View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #10
brianlyoung
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

I have a 7290 on TMO and had this problem while in Jamaica (i'm here half the year). After lengthy monthly talks with the local providers engineers and with TMO Data Services i realised that in Jamaica where they have more than one GSM provider(which i suspect is the same where you are), one or more of the providers may not be using proper filters on their networks thus the signals spill over into the other networks system and then the roaming units can't lock on properly to the intended network. TMO (in their frustrations) released all restrictions on my unit to lock onto a foreign tower. Bam, when they did this while i was on the phone with them i was able to finally get GPRS service.

Even though local providers still haven't properly filtered their systems i'm able to lock onto anyone of them even though one of them doesn't even have a roaming agreement with TMO. I haven't been billed for roaming at all since they did this. Whatever they did they really opened up my unit by taking off all the restrictions. Don't know if your provider will do the same but that could be the crux of your problem.