Old 07-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #1
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Model: 8100c
PIN: 2406A5FB
Carrier: AT&T
Default edge and EDGE

Please Login to Remove!

I notice that sometimes in the upper right I get EDGE in caps, and sometimes edge in lower case. Does the case difference indicate a difference in coverage? I am with AT&T. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
brwico

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

My understanding is that edge means there is an edge network available, but for whatever reason you're not connected to it. EDGE means you're connected to it. If you go some place that only has GPRS you'll see the same thing...GPRS and gprs. Oh and if there is no data network it'll say GSM.

Last edited by brwico; 07-13-2007 at 12:02 AM..
Old 07-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwico View Post
My understanding is that edge means there is an edge network available, but for whatever reason you're not connected to it. EDGE means you're connected to it. If you go some place that only has GPRS you'll see the same thing...GPRS and gprs. Oh and if there is no data network it'll say GSM.
Thank you very much for your reply brwico!
Old 07-13-2007, 02:42 AM   #4
blackberry_dev
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Voda

I have found the same thing were i am we have edge not EDGE so the post above makes sense
Old 07-13-2007, 03:41 AM   #5
nuopus
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwico View Post
So, if I see a lowercase "edge" that means it is available? Then why isn't it connecting? Is there some kind of provisioning problem that is preventing my unit from connecting with the towers?
Old 07-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #6
penk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: v6.0.0.461 on Pink
Default borrowed from another thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4n6doc View Post
see here
Old 07-13-2007, 06:35 AM   #7
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
So, if I see a lowercase "edge" that means it is available? Then why isn't it connecting? Is there some kind of provisioning problem that is preventing my unit from connecting with the towers?
egde means that you're connected to the carrier's data network, but you are unable to authenticate to RIMs network for BlackBerry service.

EDGE means that you're connected to the carrier's data network, and you have successfully authenticated to the BlackBerry network as well.

You'll sometimes see edge if you're in an area that doesn't offer Blackberry data services on that part of the network, or if you're roaming to a different carrier that doesn't support BlackBerry data.
edge could also mean that the BlackBerry network is having trouble or is down entirely.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuopus View Post
I notice that sometimes in the upper right I get EDGE in caps, and sometimes edge in lower case. Does the case difference indicate a difference in coverage? I am with AT&T. Thanks in advance.
To answer your question, here is the sequence of events that your phone must perform in order to get the final result of full BlackBerry Data Service:

1) Lowercase edge:
Means you are connected to the voice network, but it's looking for the EDGE data network. This is prior to connecting you with the BB service network.

2) Uppercase EDGE:
Means you are connected to the voice network, then the EDGE data network, then the BB service network.

This is the normal sequence of connectivity, with any phone that runs EDGE, not just BlackBerry's.
In the case of a regular (non smart phone) phone that accesses the regular data network like MediaNET, when edge in lowercase is displayed the phone can only make calls and send SMS text messages as those are sent over the same network as voice. Then when EDGE is displayed on a regular phone that means it's connected to the voice network AND the data network.