Old 12-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #81
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_Guy
You know exactly what I mean. Contracts that go the full term of the agreement. I stand by my assertion of less than half go the full term of the contract.
With such a strong stand you should be able to substantiate your claim. Can you?

Quote:
Yup. RIMM has roughly 4 million subscribers. While that is very impressive no doubt, Nokia sells that many phones in a week.
Nice change of market. Nokia sells cell phones, Blackberry is PDA. You should know the difference.

Quote:
Which consumer market has RIMM been sucessful in again?
From Gartner:

Research in Motion, maker of the popular BlackBerry devices, further extended its lead to 25 per cent of the overall PDA market, increasing shipments by 52.6 per cent year over year.
HP ranked second with 16 per cent as shipments decreased by 20.2 per cent, and Palm came in third with a 36.1 per cent decline in shipments.

Quote:
Actually, the 7100 was not nearly as widely accepted as thought and poor sales of the device was one of the reasons pointed to as to why RIMM missed their subscriber number last quarter.
They missed their own estimate by 10%. Yes, such a big loss. Especially considering they expected 8700 to be part of these sales. Imagine that, they sold 640,000 devices in one quarter instead of 700,000.

They are public company and must publish their results, but can you give us the number of GL CALs sold in the last quarter?

Quote:
Such a hot seller, they were giving them away all over the place.
Let's see..$1800 at $75 a month for two years contract combined with free blackberry. People are willing to fork $1,800 for free 7100, yes, such a loser device!

Quote:
Check the top searches at Ebay (consumer enough) in the PDA category:

1. palm
2. pda
3. ipaq
4. pocket pc
5. gps

Again, where has RIMM 'won' the consumer market?
Nice change of subject, again. Yes, if you want to sell something you can rely on Ebay and use it in your sales pitch.

But I can take a bait: so, RIM is not visible on eBay where people sell stuff they don't need any more. RIM may not be there because blackberry users are more loyal to their device than palm users. I wonder, why?

It also supports my knowledge of the fact that blackberry subscribers who got free devices usually stay longer than 2 years on contract and there is more than 50% of them staying on full contract.
But I would not insist on my numbers if you can substantiate yours in opinion you so strongly expressed.

Quote:
Ahhh, the call of the "Good is just as proprietary BB" fan.
Elegant change of subject, again. You are good. I never said "as proprietary as BB." I said: GoodLink is proprietary, period.
You can't argue with it, but you can change focus to blackberry.

Quote:
GoodLink runs on industry-standard operating systems.
That does not make it less proprietary. GoodLink is proprietary client-server system running on industry-standard operating systems.

Quote:
You can pretend that RIMM "took" the consumer market when you don't have it.
Q3 of 2005 Smartphone marketshare:
Apparently, Amazon.com and eBay provide you with different numbers than I am getting. Here are mine:

The mobile version of Windows held on to first place in the operating system market, upping its share by 1.2 percentage points to 49.2 per cent. RIM's software came in second at 25 per cent followed by Palm OS at 14.9 per cent.

Quote:
If 7% of the ENTIRE smartphone market means that RIMM 'took' that market, ok, then so be it.

More than GoodLink will ever have.

Quote:
Sigh....things were going so well without any flaming....
Excellent, just excellent final touch. You are really good. Painting yourself as a victim of a flame, so that readers will feel sympathy to you and your sales pitch.

You are very good. Yes, you make small mistakes from time to time, but it is just because you let yourself cornered.

But when you do something brilliant, like posting an article about RIM having patent problem in UK and saying something like "these patent trolls, they are everywhere"- I see the master.

Shall we believe that GoodLink salesperson feels truly sorry for RIM, or is this a hidden way to raise fear, uncertainty and doubt about RIM solution?