Old 12-13-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Restocking Fee

Please Login to Remove!

I just called my local Verizon dealer to order the Storm (I have an 8830) and was told I must come in to do this and play with one first to make sure I like it, because if I returned it during the 30 day "trial" period, there would be a $35.00 restocking fee! Does anyone know about this fraud? I know that if I return a product to just about any retailer in the USA because it did not work as advertised or had too many issues I would get my money back, period!
Old 12-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8330)

Yes, they got me with the restocking fee. Correct me if I am wrong but VZW is the only one that has a restocking fee.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:23 PM   #3
thesashamonster

Model: 8310
PIN: 2089abb8
Carrier: ATT

AT&T has a $20 dollar one. My bb broke and when I returned it I had to pay $20.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

It's not fraud if they're telling you about it upfront - which they did, and it's also become common knowledge on the Internet if you read people's accounts with the Storm. Several retailers out there have policies like this in place for certain products - it's just a safeguard for the business.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:01 PM   #5
marcusblade

Model: 8130
Default Restocking Fee

There is no restocking fee if you return the phone and either get the same model or no phone at all. I have done this many times in the last few months. Read the 30 day worry free guarantee on the Verizon Website. If you plan to return the phone and get a different model you will be charged the restocking fee. Also if you wanted a different model you have to wait 3 days after you return your phone to get a different model. Of course all this has to be done within the 30 days.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #6
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusblade View Post
There is no restocking fee if you return the phone and either get the same model or no phone at all. I have done this many times in the last few months. Read the 30 day worry free guarantee on the Verizon Website. If you plan to return the phone and get a different model you will be charged the restocking fee. Also if you wanted a different model you have to wait 3 days after you return your phone to get a different model. Of course all this has to be done within the 30 days.
I have done lot's of exchanges with Verizon over the 8 years I have been with them. This is what I know from my experience.

1. When you buy a new phone, you can switch it for another phone of equal model or different with no cost at all. Within the first 30 days. In fact, if you get a defective phone, they will exchange it at no cost during the first 30 days, after that they will send the replacement via mail.
2. If you return the phone and don't replace it with another you will be subject to the $35 restocking fee.

That's my two cents worth.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #7
jmdaniel

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

I returned my second non-functional Bold to AT&T, and told them I didn't want to go through all the hassle of trying to see if I could find one that works. They tried to charge me the $20 restocking fee, at least until I loudly asked, in a store full of AT&T customers, if they intended to restock a phone that they knew didn't work.

The fee was not charged.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 AM   #8
Rustproofcorn

Model: 9530
Carrier: verizon

well that is different than just taking back a phone because it doesnt work they way you think it should...
Old 12-14-2008, 03:12 AM   #9
jmdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
well that is different than just taking back a phone because it doesnt work they way you think it should...
Funny that it took my actions to convince them of that, however. They were spouting restock policy, and didn't delineate by cause of return. Plus it appears that this person paid the restock on a broken BB:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesashamonster View Post
AT&T has a $20 dollar one. My bb broke and when I returned it I had to pay $20.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:19 AM   #10
Rustproofcorn

i would say that is because the at&t reps dont understand what a restocking fee is.. the fact is if you know how to talk to people a restocking few would almost never apply without lying i may add..
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 AM   #11
HipHop615

Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Ya they dont give a restock fee if you get the same phone, I already ordered a new storm.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #12
michael12005

Model: Tour

My point is that if you buy a toaster from Bed Bath & Beyond or Dillards and it does not toast properly you take it back with your receipt and get your money back, no questions asked, no restocking fee. Why should Verizon charge a restocking fee if the Storm does not do what it is advertised to do and that includes a battery that does not even last a whole day? Why should an owner of a Storm have to CONSERVE power and not use it in order to make the battery last all day? If you pay 200 bucks for a cell phone you should at least be able to use it for 12 hours minimum. Same applies to the camera. If it does not take "decent" photos you should be able to return the Storm and get your money back! Folk return stuff to Target, Walmart, Sears et al every day because the stuff does not perform to their satisfaction, with no restocking fee. Why should Verizon be any different?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
taeisme
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Well you can't compare department stores to cell phone stores, that's apples and oranges. Write the VZW people and complain tactfully about the restocking fee. Personally I don't mind it, when I was in Okinawa the cellphone companies don't let you switch or try out a phone for 30 days.. Imagine being stuck with a phone you thought you would like for 2 years....

Last edited by taeisme; 12-14-2008 at 08:43 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 01:49 AM   #14
richpjr

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by taeisme View Post

Well you can't compare department stores to cell phone stores, that's apples and oranges. Write the VZW people and complain tactfully about the restocking fee. Personally I don't mind it, when I was in Okinawa the cellphone companies don't let you switch or try out a phone for 30 days.. Imagine being stuck with a phone you thought you would like for 2 years....
I'm not sure it really is different. In both cases, the customer bought something that they aren't satisfied with. One charges you for it and one doesn't. Even worse, the one charging you for it is also charging you a monthly fee and more than making up what it cost them on a return.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:00 AM   #15
Rustproofcorn

Wirelessly posted

Walmart charges 5 bucks for toilet paper worth 5 bucks. Verizon charges 250 for something worth 600. Then when you return it because the battery doesn't last as long as you think it should (rolls eyes)then they have to try and sell a used phone.. That sounds different to me.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:23 AM   #16
jmdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustproofcorn View Post
Wirelessly posted

Walmart charges 5 bucks for toilet paper worth 5 bucks. Verizon charges 250 for something worth 600. Then when you return it because the battery doesn't last as long as you think it should (rolls eyes)then they have to try and sell a used phone.. That sounds different to me.
I'm pretty sure Walmart wouldn't even let you bring that toilet paper back, if you didn't like its performance...
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
stormson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW

i returned my storm & days after it was released and wasnt charged any fees. FWIW
Closed Thread