BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: What should happen to the Ban on Gays in the Military?
Keep it in place 6 18.75%
Get rid of it now 20 62.50%
Wait till next year 0 0%
Beer 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #21
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
and Troy if they remained private then they wouldnt get bashed.
Wow, simply wow. Why should someone be bashed for who they are? If the shoe was on the other foot, should straight people remain private so they don't get bashed? I agree with Troy, labeling = .

I disagree on the marriage statement as well. I think if you love someone, regardless of what sex they are, you should be able to marry that person. Marriage is sacred as you say, right? Aren't the vows along the lines of "for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part." Well, if it's so sacred and you vow that to each other, then why is the divorce rate through the roof? The divorce rate being the way it is right now doesn't make marriage look so sacred in my eyes.

If you want to ban gay marriage because it ruins the sacredness of marriage, then you should ban divorce as well.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:27 AM   #22
dmead
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: EVO
PIN: the tail on the donkey!

straight people have done of really good job in the last 50 years of keeping marriage sacred haven't we?
Old 03-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #23
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Marriage is between a man and a woman. I have no issue with civil unions. But marriage should remain sacred. I know I will get flamed highly for this but that is my opinion.

and Troy if they remained private then they wouldnt get bashed. I know quite a few homosexuals and I consider a few friends. I would have never known they were gay had i not seen them on the news at a gay pride parade.

I think ones sexual preference should remain private unless someone asks.

Dmead I think marriage announcments are not announcing sexual preference at all. It basically says they are getting married.

what I think is funny we have been discussing economics and the down fall of the country in these threads and the thread about gays in the military bring out more people than whats really important.
Who brought up marriage? This is about people in the military. And I have to say I don't think "gays" could screw marriage up any worse than a hetro couple.

For sexual preference to remain private you would never be able to say I am going out with my wife because you just told everyone you are hetro.

What does the gay person say to protect your poor ears? I am going to dinner with my Roommate? Best Friend?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #24
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Troy if they remained private then they wouldnt get bashed.
I guess thats why women get bashed? They don't keep quiet and to them selfs?

I love the theory of just shut up. Welcome to North Korea!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #25
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Here is my .02....

As long as they are not out in public kissing / getting it on while in uniform then I can care less about gays in the military...

Perhaps if there was a way to prove it, some of our greatest war heroes *might* have been gay....

Of all who stormed Normandy and bravely gave their life, I guarantee a few were gay...

Like I said, my .02

Kris
Old 03-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Wow, simply wow. Why should someone be bashed for who they are? If the shoe was on the other foot, should straight people remain private so they don't get bashed? I agree with Troy, labeling = .

I disagree on the marriage statement as well. I think if you love someone, regardless of what sex they are, you should be able to marry that person. Marriage is sacred as you say, right? Aren't the vows along the lines of "for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part." Well, if it's so sacred and you vow that to each other, then why is the divorce rate through the roof? The divorce rate being the way it is right now doesn't make marriage look so sacred in my eyes.

If you want to ban gay marriage because it ruins the sacredness of marriage, then you should ban divorce as well.
Actually my vows said what God has brought together no man shall tear apart.

Being homosexual is against Gods wishes. It plainly states man should not lie with man as he does with a woman.

And divorce is against Gods wishes as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyDBrown View Post
Who brought up marriage? This is about people in the military. And I have to say I don't think "gays" could screw marriage up any worse than a hetro couple.

For sexual preference to remain private you would never be able to say I am going out with my wife because you just told everyone you are hetro.

What does the gay person say to protect your poor ears? I am going to dinner with my Roommate? Best Friend?
As I stated I dont care if they are gay or not. I have Gay friends. But I disagree with gqay marriage. Why not dog and man. Woman and horse?

Quote:

who told anyone to shut up?
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM   #27
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

SMFH

If homosexuality is against gods word at least at death the haters will no longer have to tolerate them as they will all be attending a Pride celebration in hell.

I love how when gay marriage gets brought up the defense is "whats next a dog?" Really is that all you have to bash people who find love that you don't agree with?

I am gay, I am proud and it is the people that hate that make me state something very personal to me. I usually don't share that I am gay. If people would not discriminate and hate because it makes them feel better about themselves while chugging a beer with their "straight" friend at a bar us "GAYs" would shut up and go away. People need to take a long hard look at their own lives before pointing fingers that others are sinners or immoral.

As with all forms of discrimination the "gays" will have their day. It just takes time for all the narrow minded to find a new topic.

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 03-03-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 03-03-2009, 07:27 PM   #28
jsconyers

Quote:
Actually my vows said what God has brought together no man shall tear apart.

Being homosexual is against Gods wishes. It plainly states man should not lie with man as he does with a woman.

And divorce is against Gods wishes as well

As I stated I dont care if they are gay or not. I have Gay friends. But I disagree with gqay marriage. Why not dog and man. Woman and horse?

who told anyone to shut up?
You said they should keep it private so they don't get bashed. I took that as indirectly telling them to shut up as well.

You are comparing same-sex marriages with human-animal marriages? Are you kidding me, Dawg? Is that your argument.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #29
jsconyers

Quote:
SMFH

If homosexuality is against gods word at least at death the haters will no longer have to tolerate them as they will all be attending a Pride celebration in hell.

I love how when gay marriage gets brought up the defense is "whats next a dog?" Really is that all you have to bash people who find love that you don't agree with?

I am gay, I am proud and it is the people that hate that make me state something very personal to me. I usually don't share that I am gay. If people would not discriminate and hate because it makes them feel better about themselves while chugging a beer with their "straight" friend at a bar us "GAYs" would shut up and go away. People need to take a long hard look at their own lives before pointing fingers that others are sinners or immoral.

As with all forms of discrimination the "gays" will have their day. It just takes time for all the narrow minded to find a new topic.
Well said, Troy

+1
Old 03-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #30
dmead

+another
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
SMFH

I haven't said I hate anyone gay. Not once in my life have I ever stated I hate gays. I have never bashed a single gay person.

All I said was I do not agree with gay marriage. If that makes me a bad person then I am a bad person. We each have our own views. I am not going to apologize for anything I have stated.

I also stated what my faith says. But there again you flamed me for my beliefs.

And again you read something I never once said. I never told anyone to shut up. I don't go around telling anyone that i am straight is all I said.

Ok throw out the dog, why not let people marry more than one person. Why not let them marry children? But you think that is immoral don't you?

If you are gay be gay, I am happy for you. But I dont want to hear about it. I don't wanna hear about my staraight friends relationships either. As I stated everyones sexual preference should remain private. I don't condone PDA with anyone.

And Troy none of this was personally directed at anyone. If you want to be pissed or what ever I am sorry you feel that way.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:56 PM   #32
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

This thread has gotten way out of hand and off topic

It was simple gays in military yes or no

Lift ban on don't ask don't tell

Instead a respected member has felt compelled to share a very personal bit of info out of anger and to make a point!
Today I am disappointed in BBF!

This thread gets back on track or I'm shutting it down!!!!!!!

Absolutely ridiculous
Old 03-03-2009, 08:03 PM   #33
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
I also stated what my faith says. But there again you flamed me for my beliefs.
This is exactly what I mean. I won't say I am gay, you don't tell me about faith or what I should or should not do and problem solved.

No I am not mad or upset at you at all Dawg. I am simply stating my opinion in response to yours.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #34
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Back on topic per Ez:

Don't ask don't tell needs lifted. It was a fun policy for a president who could not make a decision.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM   #35
dmead

I'm still baffled as to how a government that backs anti-discrimination laws in the private sector can discriminate within it's own departments.

I don't understand it. Are teh discrimination laws set at the state level?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (3G= Chuck Norris Speed)

This thread has gotten way out of hand and off topic

It was simple gays in military yes or no

Lift ban on don't ask don't tell

Instead a respected member has felt compelled to share a very personal bit of info out of anger and to make a point!
Today I am disappointed in BBF!

This thread gets back on track or I'm shutting it down!!!!!!!

Absolutely ridiculous
So once again I am in the wrong here? This is the sensitive section correct? Every topic in the off topic section gets off topic, and no one threatens to close it. Why is this one different? Is it because one member (mod) gets offended? What ever.

I am sorry you got offended EZ. It looks like I am the minority here so I will leave this topic to the people who can have an opinion.

Thanks Troy for not being mad at me. I understand you were voicing your opinion same as I was.

And for the record I don't think they should be banned from the military either.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:19 AM   #37
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

not sure where the threat of a closure comes from, this thread is about discrimination. And there was no threats or direct mention of anyone personally. It may be uncomfortable to see the debate but it never got out of hand like in some other threads.

dawg, I think people jumped on you because of a few statements. But all ends well, everyone has their opinion.

seems most feel the ban is unnecessary. In my opinion thats the case will all policies based on sexual orientation.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #38
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

It should be in the same catigory as race, meaning it shouldn't matter. So no for me.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #39
audit
Whoever

Model: xxxx
Carrier: AT&T

If they can shoot, defuse IED's, decrypt code, etc. keep their ass in the military.

Win or Lose... Everyone Has Their Fight
Old 03-04-2009, 07:27 PM   #40
DacyJ

Model: 9000
PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit
If they can shoot, defuse IED's, decrypt code, etc. keep their ass in the military.
Very well said!