Old 10-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #34
pshute
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Optus
Default Re: Wow - what an article

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody7290 View Post
If you have some links that I could try out for an example, that would be interesting.
I dont use pdfs much unless I get them in my email on my OS5 9700. This always worked, but as you said, these are most of the time things like invoices - simple, and, textbased.
I once tried out the pdf reader which comes with word to go suite, and, was pretty much disappointed. It tends to display white pages most of the time.
But I have not checked the 3.0 version which now comes with OS7.
I don't think this one is a good example, but I still don't like the time it takes to display it:
http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.7-US.pdf

Each time I press N to go to the next page, it sits there with a white screen with a question mark in the middle for several minutes before it displays it. Does it do that for you? Sometimes I have to press the menu button and select Retrieve for it to display at all.

I assume it's downloading it, but it's only a 200KB file.

This one's 500KB, and the first page came up reasonable quickly:
http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/1...romnigeria.pdf

But the next page just sits there like the previous URL. If I zoom in close enough to read it, it takes ages before it's high enough resolution to be readable. And then the quality isn't that great. The same file viewed on a PC can be zoomed in as far as you like, and it's sharp and clear.

This one's 2MB:
http://www.absa.asn.au/images/pdf/bih%20-%201.pdf
I can't get any of the pages to display.

I think we have about a 5MB limit on pdf file sizes here. After that it only offers to let you download them, which is pointless because you then can't open them at all. I think this limit might be a BES limit, and might have been raised in later BES versions.

I think sometimes I can then email myself the downloaded pdf, and opening it directly from the email gives different results to opening from a web page.

The relevance of all this to the thread topic is that a typical user will see the white screen, wait maybe 30 seconds, and go and buy an iPhone, which will display them all nicely.

I'm doing this on a 9800 running OS6.0.0.723. I'm interested to know how OS7 goes.

Quote:
If I really need to open multimedia-rich pages, I use opera. That works quite well, even, with OS5.
I haven't been using Opera, I need to learn all those shortcut keys. If it works, good, but even if it does, having to use a 3rd party browser won't stem the flow to iPhone, etc.
Quote:
Another reaon I will stick to the Blackberry solution is the built in connectivity to my office via the BES MDS - no need for a complicated VPN, everything is just there, regardless where I am.
Good point. We need access to our intranet, so I'm going to have to work something out if we go with iPhones.
Offline   Reply With Quote