View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
srotman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Switch Device - BB Messenger Contact Problem

Please Login to Remove!

OK. I've searched the forums and can't find any help on this issue. I used to think when getting a new BB (eg. an RMA replacement, upgrade, etc.) you would have to notify all your BB contacts of your new PIN. I then learned that doing a Switch Device from within BB Desktop Manager and logging into your BIS account and changing your device PIN would take care of things for you and you could continue messaging your contacts from your new device like nothing had changed and your contacts wouldn't even know you were using a new device.

But... now I'm having a problem again. Got an RMA Pearl for my gf because her's was acting up and when I did the Switch Device wizard, everything transfered fine but her BB Messenger was being a pain! Her phone would show that messages were delivered to me even though they weren't, and my BB wasn't showing her new PIN for her contact info. And yes, she did go into her BIS and it asked if she wanted to set her new device as the new PIN for her BIS account, so that was already taken care of. In the end we had to remove and re-add each other to our contact lists. Now she's often showing as "unavailable" on BB Messenger and many/most of her other contacts cant message her and vice versa because their phones don't know her new PIN I guess and I would assume that when she messages them it doesn't go through simply because their end doesn't recognize who's sending the message. The odd thing is that even with all these problems the Switch Device wizard still managed to transfer the contact list in the first place, so you'd think this should work...

Any other users out there know what to do or have been in my position before?
Offline   Reply With Quote