View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 08:15 AM   #59
flop

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: private

1. BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.2 or higher
2. BlackBerry smartphones with trackballs or SurePressxxx8482; touch screen
3. BlackBerry App World is only available to customers in US, Canada and UK and may not be available on all networks
4. To use BlackBerry App World, you require a service plan that includes access to the BlackBerry® Browser

1. yes
2. yes
3. yes
4. yes

However, I don't have BIS and AppWorld still won't work. When I try from the desktop it complains that it needs Microsoft ActiveX, and when I try with MSIE the whole things just freezes. After much testing I conclude that AppWorld features the special RIM dependency on their proprietory battery pull interface and no other company implements that!

More significantly, RIM are locking customers to BIS using coercion. Locking customers in is an example of anti-trust and well suited to companies that fear they would lose customers under more open trading conditions. The really sucky part is that many of the applications on AppWorld do not require BIS (some work with TCP/APN) and yet they can only be installed with BIS. That's a really nasty (18 month) tax for what might be a single software install.

Last edited by flop; 02-06-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote