Old 09-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #181
grooveuniverse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMob
Default Re-Post

Please Login to Remove!

Hello Everyone. This is my first posting, so be gentle.

I dont even own a BB, but after extensive research, I have concluded that I will be going with a Curve. I have been follwing for quite some time since there was rumors of the new Curve coming to T-Mobile.

My questions are..for those who are nice enough to respond..

1. Other than Wifi and UMA, there really isnt much difference between this and the previous Curve correct? Has the 3.2 with zoom lens been verififed?

2. Even though it comes in Wifi, it doesent necessarily mean that you can use Wifi access points wherever you are, unless you are a subscriber or pay for that particular WAP. We all know Wifi is great, but Wifi could be worse than the actually standard wireless capabilities of the BB network/data plan depending on signal strength.

3. Will the new Curve be complaint to the soon to arrive 802.11n standard? I know that I have already seen equipment makers produce compatible products based on the arriving 802.11n standard already.

4. Anybody know what the initial price offering will be with a new T-Mobile contract? Verizon was selling their new World Edition phone for 199.00 with a two year contract when it first came out...

5. Finally, if I get the BIS data package, can I access corporate email using just the BB Enterprise server in my organizations Data Center? I know that I can use the bb email and have corporate emails forwarded there, but as a first time BB user, I dont see why when getting a standard Data Package, that Corporate emails will not get pushed. Oh yea, with BIS data package, waht 10 email address options do I have (yahoo, gmail, my own company?).

Sorry for these long inquiries, but any assitance would be appreciated.

Tony
Old 09-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #182
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

1. The camera is supposed to be the same.
2. You still have EDGE, so there is no disadvantage to having WiFi support. I'll probably never use WiFi on it outside of my home or work myself. But it's worth doing so in those locations because it is much faster.
3. No idea but I assume any n stuff will be backwards compatible with g and b. It would pretty much have to be if they want anybody to buy it.
4. Don't know, but I've seen $449 mentioned as a MSRP. I'm expecting it to be around $250 with a 2-yr contract.
5. Don't think so. If you want to use BES I'm pretty sure you have to pay the extra $10 a month (T-Mobile). If you could get your work email through SMTP, you could get that through BIS.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:06 PM   #183
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooveuniverse View Post
1. Other than Wifi and UMA, there really isnt much difference between this and the previous Curve correct? Has the 3.2 with zoom lens been verififed?
No, the camera on the new model will be the same 2.0 megapixel version from the previous model.

Quote:
2. Even though it comes in Wifi, it doesent necessarily mean that you can use Wifi access points wherever you are, unless you are a subscriber or pay for that particular WAP. We all know Wifi is great, but Wifi could be worse than the actually standard wireless capabilities of the BB network/data plan depending on signal strength.
Wifi will always be faster than EDGE, but be aware that WiFi capabilities are shut off entirely unless you pay for the Hotspot@Home package from T-Mobile, otherwise it's completely useless to you. You will always be on EDGE. This is not a big deal on a Blackberry though. The only thing that ever really uses any serious amount of bandwidth is either: 1) Tethered to a laptop computer (in which case you probably already have a WiFi NIC and could use the internal one OR no WiFi is available and you would need to use EDGE anyway) 2) Doing an OTA (Over-The-Air) software install. Getting bent out of shape over 1 or 2 minutes to download a Java JAR is just silly, so you won't lose out there either.

Quote:
3. Will the new Curve be complaint to the soon to arrive 802.11n standard? I know that I have already seen equipment makers produce compatible products based on the arriving 802.11n standard already.
I believe 802.11n is backward compatible with b/g devices, so the WiFi berry should connect without any problems. Again, the amount of data you will need to transfer over any wireless connection will be so low that you're unlikely to notice any difference the 802.11n speed would give. In fact, I'm sure the bandwidth of a standard 802.11b access point would provide (11Mbps) would completely and totally overwelm the Intel XScale CPU, so even if it had the ultra fast 802.11n radio, the performance would be completely wasted.

Quote:
4. Anybody know what the initial price offering will be with a new T-Mobile contract? Verizon was selling their new World Edition phone for 199.00 with a two year contract when it first came out...
Not a clue. This fact-oid seems to have eluded everyone so far. Keep watching the forums, I'm sure someone will finally get some sales material from T-Mobile that shows the price soon enough.

Quote:
5. Finally, if I get the BIS data package, can I access corporate email using just the BB Enterprise server in my organizations Data Center? I know that I can use the bb email and have corporate emails forwarded there, but as a first time BB user, I dont see why when getting a standard Data Package, that Corporate emails will not get pushed. Oh yea, with BIS data package, waht 10 email address options do I have (yahoo, gmail, my own company?).
BIS access allows access to the big guys (ie: Yahoo, Gmail, etc.) as well as ANY mailbox that is internet accessible by a POP3 or IMAP mail server.

BES access allows access to regular mailboxes just like BIS, but also gives access to your company's corporate BES server. The main reason BES costs more is that they are fully expecting you to transfer quite a bit more data across the wireless network due to the fact you are able to syncronize mail folders, contacts, calendar data, etc. all over the wireless connection. Regular BIS users need to use their USB cables to sync anything other than their mailboxes.

By the way, if your corporate office uses Exchange server with Outlook Web Access, you can still use the BIS data plan and they will poll and push your corporate mail that way, but the mail is not BES pushed. That means that arriving mail could be between 1 and 15 minutes delayed because they have to poll the server for new messages. BES push means that the e-mail is on your Blackberry the very second it arrives on your mail server at the corpoate office 24 hours a day. If this is not important to you, then save the $10 and go with BIS.

Welcome to Berry land, you're in for a treat.

--Kidd
Old 09-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #184
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wifi will always be faster than EDGE, but be aware that WiFi capabilities are shut off entirely unless you pay for the Hotspot@Home package from T-Mobile, otherwise it's completely useless to you.
This is the first time I've seen anybody say this. You will need to have an active data plan, sure. But I've never seen any indication that you need H@H to make any use of WiFi for data transmission. It is my understanding that you should be able to do anything other than make calls over WiFi without H@H.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #185
grooveuniverse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: TMob

I see. I really appreciate the responses.

In a nutshell, unless I have Tmobile@home wifi is absolutely useless because it will not be enabled?

Also, the point I was making earlier was that just because you have wifi, doesnet mean you have access to wifi networks/wap.where you would use them.

Interesting..
Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 PM   #186
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 83/81
PIN: TO
Carrier: AT&T 8310, 8100, 7100

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
but be aware that WiFi capabilities are shut off entirely unless you pay for the Hotspot@Home package from T-Mobile,
WiFi is not shut off without H@H. H@H is for VoIP - internet calling - using WiFi, but is not at all related to enabling the device's WiFi capabilities. [insert Verizon jab here]
Old 09-12-2007, 05:24 PM   #187
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Two different Wi-Fi's here.
VoIP (voice over internet protocol) and wireless networking (as in many coffee shops, airports and libraries).
Question: Do I need the VoIP (Hotspot@Home package) to be able to use the 8320 in my favorite coffee shop via Wi-Fi wireless?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #188
dirtypirate

Model: 8310
PIN: 0.7 Red Ink
Carrier: Slave by Contract to AT&T

Im anxious to get my hands on one of these! Anyone found a way to clear the default ringers and images from it yet?
Old 09-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #189
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

No you don't.

You may need to pay the coffee shop, however, to use the wireless.

We're spinning off topic here. Let's keep it tight.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #190
theBorg
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypirate View Post
Anyone found a way to clear the default ringers and images from it yet?
That's easier than sin, dirty.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:36 PM   #191
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've to agree with the 2 above posters. The $9.99 H@H plan is for VoIP only. As for wifi data transfer, browsing, etc is a whole new ball game. Tmo might release a new blackberry plan that included wifi data plan to go with the curve or we'll just have to shell out and get total internet plan to be able to use wifi like dash and wing users.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:10 PM   #192
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30PSI View Post
I've to agree with the 2 above posters. The $9.99 H@H plan is for VoIP only. As for wifi data transfer, browsing, etc is a whole new ball game. Tmo might release a new blackberry plan that included wifi data plan to go with the curve or we'll just have to shell out and get total internet plan to be able to use wifi like dash and wing users.
From T-Mobile's website:

How is data charged with T-Mobile HotSpot @Home?

All charges for data services such as text messages, picture messages, Web browsing, downloads, and ringtones are the same while using Wi-Fi as they are on the T-Mobile GSM network. In addition, all services available through GPRS are also available through Wi-Fi, including:

* Picture messaging
* t-zones and Web browsing
* Content downloads
* BlackBerry® services

Link: T-Mobile HotSpot @Home – General Information
Old 09-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #193
Helmdawg
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: ned down...

[QUOTE=theBorg;665074]No you don't.

You may need to pay the coffee shop, however, to use the wireless.

I live in a city which by January will be totally wifi. So basically, i will be able to use the BB anywhere?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:13 PM   #194
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmdawg View Post
I live in a city which by January will be totally wifi. So basically, i will be able to use the BB anywhere?
That's my understanding.
And although we veered off the topic at hand, as theBorg suggested, the 8320 is a Wi-Fi phone and as such it generates interest in this field. So staying off curse is OK in my book
Old 09-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #195
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
From T-Mobile's website:

How is data charged with T-Mobile HotSpot @Home?

All charges for data services such as text messages, picture messages, Web browsing, downloads, and ringtones are the same while using Wi-Fi as they are on the T-Mobile GSM network. In addition, all services available through GPRS are also available through Wi-Fi, including:

* Picture messaging
* t-zones and Web browsing
* Content downloads
* BlackBerry® services

Link: T-Mobile HotSpot @Home – General Information
Thanks for the info vinmontRD maybe I was wrong about the H@H service, I stopped by t-mo store last week and asked them about wifi data plan they said the H@H is for VoiP only and they pulled up this page Wireless Internet Access - T-Mobile HotSpots for me about wifi data plan.

Hmn maybe I should sign up for the $9.99 H@H promo if it really includes wifi data transfer at any tmo hotspot.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #196
AlexKidd

Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBorg View Post
WiFi is not shut off without H@H. H@H is for VoIP - internet calling - using WiFi, but is not at all related to enabling the device's WiFi capabilities. [insert Verizon jab here]
It is shut off because the WiFi service book isn't downloaded without it which keeps it turned off. I got the details from John Clark in a different thread. Perhaps he could chime in and confirm one way or the other?

--Kidd
Old 09-13-2007, 09:29 AM   #197
doppeljr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMobile

Wifi will work either way, as long as you have a data plan.

You will not be able to make or receive calls over wifi unless you have the HS@H.

Current text messages, IMs etc use SMS and are counted or billed as messages, depending on what your plan allows.

The 8320 will use new clients for these and will count it all as data, so a data plan is required, with or without wifi.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #198
30PSI
Thumbs Must Hurt

From the post vinmontRD mentioned I thought people can just get H@H hotspot w/o data plan and will still be able browse the net, downloading stuff, etc through wifi connection.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #199
andrewkfromaz

Carrier: TMobile

Where could I find a sleeve, cover, or other form of body that isn't gold and super ugly? Anyone got any suggestions? Do you think the faceplate from the 8310 would work? bb-8310-01 BlackBerry 8310 Curve OEM grey faceplate w/ lens- 3G, Samsung, BlackBerry, Sony, Tools, BenQ-Siemens, Accessories Store, Acer, Son

Last edited by andrewkfromaz; 09-13-2007 at 01:00 PM..
Old 09-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #200
Spike41615
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 241BD9F4
Carrier: tmo
Default You Dont Need H@h To Use Wifi!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppeljr View Post
Wifi will work either way, as long as you have a data plan.

You will not be able to make or receive calls over wifi unless you have the HS@H.

Current text messages, IMs etc use SMS and are counted or billed as messages, depending on what your plan allows.

The 8320 will use new clients for these and will count it all as data, so a data plan is required, with or without wifi.
You WILL be able to use the wifi for calling and for voip (calling over wifi) without paying for H@H. All you need for the web browsing is a data plan. If you DONT have a H@H plan then the minutes you use while on the phone COME OFF OF YOUR MONTHLY PLAN MINUTES. If you DO have a H@H plan then you have UNLIMITED minutes on ANY wifi network, any time of day. Now granted some places you have to pay to use the wifi, so there you will have to pay too. But if you walk into a building that advertises free wifi, you WILL be able to hop on and call WITH OR WITHOUT H@H and BROWSE the internet.
Closed Thread