BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #41
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

Please Login to Remove!

New tactics to block stem cell research all together.

"In Georgia, a measure that would ban some forms of stem cell research on fertilized embryos is moving quickly through the state Senate. The bill would outlaw the destruction of fertilized embryos, which the legislation defines as a person. It is expected to face a vote in the full state Senate on Thursday.

Similar "personhood" measures have cleared one chamber each in Montana and North Dakota."
Stem cell research opponents in some states draw on anti-abortion fight to counter White House - Los Angeles Times
Old 03-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #42
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54
New tactics to block stem cell research all together.

"In Georgia, a measure that would ban some forms of stem cell research on fertilized embryos is moving quickly through the state Senate. The bill would outlaw the destruction of fertilized embryos, which the legislation defines as a person. It is expected to face a vote in the full state Senate on Thursday.

Similar "personhood" measures have cleared one chamber each in Montana and North Dakota."
Stem cell research opponents in some states draw on anti-abortion fight to counter White House - Los Angeles Times
Slightly OT, but I find it humorous that CDC is located in Atlanta. If this bill passes do you think they might pull up stakes? Or as a fed agency would they be exempt from the constraints of GA legislation.

I know some docs at Emory are POed big time by this regression.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #43
test54
BlackBerry Master

I would think the Georgia scientific community as a while would be upset with this if it passes. I would think the CDC might stay but perhaps any private research facilities might think about their future in the state. Might be good for my state and the Research Triangle.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #44
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High
Carrier: Verizon

I heard this story on NPR while I was driving through GA a couple days ago. Was I surprised? No. Will this cost the state jobs? If they pass it, I hope so. It will serve them right. The RTP would gladly accept additional high tech/high pay jobs I'm sure.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:29 AM   #45
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Good riddance to them from my state
Old 03-15-2009, 10:03 AM   #46
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

I'm shocked and surprised with your comment Dawg.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:05 AM   #47
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

But I'm sure you won't mind taking advantage of the outcome of their discoveries. Medically speaking.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #48
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
But I'm sure you won't mind taking advantage of the outcome of their discoveries. Medically speaking.
Nope I have already told my wife if I am diagnosed with cancer or anything fatal. I will not take treatment. I dont want to just extend agony on my family or myself. Its easier to get over death than suffering, that may sound harsh but its my belief.

As a matter of fact I am in the process of getting that put into writing by an attorney. My best friend is the person in charge not my wife. I know her emotions would effect the outcome of my suffering. He will respect my wishes.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #49
test54
BlackBerry Master

so no chemo or radiation if you have cancer, what about other health concerns?
I always wonder why people choose that option, like you said it is your choice but always want to know the reasoning behind it.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #50
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Nope I have already told my wife if I am diagnosed with cancer or anything fatal. I will not take treatment. I dont want to just extend agony on my family or myself. Its easier to get over death than suffering, that may sound harsh but its my belief.

As a matter of fact I am in the process of getting that put into writing by an attorney. My best friend is the person in charge not my wife. I know her emotions would effect the outcome of my suffering. He will respect my wishes.
We're not talking chemo and radiation here. That's old school. What if there were therapies generated out of this research that would cure you? This research that relies on an underlying evolutionary understanding of genetics. I'm sure you wouldn't turn them down.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:56 AM   #51
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Good riddance to them from my state
I know a few places in MA and MN that would gladly pony up incentives to have them located close by.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #52
test54
BlackBerry Master

If NC would be up for it too.

I would like to hear from the big opponents of Stem Cell - hear them say that they would never use any form of treatment that comes from this research. I think most of this is just for votes and publicity.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:02 PM   #53
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:

Those are your wishes and you certainly have the right to have them upheld. I believe the next 10 years will see dramatic gains and improvements over our relatively primitive current technology.

If you really want that, then you had better make sure that the wording s along the lines of "no treatment" as opposed to "no extraordinary efforts" and "do not resuscitate." Be very clear with your attorney regarding the extent of your wishes, because what you are implying here is much more than is typically requested.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:20 AM   #54
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
Those are your wishes and you certainly have the right to have them upheld. I believe the next 10 years will see dramatic gains and improvements over our relatively primitive current technology.

If you really want that, then you had better make sure that the wording s along the lines of "no treatment" as opposed to "no extraordinary efforts" and "do not resuscitate." Be very clear with your attorney regarding the extent of your wishes, because what you are implying here is much more than is typically requested.
I have had heart issues for the past two years. I take no treatment for it at all. I am not to be resesitated, I carry no heart meds at all. I also take no treatment for my diabetes. I have seen everyone of my family die from these diseases and suffer for years and years all the while taking meds that only prolong their agony. I do not want to be old and a burden to my family.

I have not taken any medications for at least 18 months now. Including as mush as an asprin.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #55
test54
BlackBerry Master

Old 03-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #56
Dawg
No longer Registered.

sounds logical to me.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:38 PM   #57
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Perhaps you would Dawg -- although hopefully for your sake and your family's that will never be an issue. However, I would place a bet that 85% of the people who say they would reject the care provided by treatments derived from stem cell research would, if the rubber hit the road, prove to be more interested in self-interest (and accept the care) than their supposedly lofty principles.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #58
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Well I cant speak for everyone, but as I stated i would not. If I died tomorrow I know where I will spend eternity so its all good for me.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #59
kathrynhr
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Dr01d
Carrier: Veri$on

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
... I would place a bet that 85% of the people who say they would reject the care provided by treatments derived from stem cell research would, if the rubber hit the road, prove to be more interested in self-interest (and accept the care) than their supposedly lofty principles.
I'm not. I would also reject them. I see very little difference in the "advances" resulting from taking stem cells from viable embryos, and the "advances" resulting from the research that Mengele did at Auschwitz.

It does matter how knowledge, and how technology, are derived.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 AM   #60
test54
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrynhr View Post
I see very little difference in the "advances" resulting from taking stem cells from viable embryos, and the "advances" resulting from the research that Mengele did at Auschwitz.
That comparison amazes me because to compare torture of people with destruction of embyos makes no sense to me.

Mengele - "In addition to his studies on twins he did a number of horrifying experiments. Once he burned several Jewish prisoners in a gigantic oven to test how long it would take for the human body to get first, second and third degree burns at certain temperatures. He also tested how much force it would require to break a (living) human skull." "Mengele was removing pieces from the stomach, but without any anesthetic. Another time, it was a heart that was removed, again, without anesthesia."

Do you really think embryos feel pain? Because I'm sure Mengele's patients did.