View Single Post
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 PM   #10
brain
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Voice note without Remember

I incorrectly referred to voice notes as mp4 instead of .m4a files in my prior post.

I never have a need to listen to or see the notes on the BB. There are there only so that I can retrieve and transcribe them when I get back to my computer. Even with the Curve, I went several steps further and continue to do so with the Classic: when I open BB Link, it assigns a drive letter to the BB folder. I use a simple batch file that moves them from the BB voice subfolder to a folder on my desktop, then opens that folder.

I just plug in the phone, open the BB Link, and double-click my batch file. It moves the voice notes, then opens the destination folder on my computer where I then play them in Windows Media Player through my headset/speakers easily at my computer.

But on the BB Classic, each voice note is associated with a reminder note (that is empty, except for the voice note), so after I move the voice notes to my computer via my batch file, the reminder is still there on the BB, and it still shows a voice note. But when I try to open the voice note, it (correctly) says it has been deleted. Then, it seems, my only option is to delete all the reminder notes one by one.

Furthermore, when I today tried doing voice-to-text notes, I could not see them from my computer--only on the BB, where they are useless to me. I was hoping they would appear in their own folder, where I could just script a way to transfer them to my computer, where I could put them into my time log, expense, log, etc.

None of this is a complaint about the Classic--I don't expect the BB engineers to be thinking about me when they design new projects. I am just finding that it takes longer to do the same things with the Classic than it did with the Curve. And the reason I went with the Classic is because my cell phone provider (Verizon) had them on their standard list of phone and, in fact, in stock the day I walked into the store.

Unlike the other 99.9% of mobile phone users, my needs are very minimal, but specific. My business is managing small business networks: routers, servers, workstations, printers, applications (and a good dose of programming)--yet I still have very minimal needs from my mobile device, since I work 99% remotely from my home office, with my BB forwarded to my home office number. So I do not need BB gadgets; I just need to be able to take calls when out of my office, occasionally use the WiFi hotspot, and--more than anything else--a quick way to add voice notes while on projects so I do not forget to bill my clients for time & materials when I get back to the office. But it is turning out to be less simple with the Classic than with the Curve.

Last edited by brain; 05-22-2015 at 10:11 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote