View Single Post
Old 02-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #6
gdbjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 30886771
Carrier: Verizon

I went from a Pearl to a iPhone (waited in line 7 hours on the day it was released) and then to a Curve. The iPhone is a fantastic media device, as a phone it is OK, but as a communications device I felt it was awful, and here is why:

1) The fact that you can sent SMS's in the background. You have to watch and wait while the iPhone tries to send it. And you can't do anything else while it tries to send.

2) No push email. Yahoo supposedly will do this with the iPhone, but I had no luck in getting it to do it consistently.

3) No 3rd party apps(This will probably be fixed soon) I need my Googletalk and Yahoo clients.

4) Have to buy ringtones, or a 3rd party program that breaks after every apple update. This one kills me. I have been putting my own ringtones on phones for years, and have a nice collection and know all the common ones by heart. Hated to change them or pay to have them match up with what was on my previous phone.

5) The keyboard does suck. It guesses most of my poor typing correctly and fixes it, but not all of it. And it is slower to use.

6) Very hard to search the address book, since there is no keyboard to do a quick lookup. I don't have a lot of contacts (about 400) and I had a tough time, can't picture a power user with 1000+ contacts trying to look someone up.

So if apple ever fixes 1, 2 & 3 I might give it another try.