Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
fmaldonadov

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Google maps through WiFi connection

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys,

I've recently got a BB 8120 pearl but i didn't suscribe a data plan. I've been reading many threads but i didn't get a clear answer so, my question is:

is it possible to use google maps without a data connection (using only WiFi connection)? if yes How? I've been reading about UMA , service books, HETbut i am new on BB so i am quite lost and thoose words sounds me strange.

Thank you for your help
Old 10-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Short answer - Nope. GoogleMaps (and BBMaps) download map data as you move. therefore a WiFi/Hotspot connection won't do you much good. You should checkout the GPS section for more info.

You really need a BB data plan to get the most out of the device. Read the FAQ article on my you need a data plan.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
dmacd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
Short answer - Nope. GoogleMaps (and BBMaps) download map data as you move. therefore a WiFi/Hotspot connection won't do you much good. You should checkout the GPS section for more info.

You really need a BB data plan to get the most out of the device. Read the FAQ article on my you need a data plan.
Quite right that using Google Maps or BBMaps through WiFi won't allow you to use those apps 'on the move', as you'll soon be out of range of the WiFi, but they will work with WiFi. You can use the map apps to look things up.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:06 AM   #4
fmaldonadov

Thank you for your answers. Of course, i know maps are not going to work "on the move" but only where i was covered by a WiFi signal (e.g. at home). However, even when i am connected to a WiFi network my Google Maps application tells me i need a data connection and does not start. So i am wondering why. I have read about people that was able to do this but i don't know how. am i missing somehing important??

Regards
Old 10-02-2008, 08:34 AM   #5
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmaldonadov View Post
Thank you for your answers. Of course, i know maps are not going to work "on the move" but only where i was covered by a WiFi signal (e.g. at home). However, even when i am connected to a WiFi network my Google Maps application tells me i need a data connection and does not start. So i am wondering why. I have read about people that was able to do this but i don't know how. am i missing somehing important??

Regards
Seems to work for me. Are you using the latest Google Maps (version 2.3.1)? Can you use the BB Browser through WiFi - with the phone turned off?
Old 10-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #6
cctraderx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT, T-Mo

dmacd - do you have a service plan?

I think you need to have a plan and then the service books are on your machine and then you can use the aps.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:22 AM   #7
dmacd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cctraderx View Post
dmacd - do you have a service plan?

I think you need to have a plan and then the service books are on your machine and then you can use the aps.
Yes I do. I think you are right - a service plan is probably required.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:07 AM   #8
fmaldonadov

Hi guys, thanks for your help. I've just switched off the gprs connection so my only access right now is through my office Wifi signal. I can surf the web with the browser although google maps in not still working. However the app is not showing the error message, just keeps waiting loading (version is 2.3.1, i downloaded it from google site). Sorry about my ignorance but What is a service plan? What are service books?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:08 AM   #9
fmaldonadov

and how can i get them if necesary?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #10
dkchong

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've the same problem w/ Google Map. Currently, I own the 8320 with T-Mobile provider. Every time I click on the icon, it loads about 1/5 of the way. Then, It says that I don't have the data connection. I've no problem browse around the web through Wi-Fi. I don't have the data plan. Your helps and feedback are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:05 PM   #11
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

You need a data plan in order to use any of the map applications -- Google or BlackBerry. Wifi won't work with them.
Closed Thread