Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
AJCURVE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: *****
Carrier: Tmobile
Default Wifi grayed out

Please Login to Remove!

I am sure you guys heard of wifi issues for At&t branded bolds with out the BB plan, Unfortunately I was one of the users with this issue. Last night I managed finally after trying every single solution to get my device to connect over wifi I have no clue how i did it but its definitely not a router issue. anyways my WIFI logo in the main screen is still grayed out even if i am connected, and when i go to Manage Connections there is a (WHITE DASH) by the wifi line as opposed to a green tick. what could be the reason???? again my browser is connecting fine so far over WIFI.

thanks in advance
Old 03-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (9530; .135 MF231)

How are you sure it is connecting over WiFi?
Old 03-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

There are two stages to WiFi connection.

Connecting to a hot spot which will allow you to connect to the network supported by the hot spot (local, intra or Internet). This will show on the home screen as "Wireless Carrier - hotspot name" eg: "ROGERS - linksys" with the WiFi logo greyed out; and on the WifI options -> Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics page with appropriate data in the Current Profile, SSID, Local IP Address yda yad. In this state your Hotspot Browser should work to access what the hotspot will allow you access to.

The next stage is when the unit establishes Blackberry data communications with the Rim Operations Centre (ROC) via WiFi. This requires a Blackberry data plan, and the hotspot must allow you an outbound connection to the ROC. When this happens the WiFi logo will brighten, you will get the green check, the Wi-Fi Diagnostics screen will have data and green checks in the BlackBerry Infrastructure section. In this state any communications that would normally go to ROC via the wireless carrier, goes via the hotspot and the Internet.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
AJCURVE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbuckley View Post

Connecting to a hot spot which will allow you to connect to the network supported by the hot spot (local, intra or Internet). This will show on the home screen as "Wireless Carrier - hotspot name" eg: "ROGERS - linksys" with the WiFi logo greyed out; and on the WifI options -> Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics page with appropriate data in the Current Profile, SSID, Local IP Address yda yad. In this state your Hotspot Browser should work to access what the hotspot will allow you access to.

The next stage is when the unit establishes Blackberry data communications with the Rim Operations Centre (ROC) via WiFi. This requires a Blackberry data plan, and the hotspot must allow you an outbound connection to the ROC. When this happens the WiFi logo will brighten, you will get the green check, the Wi-Fi Diagnostics screen will have data and green checks in the BlackBerry Infrastructure section. In this state any communications that would normally go to ROC via the wireless carrier, goes via the hotspot and the Internet.

Yes mine is connected to wifi and i don't have BB plan, according to this, now i know why i am getting the grayed logo. so you are saying when i add the BB service to my current plan then the wifi logo will brighten.

thanks for your help
Old 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
hrbuckley

Should do yes. If find it works very seamlessly connecting to the hot spots I have configured around town.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:49 PM   #6
DacyJ

PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

Wirelessly posted (supercalifragilisticexpialidoc)

Have you tried pulling the battery? I notice every great once in a awhile mine will grey out and if I do a battery pull it is fine.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
AJCURVE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ya i have tried that but still its gray, who cares as long as the browser is working
Old 04-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Gee_Kay

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCURVE View Post
I am sure you guys heard of wifi issues for At&t branded bolds with out the BB plan, Unfortunately I was one of the users with this issue. Last night I managed finally after trying every single solution to get my device to connect over wifi I have no clue how i did it but its definitely not a router issue. anyways my WIFI logo in the main screen is still grayed out even if i am connected, and when i go to Manage Connections there is a (WHITE DASH) by the wifi line as opposed to a green tick. what could be the reason???? again my browser is connecting fine so far over WIFI.

thanks in advance

I got the same problem and i get the white dash 2 opposed to a green tick and i was surfin the net but i went to check my bill and i had GPRS charges so till we find a way to get the green tick next to the wi-fi i suggest u don't use the web coz u'll get GPRS charges. Me im connected to the BIS but don't have any data plan coz i just wanted to work the internet when i was home on wi-fi but im havin the same problems. If any1 know's how to help please help Im connected to the BIS no data plan though but when im home n im on wi-fi it says dat im connected...in manage connection next to the wi-fi i get my wi-fi's name in green letters but i get a white dash next to opposed to a green tick n when i check my bill i had GPRS charges. How can i fix it n get the green tick which i guess then i can use the internet on wi-fi n not get GPRS charges. Pease help thank u
Old 04-09-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
Gee_Kay

Quote:

I did the first stage...everythin u said but when i went to the wi-fi tools n entered wi-fi diagnostics the appropriate data was there except my ip and still i didn't get the green tick next to my wi-fi's name...i get a white dash. how can i get the green tick next to my wi-fi's name? please help
Old 04-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #10
grynr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCURVE View Post

thanks in advance
The grayed out Wi-Fi icon means that you are not connected - no IP address resolved.
This is a known issue/Bug with BBY.
If you do not have reception (or no BBY Plan) Wi-Fi is disabled. Period!
The Iphone will work in a Wi-Fi reception zone when there is no reception.
(I studied it during a Ski vacation, where no AT&T signal was available, and the BBY was useless while the Iphone got all the mail via Wi-Fi).
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
hrbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee_Kay View Post
I did the first stage...everythin u said but when i went to the wi-fi tools n entered wi-fi diagnostics the appropriate data was there except my ip and still i didn't get the green tick next to my wi-fi's name...i get a white dash. how can i get the green tick next to my wi-fi's name? please help
If I understand you correctly you don't have a Blackberry data plan. In this case you will never get a green tick and bright logo. The green tick, and bright logo are indications that you are able to access your Blackberry data plan over WiFi instead of GPRS/EDGE/3G.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:09 AM   #12
sformat

Quote:
I got the same problem and i get the white dash 2 opposed to a green tick and i was surfin the net but i went to check my bill and i had GPRS charges so till we find a way to get the green tick next to the wi-fi i suggest u don't use the web coz u'll get GPRS charges. Me im connected to the BIS but don't have any data plan coz i just wanted to work the internet when i was home on wi-fi but im havin the same problems. If any1 know's how to help please help Im connected to the BIS no data plan though but when im home n im on wi-fi it says dat im connected...in manage connection next to the wi-fi i get my wi-fi's name in green letters but i get a white dash next to opposed to a green tick n when i check my bill i had GPRS charges. How can i fix it n get the green tick which i guess then i can use the internet on wi-fi n not get GPRS charges. Pease help thank u
same thing happened to me. i called AT&T and they said that i HAVE to have the data plan in order to not get those charges. they also said that i would have to turn off my ppu data charges in order to avoid those fees. the only reason i bought the bold is because of the wifi, but i have found out that i must jump through hoops to use it.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
Gee_Kay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformat View Post
same thing happened to me. i called AT&T and they said that i HAVE to have the data plan in order to not get those charges. they also said that i would have to turn off my ppu data charges in order to avoid those fees. the only reason i bought the bold is because of the wifi, but i have found out that i must jump through hoops to use it.
So in order to use the wi-fi for free we have to pay for the data plan in order to use it??? Did i understand correctly? That is so lame...the purpose of wi-fi is to use it when there's a wi-fi connection to use the internet FOR FREE! Not pay for data plan in order to be able to use the wi-fi for free! Very dissapointed i'll try to return it n get an other phone!
Many thanks by the way for answering n helping me out!!
Old 04-10-2009, 04:57 AM   #14
Gee_Kay

Quote:
If I understand you correctly you don't have a Blackberry data plan. In this case you will never get a green tick and bright logo. The green tick, and bright logo are indications that you are able to access your Blackberry data plan over WiFi instead of GPRS/EDGE/3G.
No i don't. So i need to get a data plan in order to be able to use the wi-fi for free?? Then i'll get the green tick next to my wi-fi?? Thank u very much for replyin!

P.S. This is for sformat(hehe sorry i forgot to ask you when i was replying you). What's that ppu data? thank u guys!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:13 AM   #15
hrbuckley

No, you can use WiFi for free, but will have to select the "Hot Spot Browser" when connected to a hot spot, and then switch back to the "Internet Browser" if you want to use your data when not. But without a Blackberry data plan you will never get the bright logo and green check which are there to tell you that you are accessing your Blackberry data plan via WiFi (with most carriers, without eating into your data limit).
Old 04-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #16
Gee_Kay

Quote:
No, you can use WiFi for free, but will have to select the "Hot Spot Browser" when connected to a hot spot, and then switch back to the "Internet Browser" if you want to use your data when not. But without a Blackberry data plan you will never get the bright logo and green check which are there to tell you that you are accessing your Blackberry data plan via WiFi (with most carriers, without eating into your data limit).
Ok i don't wanna get a data plan but im connected to the BIS...tell me more about this hot spot how do i use it? Tell me all the settings required to use the wi-fi with dat. I went to options...advanced options...browser...n then i changed it to hot spot and i connected to my wi-fi and still i can't surf the net...it says i have to turn on my data services on but if i do i will the get GPRS charges i got in the first place. Whats else i have to do? Please help. Thank u very much!
Old 04-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #17
hrbuckley

I've never had a Blackberry with out a Blackberry data plan so I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can be connected to the BIS if you don't have a Blackberry data plan. I do know from first had experience that you can't connect to a BES without a BES data plan.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #18
Gee_Kay

Quote:
I've never had a Blackberry with out a Blackberry data plan so I don't know for sure, but I don't think you can be connected to the BIS if you don't have a Blackberry data plan. I do know from first had experience that you can't connect to a BES without a BES data plan.
Ok thank u very much for your help!
Old 04-14-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
sformat

Quote:
So in order to use the wi-fi for free we have to pay for the data plan in order to use it??? Did i understand correctly? That is so lame...the purpose of wi-fi is to use it when there's a wi-fi connection to use the internet FOR FREE! Not pay for data plan in order to be able to use the wi-fi for free! Very dissapointed i'll try to return it n get an other phone!
Many thanks by the way for answering n helping me out!!
its basically (per at&t) what is used if no data plan is used on your line, and you do decide to explore the web, you will be charged per kb that you use. I have this because, from my understanding, i have to have some kind of data "something" active on my account in order to receive any mms messages.
Closed Thread