BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
boynateg

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T
Default BlackBerry 7130e + Averatec Laptop = No LCD

Please Login to Remove!

OK, I'm pretty sure I'm the only one to experience this, but it's worth noting. I went to place my BlackBerry 7130e on the table next my laptop, and, by accident, I accidentally placed part of the BlackBerry on top of my laptop. As the BlackBerry slid down onto the table, the laptop LCD screen flashed off and then back on. I was taken aback by this (obviously) and tried to replicate it.

I finally got it: placing the BlackBerry speaker near the headphones jack on the Averatec causes the screen to go black (it actually doesn't fully power-off, it's just extremely dim). After some more testing, I think the Averatec laptop uses a magnet to determine if the LCD is closed (there's no hitch/lever/etc). BlackBerrys use magnets to determine if they are in the holster. Somehow, I think, the BlackBerry is triggering the Averatec's "closed" LCD position and turning off the screen.

While this isn't exactly a huge "security vulnerability" for either the laptop or the BlackBerry (whose screen doesn't turn off when placed in this position), it's probably something that needs to get fixed. Is anyone else experiencing this (or something similar)?

Last edited by boynateg; 08-17-2006 at 05:41 PM..
Old 08-18-2006, 08:49 AM   #2
twharms
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmo

i don't believe it has anything to do with magnets. on laptops the screen switch is usually located in the hinges or somewhere near there. the only way to test that for sure though is get a paperclip and see if it's attracted to any part of your laptop. another thing that i have noticed is that my blackberry with mess up my CRT monitor when it is transmitting and placed too close to the screen. May be the same thing, where the transmissions interfere with your screen.

PIN: 2031512F
Closed Thread