Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
mnanda

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8120, Mac, vCards, Sync Nightmare - Please Help

Please Login to Remove!

TECH STATS:: Computer: Macbook Pro. OS: OSX 10.5.2 Phone: Blackberry Pearl 8120 Provider: T-Mobile

SOURCES CHECKED: BlackberryForums.com, Howardforums.com, Apple Support, lots of google results

PROBLEM: How to move my contacts from my desktop to my phone.

SOLUTIONS TRIED:

--installed, run and reinstalled PocketMac for Blackberry; also the most recent driver update, but it does not work. The new Pearl 8120 is not listed as a supported device - why, I have no freaking idea since the phone's been available in Europe for a while from what I understand.

--tried Bluetooth pairng, and while the devices recognize each other, they do not stay connected.

--set my micro SD card as "Mass Storage Mode" and dragged vCard over to every available directory and the card itself, but no luck.

--tried emailing the vCard. Saved the attachment, but it does not appear as a contact.

After shelling out for the phone I resent the idea that I'm going to have to spend another $40 for Missing Sync (does THAT support this new phone? Hard to tell from website) or $20 for vcardmaster for which I can only find advertisements and no reviews. Are these my only options?

RANT: By now, I probably could have just retyped everything. I'm almost starting to wish I had just gotten a damn iPhone. As a new Blackberry user, I'd just like to say thank you so very $#!%ing much to RIM for making me feel like such a valued customer and for eating up hours of my time.

I'd also love to know why, in 2008, when the average cell phone has as much computing power as it took to send a man to the moon in 1969 (for reals!) this should be so difficult, but I guess that's too much to ask.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #2
Jamesd1984

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular/At&t
Default Just went through this exact same thing....

[QUOTE
RANT: By now, I probably could have just retyped everything. I'm almost starting to wish I had just gotten a damn iPhone. As a new Blackberry user, I'd just like to say thank you so very $#!%ing much to RIM for making me feel like such a valued customer and for eating up hours of my time.

I'd also love to know why, in 2008, when the average cell phone has as much computing power as it took to send a man to the moon in 1969 (for reals!) this should be so difficult, but I guess that's too much to ask.[/QUOTE]

So I was working one day, taking calls for Apple technical support, and a customer called in asking if I knew anything about using his blackberry phone as an external modem to connect to the internet. Of course I had to look this up because I was just starting to work in the portable/desktop department.

I found an article for the customer on google because the kbase wasn't being any help. Askdavetaylor.com or something like that, anyways it was step by step on how to use the blackberry as a modem and it also interested me. I went and bought a blackberry 8100. I was thinking that since I worked for apple I'd be able to figure this SHIT out by now. I tried multiple drivers for the blackberry, multiple "scripts" that don't work. I think one was called pocketmac to sync everything. You'd think a direct connection with a USB would work just fine but it seemed to never find the phone. The bluetooth never found the phone either. The phone found the computer, but the computer did not find the phone in anyway shape or form. I'm sure it is some stupid ass preference or driver or setting or advanced options or what ever the hell you wanna call this crap I'm pointlessly ranting away about. I just wish if something was offered out there then there would be betting information on this stuff. Thanks for reading my technical rant

I wish I just bought a damn iphone
Old 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
galfromdownunder

Model: 7130c
Carrier: Vodafone downunder, AT&T upover

The iPhone is still lousy for serious business email. Great toy though. I had one for 10 days then returned it. I have a Powerbook G4. I just bought a Pearl 8120 off Craigslist and am delighted that PocketMac syncs at least 1300 of my 1600 addresses now, plus the notes. That's an improvement on the 300 it use to sync on my 7130c. I've been sorely tempted by these incredibly alluring devices from Samsung, Motorola etc etc, but I've noticed that as of November 2008, no matter what cellphone store I go into, no matter what carrier, the staff all say, if you want to do serious guerilla email, there is still only one phone that does it best - the Crackberry.
Closed Thread