Old 11-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
Jester4kicks

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Alternate source path for software configurations

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings all,

I am trying to find a way to designate a different folder as the source path for BB apps on one of our BES servers. (Instead of the usual %CommonProgramFiles%\Research in Motion)

The reason for this is that my company needs a place to load software that needs to be tested before it is "fully loaded" into the production environment. (Yes, I've already explained that this is still technically inside the production environment)

Quick info:
We are running BES for MS Exchange, version 4.1.6 MR3 (Rollup) (Bundle 92)

We have multiple BES Servers distributed across the environment. When we load apps into production, we load them on one particular server and then configure the application white list and proceed from there.

We tried putting the sample app (the app to be tested) in the usual place in the Research in Motion folder. The app worked fine, but because that folder is shared out to everyone (just for read access), any authenticated user in the environment could potentially connect to the shared folder on that server and snag the application.

Our security is pretty locked down, and the security team is not going to allow us to proceed with that loophole. We tried restricting the sharing permissions on just the folder that contains the app-in-testing, but because the parent \Research In Motion folder is still shared out to everyone, the contents of all subfolders are still accessible.

So that's where we're at. We have considered changing the folder permissions on the parent \Research in Motion folder, but it's a production environment and there's a lot of concern over how that would affect the environment and the existing apps already in there. (The folder is currently setup with the "Everyone"->"Read" permission. All the BES Servers utilize service accounts with a standard naming convention, so maybe we could change the permissions to only allow "Read" access for the various BES Service account?)

I'm still brainstorming options... so if anyone has thoughts on a different approach, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Jester4kicks; 11-07-2009 at 01:22 PM..
Closed Thread