Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #21
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: !
Carrier: !

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob
Just curious, want to use my Blackberry for personal use for other e mail programs and browsing. I know on computer they can trace and monitor activities. Can this be done on a blackberry? Advice appreciated, thanks
I want to clarify the web-browsing part here. I didn find any specific logs for web sites visited, BUT - once your BB is connected via BES, its like you browse the web from your office's LAN. So, if your company logs web sites on the LAN, I'm pretty sure it will log the sites visited, albeit in a separate locale.

At some point I will test this at work, or maybe someone who has more expericne than me can chime in?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Bottom line.... Assume they can see you drinking java while the BB is on dashboard of company car...
Old 03-04-2007, 09:37 PM   #23
razorbackfan
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703E
Carrier: alltel

This is why I work for myself, my boss doesn't care what I do on the company bb.
Old 03-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #24
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmatty
I want to clarify the web-browsing part here. I didn find any specific logs for web sites visited, BUT - once your BB is connected via BES, its like you browse the web from your office's LAN. So, if your company logs web sites on the LAN, I'm pretty sure it will log the sites visited, albeit in a separate locale.

At some point I will test this at work, or maybe someone who has more expericne than me can chime in?
This may only be true for the Internet Browser on the BB that's tied to the BES. I have three browsers on my BB - one labeled as "T-Zones" which takes me to T-Mobile's portal. One simply labeled "Internet Browser." And one labeled "XXXX Browser" where XXXX is my company's name.

If I use the "XXXX Browser" to navigate to IP Chicken - What is my IP? Find Your IP Address!, the website recognizes my connection as coming from my company. If I use the "Internet Browser," the website recognizes my connection as coming from blackberry.net. And if I use the "T-zones browser", the website sees me coming from tmodns.net.

So are you sure that even if you use the "Internet Browser" you are being routed through the company's BES?
Old 03-07-2007, 10:39 PM   #25
bigmatty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: !
Carrier: !

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandov99
This may only be true for the Internet Browser on the BB that's tied to the BES. I have three browsers on my BB - one labeled as "T-Zones" which takes me to T-Mobile's portal. One simply labeled "Internet Browser." And one labeled "XXXX Browser" where XXXX is my company's name.

If I use the "XXXX Browser" to navigate to IP Chicken - What is my IP? Find Your IP Address!, the website recognizes my connection as coming from my company. If I use the "Internet Browser," the website recognizes my connection as coming from blackberry.net. And if I use the "T-zones browser", the website sees me coming from tmodns.net.

So are you sure that even if you use the "Internet Browser" you are being routed through the company's BES?
thats a good way to test, via the IP display. i didnt like having 3 browsers, so i hid two and just use one. I'd say, if you want to maximize the privacy, use one where the IP dosent resolve back to your work. another thing to test would be to try to enter a url that will only resolve on your companys lan in that browser, and make sure it cant pull up the web page.
Closed Thread