someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
i did that too and saw that my monthly bill dropped almost in half...but so did my overall signal strength lol. tmobile is great for the price, but you get what you pay for. in my mind, if i am already shelling out lots of money for a blackberry plan, i might as well pay a little more and have guaranteed coverage everywhere, along with EV-DO (3G) coverage everywhere too. that's just my take...but looking back on my years with tmobile and i saved around $800 by being with them instead of Verizon. eventually tho, i couldn't take certain nuisances such as not getting service in some movie theaters, or lower levels of malls, or even my grandmom's apartment building. it also didn't work in my house that great. i could dial/receive calls fine with 1-2 bars, but as soon as i picked it up to text or send an email the signal would drop and i would be without service. so...i would just type whatever i had to type and set it down which allowed it to find the signal again and successfully send.

all of my family and friends have verizon so that was an even more reason to make the switch back to verizon. i also wanted a 3G phone, which ends up being the same speed as Wi-Fi due to the processor and RAM limitations on handheld devices such as the Blackberry. of course if you were on EDGE, Wi-Fi would be MUCH faster.

overall tho, i definitely do agree that tmobile is a great deal and i saved a ton of money...and they also have great features. but when it came time to renew my contract with them or jump back to verizon, i decided to jump even after the CSR offered me the unlimited wi-fi calling for free. it was tempting, but i had to jump and join back with my friends and family, and join back with the overall great coverage everywhere etc. by the way, i live in the northeast part of the country (philadelphia suburbs, PA ...to be exact)
QFT
Old 05-21-2008, 10:46 PM   #62
JAMESOJA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
...There are enough other fanboys as you call them in this thread already so I will stay out of it.
wow, I sure hope this was'nt directed at myself for offering my opinion on why I went with the cheapest carrier. I too would still be with VZW if they had native coverage here, but no such luck.

Quote:
i did that too and saw that my monthly bill dropped almost in half...but so did my overall signal strength lol. tmobile is great for the price, but you get what you pay for. in my mind, if i am already shelling out lots of money for a blackberry plan, i might as well pay a little more and have guaranteed coverage everywhere, along with EV-DO (3G) coverage everywhere too. that's just my take...but looking back on my years with tmobile and i saved around $800 by being with them instead of Verizon. eventually tho, i couldn't take certain nuisances such as not getting service in some movie theaters, or lower levels of malls, or even my grandmom's apartment building. it also didn't work in my house that great. i could dial/receive calls fine with 1-2 bars, but as soon as i picked it up to text or send an email the signal would drop and i would be without service. so...i would just type whatever i had to type and set it down which allowed it to find the signal again and successfully send.

all of my family and friends have verizon so that was an even more reason to make the switch back to verizon. i also wanted a 3G phone, which ends up being the same speed as Wi-Fi due to the processor and RAM limitations on handheld devices such as the Blackberry. of course if you were on EDGE, Wi-Fi would be MUCH faster.

overall tho, i definitely do agree that tmobile is a great deal and i saved a ton of money...and they also have great features. but when it came time to renew my contract with them or jump back to verizon, i decided to jump even after the CSR offered me the unlimited wi-fi calling for free. it was tempting, but i had to jump and join back with my friends and family, and join back with the overall great coverage everywhere etc. by the way, i live in the northeast part of the country (philadelphia suburbs, PA ...to be exact)
I think the coverage issue in buildings is related to the GSM signal vs the CDMA signal, not carrier speciffic. Just like the tinny sound you hear with GSM. Free hotspot@home from Tmobile, not a bad offer. Like I said above, if they had native VZW coverage here, the choice would be easy, for now hotspot@home gives me all the free mins to talk to those on VZW and run up their bill.

Cheers!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #63
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMESOJA View Post
wow, I sure hope this was'nt directed at myself for offering my opinion on why I went with the cheapest carrier. I too would still be with VZW if they had native coverage here, but no such luck.

I think the coverage issue in buildings is related to the GSM signal vs the CDMA signal, not carrier speciffic. Just like the tinny sound you hear with GSM. Free hotspot@home from Tmobile, not a bad offer. Like I said above, if they had native VZW coverage here, the choice would be easy, for now hotspot@home gives me all the free mins to talk to those on VZW and run up their bill.

Cheers!

yea, i said in my post that the signal strength in buildings is due to the CDMA vs GSM technologies...not necessarily carrier specific. CDMA is better in buildings and has fewer dropped calls. the ad that cingular ran made by blood BOIL lol
Old 05-21-2008, 10:50 PM   #64
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Cheers!
my mistake, i said that in another post...forgot to say it in this post. but yea...GSM doesn't work as well in buildings.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:53 AM   #65
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I prefer CDMA over GSM -- Just wish we used the R-UIM cards like the asian CDMA phones. Would allow much greater flexibility.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:54 AM   #66
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
I prefer CDMA over GSM -- Just wish we used the R-UIM cards like the asian CDMA phones. Would allow much greater flexibility.

yep...CDMA with SIM-like cards...that's music to my ears!!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:56 AM   #67
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Yeah, it would be great!
Old 05-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #68
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

get TMOBILE, it had the best price on regular and data add on plans
i love tmobile. try it out.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:38 AM   #69
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Why by curiosity? What is the advantages of a SIM card?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:37 AM   #70
JAMESOJA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by someonexh View Post
Why by curiosity? What is the advantages of a SIM card?
Its much easier to switch handsets with a sim card, just pop out the sim and go. US- CDMA(non sim) requires you to call the provider or go online and "re-activate" the device. Much more user friendly to just swap SIM cards for users who like to switch handsets.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #71
elisabeth4583
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 3117cbc2
Carrier: sprint

I have sprint and I like it, the everything plan for 99 bucks is great, and the curve from sprint comes with a memory card. my coverage is good, but not as great as verizon's is. I've been with sprint for 10 years so they're pretty good to me....I do have a friend who works for sprint and now that they've changed their business practice to caring more about exsisting customers versus trying to attract new customers my customer service experience has been great. I was not due for an upgrade yet on my phone, and was supposed to pay full price for my curve...one call to CS and I got it for the same price as a new customer would get it for. MMS sucks, but hey...you can't have everything. Verizon's coverage can't be beat, but they too have drawbacks.
It's a personal choice, I like sprint...you may like verizon, I certainly would never say one is better than the other especially with all the other carriers, gone are the days when sprint and verizon monopolized the industry. Good luck with YOUR choice...everything always works out in the end!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #72
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Its much easier to switch handsets with a sim card, just pop out the sim and go. US- CDMA(non sim) requires you to call the provider or go online and "re-activate" the device. Much more user friendly to just swap SIM cards for users who like to switch handsets.
hmm to me it sounds easier to get your phone stolen. But who knows. I don't really "switch" unless I buy a new phone and it only takes a minute or two to call them / go online anyways.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:25 AM   #73
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Yo can also save stuff onto the SIM card which makes transferring phones even easier. Examples of what you can save are text messages and contacts
Old 05-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #74
someonexh
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Yo can also save stuff onto the SIM card which makes transferring phones even easier. Examples of what you can save are text messages and contacts
I guess... with me I use my computer to back up that stuff.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #75
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
wow, I sure hope this was'nt directed at myself for offering my opinion on why I went with the cheapest carrier.

Cheers!

No I quoted who it was directed at
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 PM   #76
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth4583 View Post
I have sprint and I like it, the everything plan for 99 bucks is great, and the curve from sprint comes with a memory card. my coverage is good, but not as great as verizon's is. I've been with sprint for 10 years so they're pretty good to me....I do have a friend who works for sprint and now that they've changed their business practice to caring more about exsisting customers versus trying to attract new customers my customer service experience has been great. I was not due for an upgrade yet on my phone, and was supposed to pay full price for my curve...one call to CS and I got it for the same price as a new customer would get it for. MMS sucks, but hey...you can't have everything. Verizon's coverage can't be beat, but they too have drawbacks.
It's a personal choice, I like sprint...you may like verizon, I certainly would never say one is better than the other especially with all the other carriers, gone are the days when sprint and verizon monopolized the industry. Good luck with YOUR choice...everything always works out in the end!
What I like about Sprint is the unlimited data for laptops. Truly unlimited. I have AT&T with 5 gig limit. Verizon is the same way. Ive never been with sprint, but the truly unlimited data plan is causing me to consider them at least for my laptop.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 05-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #77
Dodge DeBoulet
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
What I like about Sprint is the unlimited data for laptops. Truly unlimited. I have AT&T with 5 gig limit. Verizon is the same way. Ive never been with sprint, but the truly unlimited data plan is causing me to consider them at least for my laptop.
Sprint's not unlimited anymore.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #78
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
No its still unlimited. Read it a little bit more carefully:

Quote:
Sprint reserves the right to limit throughput speeds or amount of data transferred and to deny, terminate, modify, or suspend service if usage exceeds 5GB per month in total or 300MB/month while off-network roaming. Check your subscriber agreement rights on Sprint.com.
It says they RESERVE the right to limit throughput while off-network roaming. In no way does it say it is a policy to limit throughput. And even if they did say they WOULD, it says WHILE OFF-NETWORK ROAMING.

I make sure I am always in-network. And there is a setting usually to disable roaming so it is a non-issue.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #79
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet View Post
I was wondering when that would happen

Last edited by Dawg; 05-22-2008 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 02:21 PM   #80
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
I was wondering whan that would happen
Its still unlimited. It says they reserve the rights to limit WHILE ROAMING. Most people tend to stay in-network and not roam. So for 90% of the people this is a non-issue.

Closed Thread