View Single Post
Old 08-20-2009, 08:35 AM   #82
kstrouse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I'd like to provide an update on my experiences in Europe and my theories and possible workarounds. I arrived in Sweden and had problems. I wouldn't get mail, couldn't connect to the Internet, and often would get a "queued" message if I tried to register the host routing table. Much of the time when data wasn't working, I'd try to find another network and it would search and search and finally just give up and stop without giving me a message of any kind (even in very large cities with lots of carriers.)
I called AT&T nearly every day for several weeks. I was sure that it had something to do with 2G and 3G and it probably does. But I also realized that it might have something to do with WiFi.
I'm traveling on a boat that has WiFi access whenever I'm in Scandinavia. I had no (or extremely few) problems at all in Germany, Latvia, Lithuania or Poland. These are coincidentally (or not) the only countries where I didn't have a WiFi connection and I switched off the WiFi on the device. I developed a theory that the Bold freaks out when I have the WiFi turned on but can't connect to a WiFi hotspot. So when I came back to Denmark and Sweden, I've been managing my access. When I want to download something big, I switch on the WiFi, do the download, and switch it back off again. I leave the WiFi off unless I'm connecting to something and using it. I've also found that when, very rarely, the device seems to lose its data connection, I turn off the mobile network, wait for a minute or so and watch the signal number go very high, and turn the network back on again. When I do all of these things, I have no trouble getting, keeping, and handing off a solid 3G connection.
RIM -- or AT&T -- should be looking at the handoff process, the one from 3G to 2G and the one from mobile to WiFi. I suspect that some piece of data that should be refreshed simply isn't.
I also upgraded to AT&T's new OS when it came out. I have no doubt that the new OS didn't address this problem at all, but I guess it's possible that this is the reason I haven't had problems in Scandinavia. But it doesn't explain why I didn't have problems in the other countries before I upgraded.
So that's my two cents. I hope someone can pass it along and it can help other people. Please keep me posted.
Offline   Reply With Quote