View Single Post
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Bobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Re: BB Link Sync Issues: Continuing - Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
The focus of BB10 is on cloud connectivity, not local wired sync. BB Link has been problematic from day 1 and has improved only marginally. Syncing to a cloud service like Outlook.com or Gmail is your best bet to get the syncing you want. The old way is just not a priority anymore.
Thanks for your input. The "old way" may not be a priority, but I am of the opinion that anyone who trusts a cloud service is just plain foolish for two reasons: 1) Storing data in a cloud assumes that one will always have access to it, and 2) having access or not, no "cloud" can ever be 100% relied upon not to fail. That's why I backup so much stuff to HDDs and CDs. That may be an old-fashioned stance, but there's no doubt about reliability and permanence vs. some nebulous "cloud" out there somewhere. I trust "the cloud" about as much as I trust the Internal Revenue Service.

Perhaps I'm just being too hard-assed in my insistence for syncing via USB using BB Link, but... I travel a great deal and I sometimes find myself in areas where I have no connectivity to either the internet or a mobile network, yet in those circumstances, I still have the need to be able to sync new information to my BB. Furthermore, the capability to sync Outlook contacts and calendar using USB/BB Link has been developed, so if the effort was made to add that capability to BB Link, should it not work properly anyway? I'm not being argumentative here, just logical. Why bother to develop a capability and then have it not work properly? Just doesn't make sense (though real-world experience suggests otherwise...LOL!). The notion of "well, it really hasn't worked properly from the start, so just forget about it and use something else" just doesn't sit well with me. It is supposed to work, so work it should, if you get my drift! It's with that attitude that I will continue to find a fix.

Everyone's input and advice has been very much appreciated thus far.

Coatesville, Pennsylvania USA
(Suburban Philadelphia)
Offline   Reply With Quote