View Single Post
Old 08-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #5
btaylor1
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Q10
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Email deleting question

hope so but don't know. i tried to write blackberry directly about this issue this morning:

Sent: Friday, August 02, 2013 8:44 AM
To: [email address]
Subject: blackberry q10

I recently upgraded my BlackBerry Bold 9900 to a BlackBerry Q10. There are many things about the newer phone I like, but two things in particular are disapppointments and major blows to my business use of BlackBerry.

The first loss I have learned (to my dismay) is the ability to delete e-mail messages from the handheld only. It was a setting under Email Reconciliation called “Delete On” and I could set to Handlheld (which was the default) so that it would only delete from the handheld. Using activesync as your eimail protocol now, I suspect BlackBerry can’t do that or you would have included it from the get-go in the new Z10 and Q10 models.

I will tell you, in my practice I get 50 to 70 e-mails during each work day. If I am out of the office visiting clients or doing something else, I need the ability quickly to look at e-mails and respond quickly, if needed. The Q10 does that. But many of the e-mail messages also need to be filed under appropriate matter numbers back at the office in Outlook and Filesite. I need and want to keep my Q10 clean and nearly empty while traveling or on the road, but the current configuration harms my ability to look at messages more carefully when I get back to my office and file them as needed in Outlook and Filesite. The Q-10's mirror-mirror approach may be fine in some developer's mind, but it took away from me a major benefit of purchasing and using a BlackBerry device.

The other major issue with my new Q-10 is under Display / Message displayed on locked screen. The Q10 lets me save Line 1 and Line 2, into which i have saved the following:

[myname] [my worktelno]

[myfirmname]

Well, those two lines do NOT display when the Security / Device Password kicks in and locks the screen. The screen will display a date and some "next event" but never my two chosen lines for "Message displayed on locked screen." (Exception: sometimes when i re-start the Q10, my two chosen lines will display.) I need my two chosen lines to display on a locked screen so if I lost the device, any honest person who found it would be able to call my office and leave me a message. I called BlackBerry technical support about this, and they had me try various things but none solved the problem. Their other suggestion was removing and reinstalling the operating system, but I balked because my device had only been in use for two days since AT&T fed'exed it to me new. They also suggested I take the device by an AT&T store and see if a salesperson might be able to find something. I did that and despite a good bit of time spent by (and with) a very bright young AT&T salesman, the "Message displayed on locked screen" function still wouldn't work.

I can tape a stickie message on the back of my Q10 with "If found please call [myname] at [my worktelno]" (and have done so), so the ineffectual "Message displayed on locked screen" is not too horrible. But my loss of the ability to delete e-mails on the handheld only is a horrible loss. I have supported continued purchases of BlackBerry by my firm, but if BlackBerry cannot or will not fix the Q10 (perhaps through an operating system upgrade?) so that I can delete e-mails only, with regrets I will have to rethink my position on BlackBerry versus competing products. Thanks for considering these thoughts, and I would welcome any in return.

Very truly yours,
Offline   Reply With Quote