View Single Post
Old 08-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #59
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
This is all confusing terminology mess -- I think you got things mixed up.

The only case where this does not apply is BlackBerry plans where generic data is restricted (i.e. blocking Opera Mini, Google Maps, Jivetalk chat, etc), often the cheap $10 or $15 BlackBerry email-only plans that some carriers sells.

Most normal BlackBerry plans are supersets of generic data plans. BlackBerry plans include two ISP's in one essentially -- both the blackberry.net (often proxied) and internet.com (not proxied). You can use both BlackBerry Browser (using blackberry.net) and Opera Mini Browser (using generic APN). Two APN's are included -- both the blackberry APN and the generic data APN -- so you get two ISP's in one when you get a BlackBerry plan.

Modern BlackBerry plans are not more limiting, they just simply include access to the BlackBerry network IN ADDITION to regular data. Even though there may be certain limits on the BlackBerry network, you still ALSO have access to generic data too.

That's why people have been successfully using SIM cards with BlackBerry plans, in iPhones, TyTN's, TREO's, Aircards, and other devices. A modern BlackBerry plan is simply a superset of a generic data plan. Such BlackBerry plans with 100% unrestricted range from $20 to $50 in the United States, or the new Rogers 6gigabyte/$30 plan in Canada, etc.
Then so that I understand. Specific to AT&T Blackberry.net is the access to email and Blackberry Browser and everything else goes via the APN which is wap.cingular for me. It is my understanding that wap.cingular is simply a proxy nat firewall and I was merely asking if it is possible to have a more direct connection to the internet for the 3rd party applications? Explains why Minuet Browser does not work which is what I wanted to try as an alternative to Opera mini.