My money is on locked.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #42
I8UB4
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
I won't be the nay-sayer, but I only want to point out that if it is locked on the 8830, 8330 and 8130, how will VZW justify GPS being unlocked only on the Storm?

I am not so confident in VZW.
The only rationalization I can see why VZW will unlock the GPS on the Storm is that if they truly want to compete with the iPhone, then they need to allow access to the GPS for all 3rd party applications that want to incorporate location based services. This would seemingly include Google Maps, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc. along with all of the other apps running on iPhone that use GPS.

I'm following this thread closely, because I'm thinking of jumping on the Storm bandwagon, but an unlocked GPS functionality is very important to me.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:43 AM   #43
dionnfr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint

This discussion goes on with every new phone released by Verizon, it will be locked down, if you want it you'll have to purchase Navigator. We need to get over it. The only part that will work is when you dial 911 for an emergency, this way it allows the emergency crews to find you.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 AM   #44
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchucker View Post
I'd bet my last dollar that it'll be locked down by Verizon. That is the one thing about them that just irritates the you-know-what out of me about Verizon....

But, they're not getting my $$ for their stupid Navigator. Very rarely do I need GPS for directions but when I do...I have OnStar in the Caddy.
Talk about ripoffs...and you pay how much for onstar?...lol Seriously, I can't imagine anyone in the world ever paying for onstar unless maybe they didn't own a cell phone at all.
Old 10-31-2008, 01:58 AM   #45
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbp View Post
Talk about ripoffs...and you pay how much for onstar?...lol Seriously, I can't imagine anyone in the world ever paying for onstar unless maybe they didn't own a cell phone at all.
Sorry but, onstar does more than just give directions. Matter of fact on board pc's that are connected to the internet are going to be the standard option for most new vehicles in the near future. Whether it be onstar, bmw idrive or ms sync or the like. There is too much profit to be made from in car pcs that can give valuable information about the car and driver. (privacy issues here)..
Old 10-31-2008, 02:11 AM   #46
BigA

Model: iphon
PIN: Prick

Sorry but going off topic here.

Not a fantasy of mine but imagine going thorugh the local McDonalds with out talking to anyone. You simply place your order in your car after you have downloaded the McD's menu once you are in range of the store. You would either talk to your voice activated car pc or type in your order. When you get close to the McD's your order is being processed in a timely manor based off of your gps signal in your car. When you do arrive your order will be ready as soon as you pull up to the pickup window. Then you can pay with either cash (that is cash is even a form of payment or even avaliable), credit card or swipe your phone for payment.

LOL.. getting heart attacks will never be more efficient or easier!! Oh wait.. But my car will also inform McD's that I am not allowed any red meat. So my car will really save my life..
Old 10-31-2008, 06:59 AM   #47
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Of course the GPS will be locked down! This is SOP for Verizon. After all, they're the reason there's no WiFi on it. And, according to BGR, Verizon is also the reason there's no tri-band HSDPA.

The real reason the BlackBerry Storm doesnxxx8217;t have Wi-Fi or tri-band HSDPA : Boy Genius Report

Yet one more reason I use AT&T. I open Google Maps, tell GPS to start, and that's that. GPS, no extra fees.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:23 AM   #48
2 Samuel 22

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom
Default GPS is Unlocked...

I've used BB Maps and pulled down GPS coordinates so that tells me that it is currently unlocked. I've been told that it will remain unlocked but I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:24 PM   #49
chagan

Model: 8330

According to RIM's website:

GPS and BlackBerry Maps
"The BlackBerry Storm smartphone features built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) capabilities. Designed to work with BlackBerry® Maps and other location-based software, use it to help determine where you are and how to get to where you need to be..."

Being tha RIM used the term "GPS" leads me to believe that it will be unlocked. It also mentioned that Blackerry maps will be able to access the GPS cabability, which on my current 8330 it cannot. Another reason to be hopeful could be that they are referring to the Storm as a "world" phone- I believe that their world phones don't lock out the GPS being that VZNavigator doesn't work outside of the US (can someone with an 8830 verify this?)
Old 11-09-2008, 12:29 PM   #50
Jason Mark
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
Carrier: Rogers

GPS will be unlocked. Guaranteed. A-GPS though will cost.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:59 PM   #51
chagan

Verizon can keep their "A" and I'll keep my $10/mo
Old 11-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #52
hop2000

Model: Touch
Carrier: VZW

Yeah, the latest I have been hearing is that GPS will be unlocked. You will be able to use Blackberry Maps for simple GPS like text turn by turn directions. However, if you want voice commands and other advanced GPS funtions you will have to pay the $10 a month for VZ Navigator. If this ends up being correct, I am happy enough to just use the standard GPS functions and keep the $10 a month in my pocket.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #53
chagan

Hop2000, from what I understand aGPS just decreases the wait time required for the initial fix or helps get a fix if you don't have LOS with enough satellites as in a built up urban environment. I don't belive that my 5 year old 7520 had aGPS but I used several voice navigation programs successfully.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #54
correia
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagan View Post
According to RIM's website:

GPS and BlackBerry Maps
"The BlackBerry Storm smartphone features built-in Global Positioning System (GPS) capabilities. Designed to work with BlackBerry® Maps and other location-based software, use it to help determine where you are and how to get to where you need to be..."

Being tha RIM used the term "GPS" leads me to believe that it will be unlocked. It also mentioned that Blackerry maps will be able to access the GPS cabability, which on my current 8330 it cannot. Another reason to be hopeful could be that they are referring to the Storm as a "world" phone- I believe that their world phones don't lock out the GPS being that VZNavigator doesn't work outside of the US (can someone with an 8830 verify this?)
GPS is locked on my VZW 8830. I wouldn't hold my breath for the Storm GPS to be unlocked because VZW doesn't really care about their customers when it comes to making a buck (or in this case $10). If the Storm GPS is unlocked, then it would signify VZW actually listening to their customer base for a change, or they found a better way to make money. LOL!!!!!!

Last edited by correia; 11-10-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 11-10-2008, 07:54 PM   #55
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630

Wirelessly posted

I don't care if GPS is disabled by default. I only need gps in my car and my Garmin capabilities can't be matched by a bb. As for Verizon charging for the service, you get what you pay for. I pay for vzw's more expensive plans and services, then vzw takes more of the revenue and sinks it into r&d and consistently has the best network in the country.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #56
hop2000

Model: Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagan View Post
Hop2000, from what I understand aGPS just decreases the wait time required for the initial fix or helps get a fix if you don't have LOS with enough satellites as in a built up urban environment. I don't belive that my 5 year old 7520 had aGPS but I used several voice navigation programs successfully.

Hopefully that is true. I was reading something on CNet that said that my above statement was the case for the upcoming release of the Storm. Again, this is ALL speculation until Verizon actually releases the device. It would be great if Verizon did this with the Storm. I just have a really hard time thinking they would unlock the GPS for this device and this device only when they have locked down every GPS phone to date. Only time will tell.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #57
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

Verizon is advertising the Storm as another world phone. Trouble is VZnavigator does not work out of North America. If the GPS is locked I see another class action lawsuit due to not having service in Europe or elsewhere for that matter.

I wonder if my Freedom Keychain GPS will work with it?

Now where is Dawg when you need him?
Old 11-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #58
Arcangel

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

ps that boy genius article is WRONG the Storm has HSUDPA!!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 PM   #59
jnyost

Model: 9550

GPS is unlocked. You do not have to use or pay for VZnavigator. It is unlocked so you can use it out of the country.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:29 PM   #60
chrisb3

Model: 9530
PIN: 3048984C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
ps that boy genius article is WRONG the Storm has HSUDPA!!
It does, but uses a different band than what the NA 3G carriers use. So no 3G on Rogers/AT&T. Edge only.
Closed Thread