View Single Post
Old 06-28-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Venomous

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02 (UK)
Default Contradictory Advice regarding WiFi Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all, I am new to this both this forum and Blackberry in general so bear with me ;)

I was hoping I might get a definitive answer here regarding my BB 9800 Torch. I have searched and searched, had discussions with 02 UK, read forums and received contradictory advice and instructions so far.

Having owned my BB Torch for around one month so far, I seem to rarely be able to connect to WiFi now, when at home using my home broadband.

When I first started using the phone it was connecting to WiFi without issue, and showing the ‘gprs’ (non capitalized) symbol when I switch Data Services ON and WiFi radio ON

Now, every time I connect to WiFi I get the GPRS symbol displayed and would appear to be using my allowance on my data plan, which I don't want to needlessly do while at home.

When contacting 02, they advised that 'Yes, when GPRS is displayed, you are using mobile data and not WiFi.'

The same 'technician' (I use the term loosely) advised that Data Services should be switched OFF when using WiFi. Well, I can connect to WiFi, but not browse the web or send and receive email without Data Services set to ON, that’s always been the way I have found since having the BB Torch.

Checking the WiFi diagnostics, I am in range and receiving the signal (the signal is displayed at -66 to -82dBm)

What makes matters worse, in order I check if I am using any of my data plan and allowance, that very section in my 02 online billing with is giving me an error message (that 02 tech is 'looking into it' ?!) so I can’t check if the usage is being depleted.

Having said that 02 tell me I have so far used 1mb, which suggests the GPRS symbol maybe means I am NOT using the mobile data, contrary to what 02 are telling me.

Anyway, I'm lost now!

Can anyone offer any advice here?
Offline   Reply With Quote