Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:36 PM   #21
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

Your answer IS much better than my PM to him.....

I was going to have him follow this link

The Perfect Setup - Ubuntu 6.10 Server (Edgy Eft) | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

This link

ServerGuide - Ubuntu Document Storage Facility

AND try changing the server type from standalone to inetd

Last edited by LunkHead; 02-10-2007 at 01:41 PM..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:16 AM   #22
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks a ton guys! Absolutely great stuff. I will be working on this tomorrow and will let you know the outcome - or if I have any more questions! Lunkhead, I have been reading those two walkthroughs religiously for a couple of weeks, as I said I know I am just missing something. If I can't get this to work tomorrow I might show you my proftpd.conf file to see if you guys see anything wrong.

Again I appreciate both of your help.

Last edited by paulbblc; 02-11-2007 at 12:25 AM..
Old 02-11-2007, 12:23 AM   #23
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead
I was going to have him follow this link
... trim ...
AND try changing the server type from standalone to inetd
I try to stay away from referring people to so-called "guides" (I didn't read those links, speaking generically) if I can, and rather opt trying to explain the problem and how to solve it from a knowledge standpoint. The problem I have with a lot of guides is that they're so specific to one way of doing things, you never really learn the guts of a problem and evolve your own toolchest of linux.

But, I'll make a liar out of myself and direct everyone to the Advanced Bash Scripting Guide (or the Beginners, depending) every single time. If there's a guide that's worth it's weight in photons, it's the ABS.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:48 AM   #24
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Wow alphabet soup here for me. Can someone articulate the tie to BB and then we can point Guess to it.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:43 AM   #25
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309

I threw this topic way off course Stinsonddog, I have already sent Guess a pm regarding this.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #26
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
I threw this topic way off course Stinsonddog, I have already sent Guess a pm regarding this.
Thanks (all) -- this happened in another thread, we started talking about who knows what and are now talking about getting the Pearl modem + BlueTooth to work ion the same thread, for lack of any better place to go with linux noise.

Maybe Guess is on holiday and will be back tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #27
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
Oh it's all good! I think we have a bunch of Linux / Unix users here and the sub would be awesome just for BB related stuff and general Q's.... This IS the one stop website for everything BB related
Old 02-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Thanks (all) -- this happened in another thread, we started talking about who knows what and are now talking about getting the Pearl modem + BlueTooth to work ion the same thread, for lack of any better place to go with linux noise.

Maybe Guess is on holiday and will be back tomorrow.
@ rivviepop

While I have your ear, and a bit off topic.....

Have you found a solution to sync? I have tried just about everything available and it's still a basic no go.... Found a link a while back in the Ubuntu forum that worked, sorta, but it's very slow and very buggy.....

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by LunkHead; 02-11-2007 at 05:36 PM..
Old 02-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #29
rivviepop

Quote:
While I have your ear, and a bit off topic.....
Nothing is offtopic to me except Windows.

Quote:
Have you found a solution to sync? I have tried just about everything available and it's still a basic no go.... Found a link a while back in the Ubuntu forum that worked, sorta, but it's very slow and very buggy.....
I (have always) chose a different route that's compatible with all handsets, and does not lock me into one computer - SyncML. Lemme dig up a post about this here on the forums...

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post422050

...and a blog post or two, start with this one:

backup your phone contacts online « rivviepop phantom

I do not like proprietary sync solutions, they're not portable *at all*. I have been using SyncML + Mobical.net for a few years now and it works great. My contacts/calendar are always available (from work, home, etc) and I can use any phone I want.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #30
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Thanks! I tried SyncML a while back (beta) and it was very, very slow... I assume the speed has picked up?

Love the article on ur website! Great stuff! I got u bookmarked now!

Anything to sync without using external source????

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-11-2007, 07:30 PM   #31
rivviepop

Quote:
Thanks! I tried SyncML a while back (beta) and it was very, very slow... I assume the speed has picked up?
Uhm, it's only the initial sync that can take awhile, depending on how much data you have. Normally it syncs at what you'd consider an acceptable speed -- I don't really understand people who say it's slow, in years of using SyncML I've never had slowness. *shrug*

Quote:
Anything to sync without using external source????
I don't even bother looking, sorry. I have a chosen path that works astounding well for my style, and stick with it. I was in Hong Kong, grabbed a (new) handset and had my contacts on it in like 10 minutes -- match that with any stupid proprietary sync junk.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:32 PM   #32
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Kewl! It might be time to try it again!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Uhm, it's only the initial sync that can take awhile, depending on how much data you have. Normally it syncs at what you'd consider an acceptable speed -- I don't really understand people who say it's slow, in years of using SyncML I've never had slowness. *shrug*

I don't even bother looking, sorry. I have a chosen path that works astounding well for my style, and stick with it. I was in Hong Kong, grabbed a (new) handset and had my contacts on it in like 10 minutes -- match that with any stupid proprietary sync junk.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:24 PM   #33
jddphd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange FR

This is a great thread. I am considering buying a new machine and I'd love to experiment with Linux -- my main concern is obviously drivers and software to replicate my Windows setup. I'd be in favor of a subforum as well.

At the risk of being off-topic (and I won't do this in a PM because I suspect rivviepop would just say it in public)...

I know there are many different flavors of distributions, but for the life of me I'm not sure what the pros and cons are - and every guide I've read has been fairly involved. I know this can be the equivalent of a religious discussion too. Any tips?

- JD
Old 02-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #34
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddphd
I know there are many different flavors of distributions, but for the life of me I'm not sure what the pros and cons are - and every guide I've read has been fairly involved. I know this can be the equivalent of a religious discussion too. Any tips?
vi! wait, no, emacs! wait no no, joe! (for the record, vi rul3Z)

I'm afraid this is such a Coke vs. Pepsi debate, and you should wait for our forum to open a new thread about it; it boils down to what you like and how you think. Personally I've been using Red Hat variants since about ... '93? '94? and continue to be a Fedora Core and Red Hat Enterprise (and CentOS!) installer/admin/user/dude to this day. Does that mean it's "better"? Who knows, but I know them inside and out and I mange probably 30 servers single-handedly. So it's the "right" choice for myself and my company.

$0.02 USD (none of that soviet canukistan funny money, I mean come on - toonies and loonies? )
Old 02-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #35
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Like mentioned above, it's a bit like coke -v- pepsi...

FC5 and FC6 are awesome! They might be more geared toward mid / advanced user though... I use Suse 10.2 right now and it is probably geared toward the mid user....

My son who is 14 uses Ubuntu... Depends on what you know about Linux.... Linspire / Freespire is very easy to use and I just read they are using the Ubuntu distro... From what I recall, Linspire might just be the easiest Linux distro to use... Once your knowledge grows, you can move up to something a bit more challenging...

My .02 on the matter
Old 02-12-2007, 08:11 PM   #36
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Iv used several of the major distribs and the level of complexity is dependant on what your trying to impliment. The biggest decider for me is package availability, which is why i stick to debian based distribs. It seams to have the largest precompiled repositorys through apt-get.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:41 PM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Hey mods.... Any word yet on the Linux forum???

Thanks
Old 02-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #38
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
Iv used several of the major distribs and the level of complexity is dependant on what your trying to impliment. The biggest decider for me is package availability, which is why i stick to debian based distribs. It seams to have the largest precompiled repositorys through apt-get.
Without trying to start any sort of flame war, Debian (& Ubuntu and other derivates) have the "quantity over quality" problem. 50%+ of the packages are useless to most folks, back when I messed with Debian it was the typical needle-in-a-haystack problem. Search on... dunno, "mozilla" and you'd get 80 package variations and have to sit there and really think about which one you wanted. Blech.

This day and age almost any distro has an apt-get/yum set of repositories with enough apps to keep anyone happy. That age-old argument (which used to be true, of course) about "I use apt-get" etc. as the qualifying reason to use Debian/Ubuntu just doesn't hold water anymore. *shrug*
Old 02-13-2007, 03:52 AM   #39
HuwSy

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

True, but as i couldnt get Beryl and Java VM to work in opera within the 1st few hours of playing with Fedora core 6 iv ended up back on Ubuntu, admitidly getting Beryl to work was still a pain as iv an ati radeon. Just anoyed theres no root access by default, its all done by sudo. Once iv found more cvs or svn repositorys I'l try a redhat base again and just compile as needed for that "i made this" type feeling, lol.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #40
rivviepop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuwSy
True, but as i couldnt get Beryl and Java VM to work in opera within the 1st few hours of playing with Fedora core 6 iv ended up back on Ubuntu, admitidly getting Beryl to work was still a pain as iv an ati radeon. Just anoyed theres no root access by default, its all done by sudo. Once iv found more cvs or svn repositorys I'l try a redhat base again and just compile as needed for that "i made this" type feeling, lol.
I totally follow -- you tried, didn't find what you're looking for and moved on to the next thing. This is great example of why I love linux as a platform and the various distros, it's inherently malleable to the 8 billion different ways of thinking. "Don't like the way XXX did it? Great, go try YYYY! And don't forget ZZZZ, it rocks too!"

Alas, this much choice though can be confusing to a number of mindsets - which is why OS X exists. (Sorry Windows people, you're third class citizens to me ) I am fortunate to work at a company of around 50 where people have Macs, PCs and linux boxen at their own choice - so long as the work gets done. I get to see all sorts of mindsets and why one person would prefer A over B - artists vs. engineers, project managers vs..... everyone else (heh), and so on. Even down to handsets -- the die-hard Treos, the HTC/Windows Mobile, the RAZR crowd, the Symbians.

Alas, I think I'm the sole BB user here. But I will tell you my Pearl is an office hit, people *love* playing with it. I forsee a few migrations when their contracts come around to renewal time. The 8800 I think will make great inroads to the Treo crowd, I'll probably get one just to have in the office and help them.... drool.