Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:49 PM   #101
kenjunior
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Ver(izonAll)Tel

Please Login to Remove!

Got it activated. Yes, jskolm85, you were correct, Alltel didn't have both BES and BIS set. It is set now and everything comes flying in, in fine fashion.

BUT, I can't SEND anything via the "desktop" (my corp email address). Always gives red X on the message. I can send via my BIS account still just fine.

Last note, BB IT support said 4.5 is due out 7-10 days............... FWIW. Told him GOOD cause I am using it now and don't want to have to back down just to send email from my company account.

KJ
Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 PM   #102
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

After an OS upgrade, you need to perform an Enterprise Activation for your BES email to work.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:54 PM   #103
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjunior View Post
Got it activated. Yes, jskolm85, you were correct, Alltel didn't have both BES and BIS set. It is set now and everything comes flying in, in fine fashion.

BUT, I can't SEND anything via the "desktop" (my corp email address). Always gives red X on the message. I can send via my BIS account still just fine.

Last note, BB IT support said 4.5 is due out 7-10 days............... FWIW. Told him GOOD cause I am using it now and don't want to have to back down just to send email from my company account.

KJ
check the BES admin section of the forums here... it sounds like you do not have the proper 'Send As' permissions set up in Active Directory for you to be able to send from your BB. Also, you may be in a protected group in AD. Are you in the Administrator group? That will block you from being able to send emails from your BB. (there are work arounds though, just look in the BES admin section)
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #104
kenjunior
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Ver(izonAll)Tel

Nailed it again, jskolm85. Yes I am a member of the Domain Admin group. Followed the "send as" solution and wollah. Done, out goes email from my corporate account.

Now I am ready to be gone for a week <grin>. I have scheduled a week of training next week and really wanted to have company email going.

thank you, I owe you a six pack!

KJ
Old 11-11-2008, 06:06 AM   #105
rajones19
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Did the upgrade on 10/31 when it first showed up, and it's been working fine - no speaker blast, no degradation in quality, more memory available. One really annoying glitch I'd love to solve is the browser homepage - every few days, when I go 'home' to then go to my bookmarks, I'm forced to download and install the Facebook application before I can get home. This requires a reboot, of course, and since I don't/won't ever use Facebook, it's doubly annoying. Has anybody found a way around this? Thanks in advance ....
Old 11-13-2008, 07:19 AM   #106
omkhar
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 0xDEADBEEF
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Annoying things:
  1. Speaker phone blast
  2. When trying to activate the camera, I get a message stating "Could not start the camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again."
Old 11-20-2008, 11:15 PM   #107
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm getting a little frustrated.

I deleted BOTH Vendor.xml files on my system. DM finally recognizes there is an update available and even gives me a choice between 4.5.0.77 (what I have on the BB now) and 4.5.0.97.

It says, "Select the updates to install on your device".

I uncheck 4.5.0.77 and check 4.5.0.97

It searches for available software and comes back with "no software update is required for your device" and nowhere can I find it to load it.

I also tried to use JL Cmdr and I can't get a wipe using it. But I've given up on that...I just used the function on the handset itself.

does anyone know why my DM recognizes an upgrade available, yet when it searches for files says there is none?

I uninstalled 4.5.0.77 from my computer so that is definitely not still installed.
Old 11-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #108
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW Bold

Confirm this, you have 97 on your PC, you want to load this OS on your BB, Do you have a Vista PC, is so follow this. Fix Discovered for OS Upgrade Gone Haywire! | BlackBerryNews.com

Also if your connected to the internet, disable the connection while you update that should also help.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:36 AM   #109
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerog46 View Post
Confirm this, you have 97 on your PC, you want to load this OS on your BB, Do you have a Vista PC, is so follow this. Fix Discovered for OS Upgrade Gone Haywire! | BlackBerryNews.com

Also if your connected to the internet, disable the connection while you update that should also help.
Wow...thank you! I actually went to bed unsuccessful and decided to try new today. So I got up, rolled back to prior to when I started last night and instead of uninstalling the older OS I kept it. I also kept DM 4.6 (last night I was trying to do this with DM 4.7).

So now I have 4.5.0.97 on my phone. I just have to remember how I get my Splash docs updated (well, SplashID and SplashShopper...I have money taken care of).

But thank you for the quick and helpful post. I do have Vista so when I upgrade to DM 4.7 I will include this step.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM   #110
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
I'm getting a little frustrated.

I deleted BOTH Vendor.xml files on my system. DM finally recognizes there is an update available and even gives me a choice between 4.5.0.77 (what I have on the BB now) and 4.5.0.97.

It says, "Select the updates to install on your device".

I uncheck 4.5.0.77 and check 4.5.0.97

It searches for available software and comes back with "no software update is required for your device" and nowhere can I find it to load it.

I also tried to use JL Cmdr and I can't get a wipe using it. But I've given up on that...I just used the function on the handset itself.

does anyone know why my DM recognizes an upgrade available, yet when it searches for files says there is none?

I uninstalled 4.5.0.77 from my computer so that is definitely not still installed.
I had this same problem. I just replaced my Curve and had to upgrade the OS again. I was using DM 4.7 and I was getting the same issues that you were having. I rolled back to DM 4.6 and everything was fine and I was able upgrade to .97
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #111
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

So at least I'm not crazy. I just uninstalled DM 4.6 and was going to put 4.7 on, but now you have me wondering if I should just leave it at 4.6.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #112
jskolm85
Thumbs Must Hurt

You can try it out.... maybe it was something that we were both doing wrong originally. I personally liked DM 4.7 when loading apps and themes from it, because it was 'faster'. Some as long as you are not upgrading your OS again for a while, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. But I am sticking with the DM 4.6 for now.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:34 PM   #113
bravy02

Carrier: Sprint

I also get the speakerphone blast with 4.5.0.97 but everything else seems to be working great.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #114
corybarwick
Thumbs Must Hurt

Seems that this speakerphone blast is running wild out there. I have it as well. Any intel from anyone as to when there could possibly be a fix to this (e.g. a new beta that will address the issue)? I keep searching the internet for one, but alas, no such luck. The blast is becoming so annoying to me that I am considering going back to 4.3 until a new beta is out (it's really bad when the phone is in vibrate but let's not go there...).

Anyone have any idea how to fix this in .97???
Old 11-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #115
zerog46
iPhone Mod!

Carrier: VZW Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskolm85 View Post
You can try it out.... maybe it was something that we were both doing wrong originally. I personally liked DM 4.7 when loading apps and themes from it, because it was 'faster'. Some as long as you are not upgrading your OS again for a while, it probably wouldn't hurt anything. But I am sticking with the DM 4.6 for now.
When you update your OS on DM 4.7 just disable your internet connection and your should be ok. It's a pain but it works for me.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #116
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

I know this thread is about 4.5.0.97 but I'm having some issues that I'm not certain are related to the OS or the new DM 4.7.

I can't back up...I get an error message at the point that it just "finishes" MMS options. I get an unknown error.

I did a search here (http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ckup-fail.html) and only found one other person with the exact same error, but they appear to be on the AT&T network. Unfortunately the fix they found was to downgrade the OS. I'm on a BES...those guys are getting irritated with me that I keep knocking myself off. AND...I have noticed that 4.5.0.97 did fix the annoying phone delay. I hate to have to go back.

Synchronizing is also haphazard. It works, then it doesn't, then it does. I'm going to try rolling back to DM 4.6 to see if my problems go away but I have a bad feeling....

I also seem to have the loudspeaker issue, intermittently. However, as said above, the delay I was experiencing when answering the phone is gone.

ETA: Well, after searching and reading here, I tried the fix that worked for some (clear Browser cache). Didn't work. I tried doing an advanced back up and I pulled everything over except the app it was freezing/erroring on before. The app in the list just before that app then caused a freeze/error. So removed that, and the app before THAT one caused the freeze/error. Then I tried to back up each app causing the error by itself, and they all backed up just find individually.

The only other fix I saw was people rolling back the OS. So here I sit, rolling back the OS. And not too happy about it since in the process I'll knock myself off the BES for the 4th time since starting down this road called Blackberry. IT has been pretty nice to me thus far because they think I know what I'm doing...ha.

It will be interesting to see if others report issues with backing up with this version. It could just be some weird configuration on mine (I admittedly have quite a lot of third party apps).

Last edited by French; 11-21-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Old 11-22-2008, 02:07 PM   #117
French
Thumbs Must Hurt

I thought I would follow up.

I am now running 4.5.0.77 and DM 4.6 and everything is working as you would expect it to. Well, I think it is. A backup performs without error. All apps are working. Phone seems stable. I haven't received enough calls to determine if the delay I was experiencing is back, or the speaker blast. Synchronization is working 100% of the time now.

About the only thing that I'm not certain of is this. I decided to do a full back up including third party apps using the instructions on this site, and the temporary folder with my PIN number, while time stamped 11/22 (today), all files inside that folder are time stamped 11/20. I noticed that when I did this method of backup back on 11/9, the folder itself AND all files within were time stamped 11/9. Does anyone know if I should be concerned?

Actually...I should probably make that a new post.

Anyway...happy testing to those of you who had better luck than I, but has anyone else tried to do a backup with 4.5.0.97?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #118
dunbarb

I installed .97 last night. .77 was fine, but after a while I started noticing the mem. leak. I also read that people were saying it was faster than .77. I def. noticed the smaller mem. leak, that seems to be taken care of in .97. I'm not really seeing the speed that everyone was referring to though.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:13 PM   #119
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

With .77 I had about 25 MB after a battery pull, with .97 I've got like 46 MB. So memory is alot better with .97, my BlackBerry does seem alot quicker but that is probably because the extra free memory.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #120
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
With .77 I had about 25 MB after a battery pull, with .97 I've got like 46 MB. So memory is alot better with .97, my BlackBerry does seem alot quicker but that is probably because the extra free memory.
Wow, can a new OS really create 20MB of new space? I didn't notice a huge gain in free memory after a battery pull on either OS, but did notice the free memory after several days of use is higher on .97 than it was on .77.
Closed Thread