Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Default Re: Blackberry Classic OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
It isn't a comparison. It's a factual answer.

Keyword is "based" and the post is accurate.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
It is factual, but it is also very ambiguous.

BBOS is Java based. Most Android apps are Java based. Both these statements are equally defensible, but they create ambiguity, and does that help anyone?

BBOS consists of a closed-source Loader, which I guess is some kind of bootstrap but it might be the kernel, which in turn launches a JVM (Java Virtual Machine, but almost certainly not a complete implementation of all Java standards). The remainder of the BBOS stack runs on that JVM.

QNX is a kernel, which could also run a JVM directly (there is one called J9) or it could run a POSIX stack such as Android. Android could then run a JVM (I think some partial implementations exist). Plenty of Android apps are written in Java. Nothing said here is untrue.

I do not deny that it is factual to say that BBOS is Java based, but I would say its about as helpful as saying you can find Japan somewhere on Earth.

What interests me is that the Android kernel is Linux, which means it is open source. The KeyOne kernel is closed source - so is it really Android? Perhaps its mostly Android, or even 100% Android compatible? Maybe 99.9% compatible, most of the time? BlackBerry needs to provide some clarity.

Remember Apple was crucified at the turn of the century for printing on their packaging that MacOS X is UNIX-based. That came as a surprise to the company that owned the original UNIX operating system. What Apple actually meant is that MacOS is compliant with UNIX standards, which means something entirely different. If Apple can make a blunder like that, who is to say others cannot make equally misleading claims?

Java is owned by Oracle, so something can only really be Java-based if its relying on code owned by Oracle. If something is Java-compliant, or Java-compatible, then say that instead of saying its Java-based.

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 06-14-2018 at 04:50 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote