BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:42 PM   #1
ZenMonkey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Two questions: downloading and POP mail.

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there. Returning to Blackberry after a 3-year absence. I have searched the forums and checked the FAQs but didn't find these answers; sorry if I missed them.

I just went to download the Mobile IM application, but now I don't see where I can check on this download, cancel it, see how long it'll take, etc.

Also, is there a way to force the BB to check POP email faster than every 15 minutes? I don't mean all the time, but for example if I know someone just emailed something to my POP account, can I get it to check that account or do I just have to wait the 15 minutes?
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
delmarco
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9790
Carrier: T-Mobile

I don't know about AT&T data plan.
But T-Mobile's Curve doesn't need to check for new POP mail every 15 minutes, because it gets sent right to the phone.

There is nothing to download...when you turn on your Curve for the first time, There is an email set up prompt that ask you to choose BIS or BES.
When you choose BIS, which you should, the prompts ask you to input all your email accounts, whether it be Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, work/school email and then you put the passwords for each of those accounts and viola! Everytime you get an email going to those accounts it also comes to your Blackberry. And there are icons for each email account on your home screen. So you can also send emails from those accounts be it hotmail, gmail, yahoo, etc... right from your Blackberry.

Please tell me AT&T data plan allows this since you guys pay like $20 to $50 more than us T-Mo users
for your data plans?

Last edited by delmarco; 11-24-2007 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Second question. Short answer. No. Long answer. No/Maybe. RIM polls your email servers every 15 minutes. If it finds mail, it is pushed to the BB and then RIM will repoll in about 2 minutes. If it finds mail, that is pushed and the 2 minute cycle continues. If it finds nothing, the 15 minute cycle kicks in.

Some people forward mail to gmail and/or yahoo to get it quicker. Others forward to the carrier provided email address but i never recommend that as you don't control it and the only way to get that mail is on the BB itself. Plus you are leaving yourself open to getting tons of SPAM.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
ZenMonkey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
If it finds mail, it is pushed to the BB and then RIM will repoll in about 2 minutes. If it finds mail, that is pushed and the 2 minute cycle continues. If it finds nothing, the 15 minute cycle kicks in.
Thanks, that's what I thought about the cycle as it's very similar to T-Mobile's Sidekick. However there is a key combo on the Sidekick to let you check all mail (and it will check the POP accounts). I was hoping there was something like that on the Blackberry.

All the forwarding gets too messy for me (I hate ending up with a mailbox full of mail I've already read) so I'll probably just live with it if there's no way to do it on the phone. I agree about forwarding it to the carrier address, I don't do that.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM   #5
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
I don't know about AT&T data plan.
But T-Mobile's Curve doesn't need to check for new POP mail every 15 minutes, because it gets sent right to the phone.
^^THIS information is absolutley incorrect. ALL carriers' BIS polls for new mail every 15 minutes. When mail is present, it will poll again in 2 minutes, and revert back to the 15 min cycle if nothing is present. Tmobile and AT&T and Verizon, etc., all do it the same way. It is a function of RIM, not the carrier.

The exception to that is Yahoo, GMail, and your own @carrier.blackberry.net address. Those three are pushed instantly.
Closed Thread