Old 03-04-2009, 11:10 PM   #1
JoeB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Storm Issues

Please Login to Remove!

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death. I have done a search and I have read the forums quite a bit and they have always led me in the right direction.

I currently use a TMO Curve and I am very efficient with the physical keyboard. I have used the Storm in the store and can type surprisingly quick more accurate than I expected. I like the iPhone (shhhh), but I won't be happy with it long term because I am very much loyal to the Blackberry family. My question is, many many people reported issues when the Storm first came out, but when I was playing with it in the store, I really didn't have much of a problem with it. To be honest, it was actually pretty nice. Were the issues fixed with updates or am I just missing something?

Also, the touchscreen is really nice, but it's nice having a wheel/ball to move character by character in editing situations. Will I ever get used to not having a wheel/ball? Have any of you gotten used to not having a ball?

Also, I use a lot of minutes, but Verizon is so expensive. I currently have TMO with the HotSpot @ Home and that saves quite a bit on my minute usage. From what I read, Skype wouldn't really work because you need UMA. Is that true? Does anyone use Skype (or something else) with your Storm?

Anyway, thank you again for all the help in the past and I really appreciate the time people take to answer questions.

I just want to know if the Storm is really a worth-while device or if I should stay with the Curve. I know it's personal preference, but I don't have that much experience with the Storm.

Ok, now I'm starting to ramble, so I'll end here.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
Rowdie

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I can't answer many of those questions but I have a few takes....

When you talk about using the keyboard, did you use it horizontally with the Qwerty? If you did and though that worked fine then when you get one and realize the way to go is vertical with the trutype then you'll be very happy.

I think early issues were just the standard issues with change for the most part. Not that you won't want to look into some of the tips and fixes to get your storm preforming its, best.

Some real issue exist, but some have been 'fixed' and some are livable with the hope that an OS update will fix them.

I'd take the storm over the curve ten times out of ten.

Wheel ball superior for that editing but turn the hover way down and get to work on the storm and it's not bad. Not great either.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:32 AM   #3
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

JoeB,

I have a little experience with this because I used a Curve before the Storm and my wifey also has a Curve.

1. Touch vs. Physical Keyboard

IMO it's simply an adjustment and finding the right settings on the touch qwerty. In landscape mode you also have more room on a Storm Qwerty than you do with the cramped confines of the physical Curve keyboard. Additionally, the shift / alt procedure is MUCH easier on the Storm. If you have a Curve, you know what I mean. Overall, youll get faster on your Storm.

2. Touchscreen vs. Trackball

The Storm display is bigger and much easier on the eyes. I can also navigate my Storm faster with one hand. The Curve display is smaller and the trackball experience routinely requires you to bring a second hand into the equation. When ever I work the the wifey's Curve I find myself getting a little frustrated between the screen size and trackball. I also find myself trying to thumb the display. I honestly think once you begin navigating via touchscreen you won't miss your trackball. It is simply faster. Additionally, once you experience the larger, more vibrantly colorful Storm display, your Curve screen is going to appear antiquated. Don't get me wrong, the Curve is still a very functional phone. I just feel the Storm has more to offer both functionally and visually.

#3. Skype

I have never used Skype but from what I understand it uses the internet. With Verizon this would fall under the data plan, which is unlimited and will not utilize your minute plan (similarly to AIM, Yahoo, and internet surfing). I have had minute plans on various carriers and so far Verizon has been the best - in the realm of pricing. Verizon also just incorporated an option similar to TMO's fab 5. Verizon to Verizon is free and they also have the "unlimited nights and weekends" aspect. I think you will have a similar, if not cheaper, bill with Verizon.

All in all, I think the Storm IS a worthwhile device and will only add to your Blackberry experience. You definitely will fall in love with it. I have faith the touchscreen aspect will alter your personal preferences.

Verizon 9530
Old 03-05-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
JoeB

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Thanks

Thank you both for your replies.

I have spent some time in the store playing with the Storm and I really like it. I agree and think it's only a matter of time until everything goes to touchscreen and I'm sure I'll miss the ball, but I prefer the wheel to the ball anyway and adapted just fine, so I'm sure the Storm will be the same way.

I did notice the Storm was somewhat slow in certain situations. For instance, it took it's time displaying the phone screen when I pushed the green button.

It also seemed pokey when I went into the SMS/MMS app even though there were no messages in it. Sometimes it felt quick and other times it felt unusually slow. Is this normal behavior from the Storm?

My Curve is pretty responsive, but it too has bad days depending on what's running.

Overall, I think I'll like it.

Thanks again for your help.

JoeB
Closed Thread