View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 AM   #1
mahoward
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BESD 4.0 / 4.1 Interoperability Issues

Please Login to Remove!

OK, so I upgraded one of my main BES servers to 4.1 SP3 HF1 last weekend, but left the other two at 4.0 SP6 HF4. Since the DB Schema was upgraded, we needed to upgrade all of our BB Manager workstations to 4.1 as well.

Now, we are seeing an issue where, using the locally installed 4.1 Manager, we cannot provision a new user added to one of the 4.0 servers using the USB cable. The service books get assigned but the rest of activation / synchronization / prepopulation does not kick off. Wireless activation of new users on the 4.0 servers also seems erratic.

BTW, this upgrade was performed after getting the word at WES that 4.0 and 4.1 servers sharing the same SQL database is OK, since they have many larger accounts than ours and they can't expect them to upgrade 10's of servers at the same time.

Well apparently it is OK for existing users but not newly added users! RIM's official response now is: Well it can work but it is not recommended, and the "workaround" is to upgrade the remaining servers to 4.1.

I don't know why RIM still thinks we are all 10 user companies that can do whatever we want, some of us actually have to plan for these things and schedule them during monthly maintenance windows.

OK, enough rant. Just wanted to get the word out to any other Domino folks that are still contemplating moving multiple servers from 4.0 to 4.1.