View Single Post
Old 02-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
tom.bruetsch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default RIM 950 Activation

Please Login to Remove!

For those of you who are RIM 950 enthusiasts, I recently tried to activate my RIM 950 in the US on the Mobitex network. I was activated through Cingular several years ago but was informed that the Mobitex network was being shut down. I found out recently that it was sold to Sprint/Nextel, and then sold to Velocita/Skytel. The reliability of the Mobitex network is legendary. There were many stories in the news about it being the only network left standing after 9/11. According to Wikipedia "Mobitex is a packet-switched, narrowband, data-only technology mainly for short burst data". This network is ideal for Blackberrys.

After suffering through device error 411 problems with my 7290, I decided to switch back to my old reliable RIM 950. I use it strictly for email, and occasional SMS messaging with I use email to do. I just add the SMS domain name to a phone number and I can text message. The building penetration is phenominal on the Mobitex network, wheras GSM/GPRS is very sketchy.

I called Velocita/Skytel to get activated. They sent me to RIM. RIM told me they would only activate for corporate customers who have Blackberry Enterprise Server or Outlook Exchange. They would not activate for Blackberry Internet Service for personal email.

Bummer. I really wish they would continue the type of service I had through Cingular. I guess Earthlink had a similar service but it is no longer available. Is there anyone out there who uses the Mobitex network for personal email? In my book, the RIM 950 was the best little device designed by RIM. It ran for weeks on a single AA battery, and the keyboard was easy to type on. I don't like the small keyboards on the newer models.

Anyone out there still using a RIM 950 on Mobitex?
Offline   Reply With Quote