Lactobacillus
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Q20
PIN: N/A
Carrier: BT
Default Re: Blackberry Classic OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
BlackBerry 10.2.1 introduced the ability to install .APK files, which are the app files used in Android, directly to the phone.
APKs are not app files. An APK file is a renamed ZIP file, which might be signed for security (and yes, having layers of security does make life harder for end users). APKs contain DEX files and other resources.

Quote:
BB is NOT running android but the internal code allows it to emulate the requirements for it to use the apps.
By Apps you probably mean Dalvik Executables (DEX), which on older Android phones would execute within a Dalvik Virtual Machine (DVM). This is still supported in Android 8.1 Oreo but it looks like DVM is now at end of life. Current Android phones can alternatively convert DEX to native OAT, which run on the Android Runtime without DVM.

Its clear that Android phones do not all use the same approach. What is BB10s approach?

Quote:
Blackberry did not (will not)update the requrements and the older BB phones running BBOS10 will not run newer apps.
I do not share your view because I have several HTC phones (100% Android) and they also do not run the newest Android apps. I find it perplexing that you think BlackBerry needs to provide better Android support than HTC does in order to qualify as being Android.

Even a Google Pixel XL does not provide users with Android compatibility all of the time:
https://productforums.google.com/for...o/Mdy1MK6WAAAJ

No manufacturer successfully revises (or at least re-releases) the hardware drivers for each of their handsets for each version of Android. It is down to users to complain or release fixes themselves. When that does not happen, the hardware will be incompatible with apps compiled for that version of Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscac
As aiharkness said it is not running Android OS
As I pointed out there are layers to Android (such as Kernel, APIs, VMs, Design Standards, etc.) and there is no definition of which layers - or how many layers - need to be present in order for an OS to be officially Android.

The Android kernel is open source Linux. In contrast, the kernel used on the BlackBerry KeyOne is closed source. This means the KeyOne cannot legally be running the Android kernel (or any Linux kernel), yet it is still marketed as Android!

Last edited by Lactobacillus; 06-15-2018 at 07:21 AM..
Offline   Reply With Quote