BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Were you able to use the application successfully?
Yes 305 86.65%
No 47 13.35%
Voters: 352. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #401
loveandhate

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

OTA Install on Verizon 8703e
2 hrs of off & on use so far - flawless
I have a few minor suggestions on the usability side - to maybe simplify a few things but overall its an excellent program.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #402
MistahQ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders
I have my wife and son's cellphone number in my Buddy list, but I have renamed each one with a nickname, so the name shows, not the cell phone #
Ok so that works on jivetalk then? Ill try that cause as it is cell #'s show up as PleaseUpgrade001 etc etc.
thanks for that piece of info!
Old 02-03-2007, 02:09 PM   #403
multani787
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks for taking out all application sounds and letting the profile determine audio. I was wondering if it would also be possible for Jive Talk to alert me of new messages the same way the offical google talk client does? The official google talk client alerts as a message in the message folder.

Also, during a conversation, when i press the side scroll button, the menu that comes up is open, send, clear chat, end chat, buddy list, etc. Would it be possible to place buddy list above clear chat? I find that i switch between new and current ims more often than clearing the screen.

Thanks

8700c

Last edited by multani787; 02-03-2007 at 02:12 PM..
Old 02-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #404
kyububba
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by multani787
Thanks for taking out all application sounds and letting the profile determine audio. I was wondering if it would also be possible for Jive Talk to alert me of new messages the same way the offical google talk client does? The official google talk client alerts as a message in the message folder.

Also, during a conversation, when i press the side scroll button, the menu that comes up is open, send, clear chat, end chat, buddy list, etc. Would it be possible to place buddy list above clear chat? I find that i switch between new and current ims more often than clearing the screen.

Thanks

8700c
we're exploring the message box features.

in terms of switching. if you hit the ESC key, it takes you right back to the buddy list. also, for each active chat you have going, there is a corresponding chat icon on the top right of the chat window, scrolling up will highlight one of these icons, and you can scroll left/right to select and switch to it.
Old 02-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #405
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Kai, question re: servers -- with this release you've added the ability to use a custom Jabber server. This made me wonder -- does logging in and everything go through the BeeJive server, or does each account connect directly to the service, ala Trillian or GAIM?

I'm guessing it's the former, that the client speaks one protocol (jabber?) to BeeJive, then the BeeJive server takes care of the inter-service operation with all the different protocols? This would then mean I couldn't put in the real AOL server (e.g.) to connect to, since JiveTalk client doesn't speak TOC/Oscar protocol?

thanks! just curious.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #406
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Kai, question re: servers -- with this release you've added the ability to use a custom Jabber server. This made me wonder -- does logging in and everything go through the BeeJive server, or does each account connect directly to the service, ala Trillian or GAIM?

I'm guessing it's the former, that the client speaks one protocol (jabber?) to BeeJive, then the BeeJive server takes care of the inter-service operation with all the different protocols? This would then mean I couldn't put in the real AOL server (e.g.) to connect to, since JiveTalk client doesn't speak TOC/Oscar protocol?

thanks! just curious.
You're right about the architecture, the client does speak one-protocol to the beejive server, and the server handles all the connections and protocol marshalling with the various services. However, we don't use jabber/xmpp between the client and our server. Considered it, but chose not to because of the overhead associated with xmpp stanzas is not ideal for a mobile/low bandwidth environment. So the protocol used is proprietary to JiveTalk.

When a custom jabber server is configured, it's still our server that makes the connection, not the client.

I had put up a posting on another thread over at pinstack about why we decided to use a server instead of having the client connecting directly. The main 2 reasons are 1. the reliability of the connection, having our own protocol allows us to design it to be more reliable so you're always connected and 2. the size of the codebase, handling all the protocols directly would require too big of a codebase for most phones (not BBs per se). Also, you're only allow a limited number of connections per BB for all 3rd party apps (I believe), so there is also a physical limit there as well.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #407
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba
I had put up a posting on another thread over at pinstack about why we decided to use a server instead of having the client connecting directly.

Hope that answers your questions.
Yup! Thanks for taking the time to explain the innerworkings. Alas I've stopped visiting Pinstack, the mods came after me in PM because I linked to BBF here in a thread (completely harmless topic) about some issue. Since they prohibit the free flow of information ("linking to competitors") in their ToS, I choose not to patronize their establishment with my brain. Sad really, but it's their choice.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #408
sca787

Model: 7100i

Hello,

I just installed jivetalk for the first time (newest build) on my 7100i and when i try and login through aim it gives me the "400 BAD_REQUEST" error message. I've tried reinstalling the program, hard and soft reset, and different screen names with no change. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #409
kyububba

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

We've had a few people reporting the 400 error. For some of them that's on BES, setting the connection parameters under preferences to "deviceside=true" seemed to help.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #410
sca787

Model: 7100i

thanks for the reply.

i tried that, still no change. Are there any other options?
Old 02-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #411
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyububba
yes, that's the plan and certainly the logical next step. it's already in the queue.

glad you like the icon better, we'll probably be playing around with it some more in the coming builds.
Great, I like the new icon too.

Kai, quick question, in preferences, what is "Advanced Connection Parameters" What are those options, what's it used for?
PIN 23F257DB

Old 02-03-2007, 10:38 PM   #412
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by rel12561
Great, I like the new icon too.

Kai, quick question, in preferences, what is "Advanced Connection Parameters" What are those options, what's it used for?
What's put in here are specific connection parameters passed straight to the RIM networking APIs. For example, deviceside=true tells it to bypass the default BES connection and use direct TCP through the carrier APN. You can also specify specific APN names, username/passwords, wap gateway information, etc. But in 99% of the cases, you don't need to do anything here.

We could have made it more user friendly with specific choices, but during the beta we wanted to leave this open in case of network trouble to help us troubleshoot.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #413
Jaime

Model: 8310
Carrier: Claro Chile

kyububba, is the BIS connectivity already fixed?

Best,
Jaime
Old 02-04-2007, 12:00 AM   #414
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Just in case, this might be useful:
Development Guidelines for Chat Software Developers
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 02-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #415
kyububba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Mark, this is quite a list! You've obviously given this a lot of thought. Appreciate the heads up, We didn't see this posting before.

Personally I would agree with most of these usability items. Some of them, the popup alert on new message for example, I've found through experience in JiveTalk to be a bit much, so we took that off as a default, though it's still possible through a configuration.

Not sure if you're a beta users. Certainly would like you to become one if you're not one already.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:11 AM   #416
gschoelles
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 3188B3A0
Carrier: Verizon

Still freezes after first IM Account is saved forcing reboot of device. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:54 AM   #417
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wow, this says it all...
PIN 23F257DB

Old 02-04-2007, 12:06 PM   #418
rel12561
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Mark, I noticed you reference Verichat and WebMessenger a lot in your guidelines...any reasons why IM+ isn't included in the list?
PIN 23F257DB

Old 02-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #419
rfs830
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

This program is great. Is this going to be a free program or a pay program.
Dose not matter I like it so much that I would pay for it.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #420
BB4Life

Model: 9000

yes, this is an excellent program, and i would be willing to pay for it for a one time fee. I'm a loyal, and very satisfied Yak-On! user, and I really like this program also. It just needs a minor tweaks and changes, such as the alerts and notifications when you receive IM's. It rarely disconnects, and the interface is very nice. Hopefully this program will be going places!
Closed Thread