BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 11:44 PM   #261
0utlier

Model: 8700c

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
I emailed RIM today about what to return and the gentleman with whom I (and I believe all of us) have been dealing with said that as long as they get the device and the battery back, they will have no complaints.

What's interesting about my replacement unit is that it seems to have even wider gaps where the light escapes and the battery door is much looser than the device I'm returning. However, if the gasket issue has been fixed, that's all I care about. This is already my third device and hopefully my last.
I got my replacement BB today too. I also took both into a dark room and saw the new one was letting more light through than my old one. Are they sure this is fixed with this batch? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but my logic says if more light can get out, then more dust can get in. Am I missing something here?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:45 PM   #262
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
I emailed RIM today about what to return and the gentleman with whom I (and I believe all of us) have been dealing with said that as long as they get the device and the battery back, they will have no complaints.

What's interesting about my replacement unit is that it seems to have even wider gaps where the light escapes and the battery door is much looser than the device I'm returning. However, if the gasket issue has been fixed, that's all I care about. This is already my third device and hopefully my last.
wow, i could tell a difference in the feel of my replacement almost immediately. No joke, the device just feels more firm and put together. The light coming from anywhere on the device. Only thing i can say is that the invisble shield that i put on my new device right when i got it was incredibly hard to put on and it was defective!!!! but thats another complaint and another thread...

THANKS AGAIN JOHN AND JEFF!
Old 01-16-2006, 11:52 PM   #263
barjohn
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T

It is the seal for the display that is the issue. As I have pointed out on numerous occasions the holes around the switches, thumbwheel, earphone jack, answer and hangup keys, keyboard and others all lead into the case. That is why the seal around the display is critical. On the 7290 the surface of the display is flush with the inside top of the case so no dust issues. On the 8700 there is a small gap between the top of the LCD and the inside of the case top. I believe it is here that the seal is needed since there is also space between the clear case top and the top of the LCD.

For more information see barJohn Reviews It
Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #264
AlbertoM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier
I got my replacement BB today too. I also took both into a dark room and saw the new one was letting more light through than my old one. Are they sure this is fixed with this batch? I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but my logic says if more light can get out, then more dust can get in. Am I missing something here?
Yes. It does not have anything to do with the seal around the screen.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #265
AlbertoM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBit
Well, no replacement BlackBerry's in the Seattle area today (at least for me). We did get our daily inch or so of rain, however.

I had a unit sent out last Friday for delivery today according to RIM, but FedEx must have had problems. :(
Friday, no delivery on weekends and then a Holiday. Yeppers.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:25 AM   #266
MegaBit

Model: 9530

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertoM
Friday, no delivery on weekends and then a Holiday. Yeppers.
Holiday for USPS, not FedEx. They were out and even stopped by the condo, but did not have anything from RIM addressed to me.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #267
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utlier
I would think the same. Only time will tell. It would be hard to believe that after all this hoopla that the new and improved 8700s still let dust get in!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #268
casmer

Carrier: ATT
Default no contact yet - patience?

I am assuming I should just be more patient here, but I think I got on BarJohn's first or second list and I have not even been contacted yet. Should I be more patient and wait it out or should I be more proactive and start emailing/calling people? Thoughts?
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #269
barjohn

PM me and I will provide you with contact information where you can check. It may be later today before I get to it.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-17-2006, 03:14 PM   #270
jeremy

Model: 8900
Thumbs up

I just received my replacement 8700c from RIM via FedEx. I ordered it last Monday.
Old 01-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #271
kjohn
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: AIS

First of all, thank you very much barjohn for all your help. I just got off the phone with the contact and they are out of replacements. There may be another batch, but it's not set in stone. He suggested I try going through Cingular.

kjohn
Old 01-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #272
chpong

Model: 8700c

I just received my replacement today, and while the unit does feel tighter, the keyboard is now quite loose - it was tight on my last one.
I'm not sure what's more annoying...
I'm thinking of sending the new one back and asking for another? This is absurd at this point.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:22 PM   #273
Seattle18

Model: Curve

Well this stinks - I just got a message from RIM and they also told me they are out of replacements. He said there may be a chance in the near future, but I was one of the very first to call in and report! Oh well, I guess I should try Cingular...
Old 01-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #274
MegaBit

Default That Was My Concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by chpong
I just received my replacement today, and while the unit does feel tighter, the keyboard is now quite loose - it was tight on my last one.
I'm not sure what's more annoying...
I'm thinking of sending the new one back and asking for another? This is absurd at this point.
I was hoping that would not be the case- trading one issue for another. I think the loose keyboards would drive me nuts, more so than the floppy battery door or even display dust.

Mine arrived today. From tracking data, it was just shipped yesterday. Haven't been home to inspect it yet.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:22 PM   #275
lgreenberg

Model: 8310
PIN: 2453F457 OR 242B5C50
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle18
Well this stinks - I just got a message from RIM and they also told me they are out of replacements. He said there may be a chance in the near future, but I was one of the very first to call in and report! Oh well, I guess I should try Cingular...
For what it's worth, my unit now has some dust so I contacted them today as was told the same thing. He did say they might get some more replacement units in so I'm going to wait a bit before I try with Cingular.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:39 PM   #276
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

Rim is a little to good. I replaced my unit at the Cingular store awhile back and the new one is not collecting dust. Well maybe 1 little micrograin in 3 weeks. Anyway I got a call from the contact at RIM and I called him back and told him I did not need a replacement. This was over 2 weeks ago and today one showed up. I took a look at the unit to see if it was sealed better and it looks the same as the one I have now. The keyboard is loose and there are small gaps where you can see the keyboard light comming out. I decided not to risk it and have to pay again to have another one unlocked so I sent it back to RIM. There were like 20 pages of paperwork from RIM canada. I hope I sent it back FEDEX correctly.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:58 PM   #277
MegaBit

Unhappy No Bluetooth Main Screen Icon?

Got the replacement... very loose keypad and sloppy-floppy battery door.

One thing puzzles me: There is no main screen Bluetooth icon- is that something new?

My original unit has an icon on the desktop for easy on/off which I use a lot and its there on all icon themes. Having to dig down into a sub-menu to find it sucks.

[edit] And the display is perfection!

Last edited by MegaBit; 01-17-2006 at 10:51 PM..
Old 01-17-2006, 10:04 PM   #278
barjohn

Once you pair a device and turn it on the icon will reappear.

Active PIN 203A5535
Old 01-17-2006, 10:11 PM   #279
MegaBit

Default Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barjohn
Once you pair a device and turn it on the icon will reappear.
John- you amaze me most of the time. Thanks, again! It's only been a month and I forgot.

(what did that other poster say... I must be a retarded monkey. Me too)
Old 01-18-2006, 12:02 AM   #280
alann
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800

Rim still haven't contacted me and I was in the first group. Is it because their out of units?
Closed Thread