View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM   #5
plainman007
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

I totally agree. I bought my BB Curve about 20 days back and till date it stands nowhere near the palm or any other even normal phones. Now like the other replies say. Lets get down to specifics and see if anyone has solutions. First it doesnt do even basic things properly.

The build of the phone is CHEAP. You can see the keyboard and lcd light leaking thru other areas/gaps of the body. Right from the plastic used etc seems to be very cheap. The to do a reset, everytime we have to pull open the battery backplate and take the battery out and wait for 30 seconds.

The phone takes 5 minutes to reboot. Happy waiting.

The menus are sluggish. And yes ive checked the memory and memory cleaner and also done battery pulls. 18 mb is free. It cant even play back its ringtones in one sequence. If you scroll too quick thru the ring tones it will get stuck. A phone which slows down is a big NO. As it can let you down at the right moment.

It is the most unreliable in syncing with a computer. In Palm etc you might find duplicate entries etc only if youve done something wrong. With BB, happy cleaning, Every 4 days or 5 days i find it has duplicated records. Or created something out of order in the data. Which i will have to manually correct. Palm has such a straightforward way of syncing. This will open multiple windows and ask mutiple questions during every sync. In palm if you changed a record on the phone that wud replace the rec on the pc and vice versa. Only if you changed both inadvertently then youd find an alert which lets you choose which version of the record youd like to keep.

The BB has limited phone record entries and cant be customised. Nobody can have more than 2 work numbers. Its a new found law from RIM. And instead they gave you 2 home numbers. How many people have 2 lan phones at home. Instead 4 work numbers and 1 home would ahve been much more logical. Again the BB touts will say they know a lot of people with 2 home numbers. Use your own judgement. Try emailing BB with a doubt. There is no service or support. Even if there is you wont get an answer.

Its so funny even the shortcuts from home screen to access applications dont work in totality. About 5 of them dont work on my phone. For example the key press to get into sms never works.

Search functions are so slow. Palm and other normal phones are blazingly fast. Given they have the same physical memory.

Documents to go and pdf to go hardly run well. A pdf file will will just be blank for 70 secs before the text starts appearing on the screen. Then you can scroll thru that page. When you hit the next page. Youll have to wait for another 70 to 80 secs for the next page to load. Try reading a document like that. You will just give up in frustration. And DTG makes you pay extra for this feature. A fact they will never tell you when you buy the phone. The DTG that comes with the phone is a handicapped version with no features other than to just view and do some very basic editing to your excel sheets etc. Anything else they ask you to pay. Whereas the palm etc comes with all this preloaded and free with full functionality. I tried to search for a word in an excel sheet and it just went on a hike. No response, It doesnt show you if its searching or stuck. You dont know whats happening. After waiting for 3 minutes i realised its hung. So i did a battery pull and tried afresh. Same result no matter what you try to search on the excel sheet. Kudos Dataviz. I have now found you simply cannot search for anything on a sheet with about 1500 rows/records of data. Again for those who will defend saying its too large a file. My palm used to open and search for records on the same sheet and report the results in about 10 - 15 seconds. A resonable wait.

There is no sms threaded veiw like in palm. Its a dumb way of showing your sms when you open it it shows it as a thread. Come out of that sms and you can see the entire list of sms you sent to the same person. NOT a true threaded view like a chat. But i also did a lot of r&d before buying. I reasearched a lot and was told and say ads say that sms comes in threaded view. Thats false.

The only positives in this phone are its small size and good looks. My palm treo is a little larger. And not exactly a pocketable phone. But it did everything well and promptly. And ive never ever seen it slow down. Thats ridiculous for a phone to do. Phones can make a big difference in business, personal and emergency situations. Try relying on a BB curve.

Why did i leave palm then. They stopped making treos. Their current phones on their site all show phones which are available thru some service/ carrier provider. What happened to the simple unlocked basic phones which you bought and then went to whichever service network you wanted ? I really dont know. Before Palm was just palm. They made devices. And you used them with your service providers. But now everything seems to be a tie-up. The phones are advertised on palms site for just 40$ etc and only with some carrier tie-up. Hence my breakup with Palm. Also the phones they came out with after the TREO series were all sorta fun looking phones. Not the professional look that BB offers.

But theres a difference between finesse and features. And id rather compromise finesse and have better features than vice versa.

There are several other negatives about the BB curve that im discovering everyday. So its not exactly a joyful experience for buying this phone. And the nearly 50$ additional ive paid so far for other softwares.

Please note that all these experiences are only about my BB curve 8310 model. I dont know if the javelin and other models with their higher memory are performing better. but my comparision with palm was apples to apples because palm treo 650 has just 32 mb rom which is lower than the BB. But yet it performs far better. This is very disappointing.

Lets see what solutions we can get to these problems. I dont mind spending more money. Lets see if anyone can suggest something. Maybe even guarantee that these functions work better on the BB Javelin. Ill buy that. But whats the guarantee. That might turn out to be equally handicapped.

100% i will not recommend a BB to any friend or foe for that matter. Its the worst sluggish and badly built phone ive ever seen. In fact its just approx 20-30 days since i bought my phone yet im just waiting and searching if some other phone is there with better thought out features. In fact if palm comes back with a pure gsm handheld with no carrier tie-ups and just having the treos functions in a slimmer form factor. Ill just jump ship even right away.

Regarding buying a ton of applications to do what the BB is basically supposed to do, i should inform you, that palm and other phones have fantastic software thats "completely" free. No strings. And with real tiny memory footprints. And most of them you can install and run from the sd card. Try doing that on a BB. I dont think it allows you to install and run apps from the mediacard. For example. NOAH PRO. An excellent dictionary software with more number of words than the paid dictionaries you have to buy for the BB. The icing on the cake is that it runs from the sd card. Only the icon is shown on your home screen. The dictionary and its database etc are installed on card and run from there. And now i have to pay 40$ for a dictionary half as good. And for all you know it will choke n stutter on the BB.

Last edited by plainman007; 04-06-2010 at 12:22 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote