BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
andysweb

Model: 8820
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Lightbulb Storm for business, does it work in real life?

Please Login to Remove!

I am thinking of upgrading my Blackberry 8820 to a Blackberry Storm. But i use it for business, i would like to know in real world situation s does it work?

Thanks guys!

Blog Doctor Who
health-massagers.co.uk
Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
soupandsandwich

Huh?
What do you mean "does it work"?

Old 12-14-2008, 04:20 PM   #3
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

It is a BlackBerry it works the same as every BlackBerry. The question is can you handle a touch screen.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:29 PM   #4
Metropolis
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 8330)

Mm. How hard is the storm to type on?

I tried it at the store. I hit the "h" key and the camera popped up. .. So I took a pretty picture and forgot about the text.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
UndergroundWire

PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

There is a warning label in the box. It reads:

Will not work in the work environment.
Please keep away from iPhone fanboys.
If eaten, wait 45 minutes before swimming.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
chrys7

Carrier: Verizon THE KING!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysweb View Post
I am thinking of upgrading my Blackberry 8820 to a Blackberry Storm. But i use it for business, i would like to know in real world situation s does it work?

Thanks guys!

Not sure what your asking but I had a curve on a BES moved to Storm on bes
works fine in every way...Touchscreen takes getting used to. I got used to it in 2 days since i shelfed my curve cold turkey
Old 12-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #7
falcontrainer
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have several test units in my environment. (60 users, 8.02 Domino, 4.3 BES) But the age group I have is approx 50+ so change is hard but to take away the screen all together is to much for most of my users.
I have rolled out a testing environment where I have a couple dummy accounts setup in Notes and have the tester bb's set to those accounts.(So they can email back and forth) I let them have the phones for a 1 or 2 week to see if they like how they work/feel.(Since everyone "wants" them now we would have pay some serious upgrade $$) I have had several people say no thanks, already. You may want to think about doing something similar to this ?!?!?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
Getup1995
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

It works just like any other blackberry. The touch screen is a bit difficult to get acclimated to, but once I did I donxxx8217;t think I can go back. Get it and try it out, you have 30 days.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:41 PM   #9
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Works Fine on BIS

I use my Storm almost exclusively for business. I upgraded from an 8703e. The biggest difference is the keyboard as has been previously pointed out. If you know how to type with your thumbs (I didn't) you will have no problem with the Storm. It took me a little more than a week to get my thumb typing up to about the same speed as my previous single-finger approach.

You will find the "documents to go" apps a blessing. I do recommend that you upgrade and get the "PDF to go" app as well. This allows you to read, edit and create the nasic business document formats. You can also e-mail any of them directly of them from the Storm which I have found is really convenient. I carry my important docs (the ones I am frequently asked to supply to people) and believe me when I tell you that people are impressed that you can push a few buttons in a meeting and they have the document instantly.

I also run a bunch of other 3rd party apps for expense management, vehicle management, CRM, project management, and an Excel clone (Grid Magic, really great program left over from before, even though I have "Sheets to go" which handles Excel) and a few others.

You just have to be careful about compatibility with the Storm os on the 3rd party stuff.

In short, my Storm is a portable office with significant functionality.

BTW: Make sure you follow the advice on this forum and disable the event log and also set the receiver to only receive 1XEV (unkess you really need the multi-mode). Also you must use at least OS 4.7.0.75. If you do these things, you will have a great tool.

Hope this helps 73

Last edited by hudres; 12-14-2008 at 10:53 PM..
Old 12-15-2008, 01:44 PM   #10
donhahn

Model: 8830
Smile storm or not - you'll get used to it.

had 8830, loved it except for memory leakage on 2 of them, consecutively. I use it almost exclusively for business, emails, text, messenger, calendar, tasks. It' now "fun" to have a beautiful screen and some non work added to it. The suretouch keyboard does need getting used to and one trick I've found is keep your left and right hand where they're supposed to be, i.e., with the 8830, i used one thumb all over the keyboard. With the storm, trying to go to the left side of QWERTY with right thumb inevitably will end up hitting the key to the right of what you want - almost like they assumed you would be keeping thumbs on the "right" hands. Makes almost impossible to type one handed in traffic though, that's probably a good thing.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #11
Gradiego

Carrier: VERIZON
Default "Phone" Takes Getting Used To

If you make a ton of phone calls like I do (3000 minutes/month) then you will have a big learning curve. Here are my observations so far.
The phone itself can show number pad, call log or contacts individually, but not at the same time. You have to press the icon for the one you want to use. (these icons should be moved to the bottom of the screen for better one had access) Plus you have to scroll or bring the keyboard up and spell then name in contacts. Not hard, but there are some extra steps involved. Harder if you have a big address book.
My previous berry the Curve will let you dial or spell the name or see the call log all at the same time. Very easy to find a number. I know I can use the voice dial with a soft key, but most of my time is spent in the car and that doesn't work with my car's bluetooth.
The Visual VMail feature is great, but it does not work via bluetooth in my car again so I have it set on speaker phone.
I constantly press mute or speaker phone with my cheek when my storm is to my ear.
If you are working your way through a phone tree and need to get to the number pad you have to press that icon (number pad) first.
One hand manipulation isn't the easiest. Two hands works best.
I find myself having to always look at the screen to be sure I press the correct button or icon. There are no buttons to feel so no muscle memory.
Texting =Great
Emails =Great
Media =Great

I know it sounds like I am complaining, but I am not. I am not as familiar with it as I would like. This is what you will encounter if you use the "phone" heavily.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:44 PM   #12
mrjerome
Thumbs Must Hurt

I own a landscaping business and it works great. I like the calendar, the emails, the camera and video are the bomb!