Closed Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 02:04 PM   #1
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT
Angry Opera Mini 3

Please Login to Remove!

I am using the new Opera Mini browser. Not the Beta but the full version that just came out. I downloaded it because someone had said that it let's you go to web sites that my bb browser will not go I.e bank and credit card sites. I tryed but still can't get on those sites. And it appears there is no page up short cut. What do you guys think?
Old 12-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #2
ibrg

Model: 0000
Carrier: T-Mo

I still don't get it why OM. The BB browser is sufficient and acceptable, it's not like people surf, shop and work via Internet on their BB'ies. That's why laptops and desktops were created. Well, anyway, that's my line of thinking.
C'tching: 2 cents gone...
Old 12-02-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
redsoxnation

Of course people surf and work through the internet on their blackberry otherwise why not just get a mobile phone. Oh yeah hold on while I pull my laptop out of my pocket.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
ibrg

Carrier: T-Mo

LOL
Well, I can't see the font, let-along full sites via my BB, but that's cool if you do. For me eMails, calendar, work-oriented apps and the phone are why I got the BB. Surfing the Net isn't.

BTW, have you done this: "options>advanced>applications>opera mini and change the permissions to ALLOW/ALLOW in order to initiate a connection."?
And this: "Check your APN (Access Point Name) for your particular carrier.
I'm on T-Mobile and went to Options > Advanced Options > TCP > and entered wap.voicestream.com in the APN field, and left the username and password blank."?

Last edited by ibrg; 12-02-2006 at 03:27 PM..
Old 12-02-2006, 03:48 PM   #5
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsoxnation
I am using the new Opera Mini browser. Not the Beta but the full version that just came out. I downloaded it because someone had said that it let's you go to web sites that my bb browser will not go I.e bank and credit card sites. I tryed but still can't get on those sites. And it appears there is no page up short cut. What do you guys think?
I have yet to find a site that I could not access with Opera Mini, which includes such sites as American Express Credit Card site, and numerous others. I have at least 15 sites that I can access with Opera Mini that I could not access with the standard browser, and I tried all the emulation settings and every other option I could find. I am using Opera Mini v 3.06306,20061128.

I have not changed any the OM default settings but I believe the "socket" selection for network is critical to viewing the https sites. The only other trick I have noticed is that when entering a password, what happens is the BBs automatic capitalization kicks in which will often make the password entry incorrect. Since this entry is shown with ***** this may not be obvious, what I do is to enter the first digit, backspace to disable auto capitalization and then re-enter the password.

Good luck
Old 12-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
redsoxnation

Talking

I just took the OM browser off. The font wasn't the problem I just went to options and clicked LARGE font. But I it was much slower then the bb browser. But thank for you help.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
babryan

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

I have tried everything recommended here, but I still can't get OM v3 to connect. I have a Cingular 8700c with Blackberry Unlimited plan. I can connect with the Blackberry Internet Browser and also have no problems with Google Maps, BBCorrector, and Mini Gmail app. I sure would like to get this working as I have had several occasions were I needed to get a secured web page.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:28 PM   #8
krad
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babryan
I have tried everything recommended here, but I still can't get OM v3 to connect. I have a Cingular 8700c with Blackberry Unlimited plan. I can connect with the Blackberry Internet Browser and also have no problems with Google Maps, BBCorrector, and Mini Gmail app. I sure would like to get this working as I have had several occasions were I needed to get a secured web page.
are you using sockets or http? does your bes allow you to do split tunneling? My opera just stopped working... everything else was working and then i releaized my email stopped working.. my bes server shutoff. Gotta love vm's.... just rebooted it and opera works again.
Old 12-02-2006, 10:43 PM   #9
rickthornton

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Babryan,

I don't have any real suggestion to make it work for you. It would seem if you can get BBCorrector to work then you APN settings must be ok. I also have Cingular 8700C and I installed it OTA and it worked with all default settings. The only other difference in configurations is that I am using Bharti OS .284.

I would probably delete it and try to reinstall, ensuring that I accept any options that present themselves during installation. For me it would definitely be worth the effort to make this work. My BB is much more useful to me now that I can access the additional sites.

I suppose Opera Mini support is always an option as well.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:23 AM   #10
firstrebel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone UK

I have also failed to get Opera Mini to connect, even though everything else works. O2 in the UK won't help as it is a third party app.

Bob
Old 12-03-2006, 08:46 PM   #11
babryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthornton
Babryan,

I don't have any real suggestion to make it work for you. It would seem if you can get BBCorrector to work then you APN settings must be ok. I also have Cingular 8700C and I installed it OTA and it worked with all default settings. The only other difference in configurations is that I am using Bharti OS .284.

I would probably delete it and try to reinstall, ensuring that I accept any options that present themselves during installation. For me it would definitely be worth the effort to make this work. My BB is much more useful to me now that I can access the additional sites.

I suppose Opera Mini support is always an option as well.
I am using Bharti .309 and installed Opera Mini OTA. My APN settings wap.cingular with username password left blank. These are the settings that were needed to get BBCorrector working. I am on a BES server with the default IT Policy settings. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and have also accepted the http connections when asked.

I guess i'm left with trying to get Support from Opera.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM   #12
babryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by krad
are you using sockets or http? does your bes allow you to do split tunneling? My opera just stopped working... everything else was working and then i releaized my email stopped working.. my bes server shutoff. Gotta love vm's.... just rebooted it and opera works again.
I'm not sure about sockets or http because I can't get past the opera setup. As far as I know my BES does allow split tunneling since I am successfully using other third party apps that require this (including Idokorro remote desktop).
Old 12-05-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
JinFocker

Model: 8530

im having an issue with opera mini since ive upgraded to telefonica. i got this message:

Verification of server certificate failed. please check the date setting in your device.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:18 AM   #14
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation

Just made a new topic about their new release.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org

Last edited by BBFreak; 12-06-2006 at 11:22 AM..
Old 01-14-2007, 07:55 AM   #15
still.savage
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8520
Carrier: Vodafone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've DL'd opera mini 3.0 for the first time having heard some great things about it and I cannot get it to connect.

I've entered the suggested apn settings from the Opera site for my carrier (Vodafone UK), set the permissions to allow connections etc and done a battery pull.

the suggested user name and password are both 'wap' so I've tried this process with both the suggested info, leaving the spaces blank and also making sure that the password isn't capitalised! each time no luck.

When I run Opera it just says: performing tests for setup which it does (2 stages) and then when completed states failed to connect to the internet: go to opera mini help or contact your service provider for help.

any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:44 AM   #16
firstrebel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone UK

No message

Bob
Old 01-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #17
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
My APN settings wap.cingular with username password left blank.
That's quite likely your problem. As you'll find numerous places on the board here, the recommended settings for Cingular are:

APN: WAP.CINGULAR
Username: [email address]
Password: CINGULAR1

I don't know if capitalization is important or not, but all caps is what I saw recommended here, what I have in my configuration, and Opera 3 works just fine for me on my Cingular 8700c.
Closed Thread