BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Can You Open Video Email Attachments on your 8100 Series Phone?
Yes I Can, Sucks To Be You! 5 38.46%
No I Can't, I Feel Your Pain and Share Your Frustration! 8 61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
Ckacked_Berry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: MTS Mobility
Question Nobody Answers Video Attachment Questions... EVER!

Please Login to Remove!

As a new member I have found this forum to be very helpful... so first off Thank You All.

That said I have spent the entire afternoon searching this forum and the BB FAQ section and to my dismay I have found DOZENS of unanswered threads on the following problem:

The 8100 Series BB (including my model of the 8130) and possibly other models does not support opening any type of video attachment received in an email.

I am shocked on how many people continuously post this question and no one offers any sort of explanation, third party software or workaround. It seems to me (and forgive me if I am wrong) that everyone is happy just to turn a blind eye to this concern.

Seen below are screenshots of me trying to open email attachments on my 8130, first is of a Word .doc and the second is of a small .3GP Video

Notice how it doesn't even give you an option to open the .3GP Video attachment, like it doesn't even exist!

According to the BB FAQ found here, the following Video Formats are Supported:

MPEG-4 Part 2 (Simple Profile and bvop, including DivX 4)
File formats - .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov
Video - Up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 30 frames per second
H.263 (Profile 0 & Profile 3)
File formats - .avi, .3gp, .mp4, .mov
Video - up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 30 frames per second
Windows Media Video (Simple Profile)
File formats - .wmv
Video - Up to 320 x 240, up to 800 kbps, up to 24 frames per second

So please, I invite everyone who took the time to view this post to either weigh in on weather or not they can open any type of video attachment received in an EMAIL and/or an explanation as to why even though the above file types are supported by BB 8100 series devices and can be played off the media card after recording or after being uploaded via desktop software to the card but NOT opened if attached to an email.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Ben850
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: G1
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

Can you save them to your card and then open them with docs2go/media player?
Old 09-24-2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

those media formats are what are available to be viewed, not by email, but on the device itself. Keep in mind that the media player is NOT the same as the attachment handler installed on the device. plug your device up to DM, and read through the apps that are installed.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Ckacked_Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben850 View Post
Wirelessly posted (T-Mobile 8120)

Can you save them to your card and then open them with docs2go/media player?
Not sure about the docs2go/media player but I do know that you can't do a thing with the alleged attachment, that includes saving it anywhere. It's like the attachment has been completely stripped out of the email. As seen in the photos above, there are no options at all involving the attachment nor in the "full menu" either. Also, there is no paperclip on envelope type indication showing in the messages folder as all the other .doc attachments have.

Lets all be honest here...

Can Anybody Open Any Type of Video Attachment That Was Received in an Email? You Don't Even Have To Be The 1 Who Acknowledges This Flaw... For Heavens Sake Just Answer In The Anonymous Poll If You Are Too Scared/Ashamed to Speak Up... LOL
Old 09-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Ckacked_Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
those media formats are what are available to be viewed, not by email, but on the device itself. Keep in mind that the media player is NOT the same as the attachment handler installed on the device. plug your device up to DM, and read through the apps that are installed.
OK that's fine... I can accept that... now what program handles the attachments? Is there something I can install that can handle these .3GP files (which is the native file recording format I might ad) in such a manner as to allow me to play them or save them to the memory card and then play them with a media player? What do I look for Sith_Apprentice?

P.S. Thanks you for having the courage to respond... not many people will even acknowledge this problem
Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM   #6
Ckacked_Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Plug your device up to DM, and read through the apps that are installed.

Well here are the screenshots of what is installed, can you make any sense of it Sith_Apprentice?

Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 PM   #7
PearlDavis

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile
Angry I Agree!!!

Not that I can help you with this video attachment problem as I am having the same problem. Blackberry's can pretty much do everything else but cant view video's sent to them??? Yet they can send them to others? What kind of one-way-street crap is this?

Out of all of the blackberry experts/fiends out there no one can answer this simple question of a video attachment?

1) Can it happen or can't it?

2) Is there a software fix to this issue? In other words, is there any way to view videos sent to you?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
SanDogDewey

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&t

I agree. This is a major PITA.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

With 4.5 when i send video attachments to my friend's curves with 4.5 they can see my videos fine and vice versa. When I send to my wife's 8100 pearl it shows as a slide and play somewhat. For those without 4.5 it doesnt seem to play. The videos i am refering to are videos i have recorded with my pearl.

Frankly emailing a video has never been a big deal to me.

But believe it or not even though this is blackberryforums some questions simply cannot be answered. Since i dont have alot of answers I stay quiet. Perhaps the reason for silence to your question is that the answer is unknown.
Closed Thread