BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: "The New" AT&T\Old Cingular (previously had T-Mobile)
Default MP3 Attached to a BES Email - Is Listening\Saving Possible?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm on a BES and frequently I receive MP3\AAC\WAV clips and I thought that the BB was capable of extracting these in an email and playing them, however when I received an email with 4 mp3 files attached, the blackberry didn't recognize that there were attachments on them (aka file not supported I assume).

First of all is it possible to accomplish this? In reading up I have seen people say yes and no... any BES admins out there that can clarify?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #2
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Haven't tried mp3's yet, but I get e-mails with .wav attachments for my voicemail messages and the 8300 can play them as an attachment right from the e-mail.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:59 PM   #3
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by he1neken View Post
Haven't tried mp3's yet, but I get e-mails with .wav attachments for my voicemail messages and the 8300 can play them as an attachment right from the e-mail.
Could you (or someone) check the following...

- See if an mp3 will play
- Verify you're on BES not BIS

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
gfisher99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&Tingular

I am a BES Admin and I can tell you that you cannot open/save an MP3 from an email attachment.

If the BES cannot recognize it, you cant do anything with it.

I just tried it and no workie.

Im sure with all the multimedia devices coming out lately that they will add support for it at some point. Biggest problem will be downloading a 4MB file over EDGE.

HTH
Greg
Old 06-15-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Abell,

Try masterdoc - it allows playing and saving for further playing(to flash memory or SD) WAV and MP3 attachments. Trail is available at Downloads Productivity applications for RIM OS v4.0 Blackberry of DynoPlex
Old 06-16-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfisher99 View Post
I am a BES Admin and I can tell you that you cannot open/save an MP3 from an email attachment.

If the BES cannot recognize it, you cant do anything with it.

I just tried it and no workie.

Im sure with all the multimedia devices coming out lately that they will add support for it at some point. Biggest problem will be downloading a 4MB file over EDGE.

HTH
Greg
Hi Greg-

Thanks for the response. I guess for the purposes of music distribution an mp3 over edge wouldn't make much sense. My company is trying to be "safe"... someone came up with the idea that when company news release comes out, rather than attaching a PDF they're going to send mp3 sound bytes (no more than 30k each, just brief, low quality audio announcement). While the users of the pocket pcs have no issues with these, it seems the blackberry doesn't have a method of handling, which is kinda annoying. What to do?

Andrew
Old 06-16-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
abell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbra View Post
Abell,

Try masterdoc - it allows playing and saving for further playing(to flash memory or SD) WAV and MP3 attachments. Trail is available at Downloads Productivity applications for RIM OS v4.0 Blackberry of DynoPlex
In reading through this it seems this application has nothing to do with what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'm looking to listen to a 20-30k mp3 byte that's attached to an email coming across to me on the BES. The handheld doesn't even recognize there being an attachment. This application you directed me too seems to require back end support on the server, and I'm not looking for that.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Quote:
Originally Posted by abell View Post
In reading through this it seems this application has nothing to do with what I'm trying to accomplish here. I'm looking to listen to a 20-30k mp3 byte that's attached to an email coming across to me on the BES. The handheld doesn't even recognize there being an attachment. This application you directed me too seems to require back end support on the server, and I'm not looking for that.
MasterDoc does not require anything installed on your BES. The application is installed on a BB and works from this BB. Although the attachment processing into files is handled by a remote server.
Closed Thread