Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 AM   #29
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinzPilot View Post
By the way, I haven't had a lot of time yet to experiment with TopoExplorer, but a response I just received from the developer reminded me that when first acquiring a location fix, receiving a 0,0 lat long coordinate reading can mean that the Blackberry GPS hasn't had enough time to acquire a GPS location fix.

If you don't have a map of your current location loaded onto your GPS, then the way it should work is once your GPS acquires a fix, it will only show a blank screen with a position locator and display the lat long coordinates of your position. Some GPS software requires longer to acquire a fix (needs better triangulation with more satellites). My street navigation software acquires a fix more rapidly than does my topographic software. Try giving your Blackberry more time to acquire a fix. Sometimes can be up to 15 minutes for the first time. Much shorter thereafter. I'll continue to pursue a resolution to any issues that arise.
Yesterday it took about an hour to aquire a fix. Just because the last time I used my GPS receiver, I was about 1200 km (750 miles) away from my current position. It takes ages if I turn it back on in a new location :( But that's a common downfall of all GPS receivers in general.

It is also very helpful not to move the BlackBerry while it tries to get the first GPS fix. Moving the BlackBerry during that initial time makes it harder for the BlackBerry to get its fix ... and therefore, it takes a lot longer. So I just left the Bold in my window sill for a while and then it worked fine.

The new version of TopoExplorer is supposed to fix some GPS issues: I am now using version 1.0.83 for non-touch screen BlackBerry devices on my Bold. For touch screen BlackBerry devices the most recent version is 1.0.82 and I got that successful running on my Storm.

Btw: Google Maps uses some other sort of acquiring a GPS fix quicker rather than the satellite GPS. Therfore, you mostly get a location fix from the next cell tower your phone is logged in ... which is quite inaccurate, but it looks good

Last edited by funkym; 07-07-2009 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: update
Offline   Reply With Quote