BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
dcavalli

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default My Toshiba laptop (Windows 7) will charge my Blackberry Pearl But Won't Recognize It

Please Login to Remove!

In 2007, I bought a Blackberry Pearl 8100.

I now have a Toshiba laptop M500 with Windows 7.

Now my computer will charge my Blackberry (through the USB port) but it won't detect or recognize it.

I downloaded the latest software from Blackberry (and even tried installing it from the original CD), but it still won't work.

Both of my laptop's USB ports work, which picked up other devices on them.

If it's the cable, why am I able to charge it?

What am I doing wrong? (If this has been addressed already, please excuse this post since I am new here. I did search for solutions online, but I couldn't find one.)

I would like to install the latest software for it and see how it works before I upgrade to a newer model (which I may do anyway).

In the words of the Talking Heads, "How do I work this?"
Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavalli View Post

Now my computer will charge my Blackberry (through the USB port) but it won't detect or recognize it.

I downloaded the latest software from Blackberry (and even tried installing it from the original CD), but it still won't work.

What am I doing wrong? (If this has been addressed already, please excuse this post since I am new here. I did search for solutions online, but I couldn't find one.)

I would like to install the latest software for it and see how it works before I upgrade to a newer model (which I may do anyway).

Sounds like a defective install of DM with Windows 7.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

When you installed desktop manager, did you right click the installer and tell it to install as administrator? If not try that
Old 07-20-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
johnling
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: Cushion

Goto Blackberry in the Start Menu. Open Blackberry Device Manager. Open the Device Connection tab then plug in you Pearl. See if USB-Blackberry 8100 [your pin] comes up. If it does and it looks like the laptop has not connected it the click Configure and see if a change will get it to show connected. If it still does not show try it this way. Uninstall BB desktop. Boot the computer. Make sure you are an admin. mot a guest account. Have your desktop CD in the drive but do not install DM yet. Plug in your BB and let it try to find the driver. Point it to the CD manually if it does not find it automaticly. Make sure you "allow" anything you are prompted about. You need to get the driver installed and then you can install DM. User Access Control is not allowing the driver to install when install DM by itself as it will not allow the BB install program full control of our computer. UAC keeps your system safer but can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes. You may have to turn off UAC until you get it installed.

9700, 8520 & Pearl -T-Mobile
Old 07-20-2010, 09:50 PM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Are you using the blackberry cable? The advice about being the admin login is valid.
Also your stating the PC wont recognize the BB. Does the DM work? if not that needs to be the first thing you fix.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
dcavalli

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A

Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

When I click on the DM (with the Blackberry connected), it displays the message box, "Before you begin, verify that your current Blackberry device is connected to your computer." It doesn't let me click on anything else.

I do use the original BB cable. As I said, this cable is able to charge my BB through my computer. Could it be partially defective?

Or is something not set up right with Windows 7?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #7
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Thanks for your replies and suggestions.

When I click on the DM (with the Blackberry connected), it displays the message box, "Before you begin, verify that your current Blackberry device is connected to your computer." It doesn't let me click on anything else.

I do use the original BB cable. As I said, this cable is able to charge my BB through my computer. Could it be partially defective?

Or is something not set up right with Windows 7?
Tried my earlier suggestion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRinger View Post
When you installed desktop manager, did you right click the installer and tell it to install as administrator? If not try that
Closed Thread