BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
sdedic005

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default What Blackberry is right for me?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello fellow blackberry users. It is christmas season here and I was just wondering what blackberry I should get, the Bold or the 8900. Now before you guys pick the Bold automatically because this is its forum, I want to tell you what I would like in the phone and what type of a user I am.

For one, I am not a hardcore business user, I am a 2nd year university student. I want to have a phone thats different than normal by browsing the web at times when bored and being able to check things such as bus schedule, scores of games, class schedules etc.

Number 2: I am going to be using my blackberry as a media player as well, I am not sure which model has the better player so this is another question I pose to all of you

Number 3: I do get a lot of university emails because I volunteer a lot within the community so I am not sure if one blackberry is better than other in emails.

Number 4: I will travel with this thing a lot, I am not much of a holster person and would like to keep my blackberry with me in a pocket at all times. Longevity is also key, I realize technology is always growing but I would like to have a useful machine in 2 years time.

I realize the things I have mentioned contradict the strengths and weaknesses of both the Bold and the 8900 but please taking all this into consideration, what would you reccommend for a university student with the needs I have discussed above. Your help is very much appreciated in determing a christmas present that hopefully will last me a while. Thank you!
Old 12-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
mike_187
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdedic005 View Post
Hello fellow blackberry users. It is christmas season here and I was just wondering what blackberry I should get, the Bold or the 8900. Now before you guys pick the Bold automatically because this is its forum, I want to tell you what I would like in the phone and what type of a user I am.

For one, I am not a hardcore business user, I am a 2nd year university student. I want to have a phone thats different than normal by browsing the web at times when bored and being able to check things such as bus schedule, scores of games, class schedules etc.

Number 2: I am going to be using my blackberry as a media player as well, I am not sure which model has the better player so this is another question I pose to all of you

Number 3: I do get a lot of university emails because I volunteer a lot within the community so I am not sure if one blackberry is better than other in emails.

Number 4: I will travel with this thing a lot, I am not much of a holster person and would like to keep my blackberry with me in a pocket at all times. Longevity is also key, I realize technology is always growing but I would like to have a useful machine in 2 years time.

I realize the things I have mentioned contradict the strengths and weaknesses of both the Bold and the 8900 but please taking all this into consideration, what would you reccommend for a university student with the needs I have discussed above. Your help is very much appreciated in determing a christmas present that hopefully will last me a while. Thank you!

Number 1: Bold is a 3G device and 8900 is EDGE only but you do get UMA if you are using t-mo or Rogers. There is a video comparison of the 2 loading web pages and honestly if you are not constantly browsing or downloading you wont really notice any difference.

Number 2) As far as media I dont think you will really see any difference here. Bold has a slightly bigger screen for watching movies but the 8900 has slightly higher resolution. 8900 also has a better camera. I believe they both support 16 GB + microSD.

Number 3) Email is excatly the same on every blackberry.
You might want to try which keyboard you like to type on better.

Number 4) Just use a pocket case for your device, thats all i have done with my blackberry's for a long time and never had issues.

Comes down too which device you prefer, form factor wise.
Some people like the smaller size of 8900 and find the keyboard better.
I personally prefer the Bold because I do a lot of browsing/downloading so I wanted 3G. Cant go wrong with either, but honestly for what you want the 8900 might serve you better!
Try them both for a couple of minutes at a store.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #3
sdedic005

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Wow, thank you very much for that reply. My post was actually rather long I realized after typing it so thanks for takign the time to actually read and consider it. Alright, I was thinking the 8900 too it was just a matter of how much will 3G affect me personally as a browser. Do you have any idea about the technology of 3G? For instance, will the edge network that the curve 8900 has be useless within a couple years because I want the device to have longevity too.
Closed Thread