Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #1
beakersgoods
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Default SMS - BB Messenger - GMAIL

Please Login to Remove!

Alright,

I have been reading about the capabilities of SMS/Messenger/PIN logging when connected to the BES.

I am thinking of connecting my 8800 to the corporate BES for push email/wireless sync of calendar etc. However, I am very concerned about the company's ability to monitor my bb messenger and SMS txts.

Is there anyway (user side) that I can prevent this from happening?

Also, I have gmail pushed to my BB through BIS. Would the BES administrator also see these emails received / sent from my blackberry?

Cheers
Old 04-01-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

A user cannot prevent SMS messages from being logged if the device is attached to a BES.

In regards to gmail.... not through the BES. But there may be some third-party apps out there.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
beakersgoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschieman
A user cannot prevent SMS messages from being logged if the device is attached to a BES.

In regards to gmail.... not through the BES. But there may be some third-party apps out there.
For GMail, are you talking about the Gmail mobile application, or if it is setup for immediate push through BIS (or both)?

If I can make it clearer, can the BES server log incoming push email setup through your providers BIS account?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM   #4
aschieman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I was speaking of the Gmail mobile app (java)... although if it uses MDS for HTTP access, the logging level can be pumped up to see the requests going back and forth. I have seen this in my company's BES logs.

AFAIK, the BIS transport is not logged as the service does not reside on the BES. But this service can be disabled so that you can receive email through BIS, but you will not be able to reply.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:00 AM   #5
beakersgoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschieman
I was speaking of the Gmail mobile app (java)... although if it uses MDS for HTTP access, the logging level can be pumped up to see the requests going back and forth. I have seen this in my company's BES logs.

AFAIK, the BIS transport is not logged as the service does not reside on the BES. But this service can be disabled so that you can receive email through BIS, but you will not be able to reply.
Ok - so it seems whether we use the java client or BIS, the actual content of the messages cannot be logged. I guess that is some level of privacy.

Was sad to hear that SMS context is actually logged :(
Old 04-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakersgoods
Ok - so it seems whether we use the java client or BIS, the actual content of the messages cannot be logged. I guess that is some level of privacy.

Was sad to hear that SMS context is actually logged :(
Please keep in mind, that hooking your personal device (with BIS) up to your corporate BES environment could have pretty nasty side effects for you.

Your device is likely to receive an IT policy which is not easy to remove. Your BES could easily disable BIS altogether.
Your device will basically be in control of someone else, and you'll be following their set of rules and policies.

Just make sure you know what you're getting into, and don't be surprised if certain features of your Blackberry simply stop working due to an IT policy that was pushed to your device.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

The BES admin can also prevent you from loading any kind of software.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

We're like blackberry gods. some people hate us, some people love us and some people refuse to believe in us ;)

Contact your IS department and ask them if they enforce policy and what that policy restricts. You can also ask them what data they log. Then you will be able to make an informed decision about whether or not it is that important for you to have calendar and contacts on your personal BB.
BES 4.1
Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
edonin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

[QUOTE=ladydi]We're like blackberry gods. some people hate us, some people love us and some people refuse to believe in us ;)

That is great! You need to go into the engraved tee shirt business!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #10
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

So can anyone clarify as to whether or not BES allows logging of messages on the handeld that were received through BIS directly from the carrier?
Old 04-04-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandov99
So can anyone clarify as to whether or not BES allows logging of messages on the handeld that were received through BIS directly from the carrier?
BIS traffic is not logged by default, but can easily be disabled by the BES admin.
As a rule of thumb... if your BB is attached to a corporate BES, assume that nothing is private.
There may be third-party addins to the BES server to allow logging of BIS traffic. You never know. If there's something on your BB that you don't want your BES admin to see... then don't have your BB connected to their BES server. Simple as that.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
beakersgoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
BIS traffic is not logged by default, but can easily be disabled by the BES admin.
As a rule of thumb... if your BB is attached to a corporate BES, assume that nothing is private.
There may be third-party addins to the BES server to allow logging of BIS traffic. You never know. If there's something on your BB that you don't want your BES admin to see... then don't have your BB connected to their BES server. Simple as that.
Ok last question - sorry if I sound ignorant here. BIS data in not logged (incoming). How about if the BES Admin has not disabled BIS traffic. So I receive fine (and it is not logged). When I reply, is it stored or logged on the BES server?

Cheers
Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Seriously... I don't know how much clearer I can make this.
IF YOUR BLACKBERRY IS ON A BES... ANYTHING CAN BE LOGGED.
It's no longer your device. Someone else owns it, and someone else controls it.
Don't assume that anything is private.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 AM   #14
beakersgoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107
Seriously... I don't know how much clearer I can make this.
IF YOUR BLACKBERRY IS ON A BES... ANYTHING CAN BE LOGGED.
It's no longer your device. Someone else owns it, and someone else controls it.
Don't assume that anything is private.
You can be much clearer - You say "BIS traffic is not logged by default, but can easily be disabled by the BES admin." --> nowhere do you say the content of BIS messages are logged. However, then you go on to say EVERYTHING is logged?

I don't care if things are "logged" (http traffic, etc.). I care if the CONTENT of my BIS messages can be VIEWED and LOGGED.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #15
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by beakersgoods
However, then you go on to say EVERYTHING is logged?
No, that's not what I said at all.
I said it CAN be logged.
There is no facility in the RIM's BES to log BIS traffic, or log the content of your BIS messages. Like I mentioned earlier, there may be third-party software that a BES admin can use to examine BIS traffic and examine the content of your BIS messages.

Is your BES admin using such software? I don't know.
Does that software even exist? I don't know.
Can it exist? YES, definitely.

Your privacy seems important to you, so perhaps you shouldn't use BIS on your BES enabled Blackberry. I don't know if your messages are being logged. I'm telling you that it is possible that they are, so if you don't want to risk it, then don't type anything on your Blackberry that you wouldn't want your BES admin to read.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 AM   #16
beakersgoods

10-4

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #17
Beef

Model: 9900
Carrier: Bell (HSPA+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
There is no facility in the RIM's BES to log BIS traffic, or log the content of your BIS messages. Like I mentioned earlier, there may be third-party software that a BES admin can use to examine BIS traffic and examine the content of your BIS messages.
I have the same arrangement as the OP, and my assumption is that the company BES administrator will log everything possible.

I understand from reading this thread that a vanilla implementation of BES 4.1cannot access email in/outbound on a gmail BIS 2.0 account, but I have always wondered about the attachments. If I open a ppt or doc file from the BIS account, is that processed via the BIS or via the BES?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:20 PM   #18
ladydi
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef View Post
I have the same arrangement as the OP, and my assumption is that the company BES administrator will log everything possible.

I understand from reading this thread that a vanilla implementation of BES 4.1cannot access email in/outbound on a gmail BIS 2.0 account, but I have always wondered about the attachments. If I open a ppt or doc file from the BIS account, is that processed via the BIS or via the BES?
BIS. BES only processes mail from the mail server. It can LOG anything present on or passing through the device though.
BES 4.1
Closed Thread