View Single Post
Old 09-18-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdawg View Post
I believe this is the requirements for OTA OS updates ... unless RIM changes their mind again.

BES 4.1 SP4
HH OS 4.3
It was included with OS 4.3.0, but I'm very curious as to their plans for that OS family (tentative plans show it's going to be ready for the launch of the 8120), as OS 4.3.1 is now in beta for most of the devices (including the Pearl).

Upgrade.alx (header):
Code:
<application id="net.rim.blackberry.otaupgrade">
        <name>Wireless Upgrade</name>
        <description>Provides the ability to upgrade device software over the air.</description>
        <version>%_appsVersion:V03%</version>
        <vendor>Research In Motion</vendor>
        <copyright>Copyright 2007 Research In Motion</copyright>
Module Filename: net_rim_bb_otaupgrade.cod

Going by what we already know, it will be transparent to the user for the download. From what I'm seeing here with this device, it will utilize icons for the notification of it's progress (otaicon-download.png, otaicon-new.png, otaicon-ready.png, otaicon-stopped.png). It looks like the files/modules are gzip compressed during the transfer (maybe). Anyhow, that's about all I can dig. Maybe it's already out there - haven't really read up on it too much.