Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
alonzop
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vzw
Default An ordeal with `Wifi-File-Share'

Please Login to Remove!

(I hope I haven't blundered by moving this message from the 9900 forum to here, its not really 9900 specific and I hope to reach a broader audience)

Summary:
How to completely uninstall a blackberry app, so that it can reinstalled fully and not just seen as something that has been installed perviously. In this case, the app is `Wifi file share' by ecsWorks.

Details:
Running 9930

I bought and used the bb app `wifi-file-share' from ECSworks

During that time my phone bricked as others have described here.
Verizon replaced it, as it was still under warrentee.

Now when I try to start wifi-file share. It tells me my license is invalid.
I guess because the phone now has a different ID (PIN).

I tried deleting and then reinstalling, (several times) but instead of giving me a chance to at least repurchase, it just tells me it is re-installed. But when I try it I get the error reported above.

So there is no chance to get past the invalid license or even to buy a new license. I would be glad too since it is only $4.99

I've checked ecsWorks web page, which has only a very basic FAQ and then refers you to a support email address, but that email address has not answered several messages sent to them over several weeks.

Apparently the email address is not monitored or the software developer has dropped the software.

I wondered if there is some way to totally uninstall this app to the point where blackberry apps does not see it as something to just reinstall, but as something new that is not and never has been installed, and therefore to bring up the dialog to purchase a license.

Doing the normal thing of `options/Device/Application mangagement/ Then `delete' followed by reboot does not accomplish that goal

Is there some better or more complete way to remove this app so that I can at least repurchase it?

OR - possibly some other software that provides samba/cifs access to the BB.

PS - Please note that I do know of another product similarly named (wifi file transfer) but it only provides ftp access.

Last edited by alonzop; 04-25-2012 at 04:06 PM.. Reason: Misspell