Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #41
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

I have really gotten better at typing on the Storm. It has been a rather frustrating journey, however I think I have it down now.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #42
Blackberryer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

I have had no issues with the keyboard. I'm as fast as I was on my Curve. Perhaps I have an advantage due to previously using an i Phone, this keyboard is easily better.

I have been really impressed with how smooth and fluid typing is.
Old 12-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #43
PaulSch

Model: 9530

My thumbs are killing me! Any keys and/or buttons along the screen edges are requiring a lot of force to make the click. Well maybe not a lot of force but much more than anywhere else. Is it only mine or has anyone else noticed that?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:17 PM   #44
FBuzin

Carrier: VZW

Tedious... Though a good number of my co-workers have tested them, I just got mine today. Wow, I have never returned a Blackberry in my 10 years of using them. Sure on the qwerty models the keys keep getting smaller and closer together, but we manage.

But this puppy, as pretty as it is, is likely going back. Just setting the date was frustrating beyond belief. i.e. Mon Nov 8, 2008... Took forever to select the "8," and once I did and changed it, trying then to select "Nov" to change it to "Dec" (which I should have done the 20 times or so I previously selected it in error) changed the day of the month on me. Additionally, there was delay and a sluggish feel that I was hoping a firmware upgrade to .75 would help with, but alas it is already there. A Monday wired on coffee was not a good time to mess with this for sure.

I just can't take the productivity hit with this thing right now. I'm use to cranking out hundreds of emails, usually short replies utilizing a lot of autotext, a day in quick bursts at lunch and sitting in traffic. I don't see how that will be possible with this thing.

So far most of my users that have been approved to test them (the Storm isn't officially approved in my company due to internal tech support docs not existing yet and a few other concerns) have returned them too. My Bold numbers continue to climb on the BES but the Storm numbers have been going up and down daily since it's release. Most folks have not asked to keep them beyond a few days. Looking at stats on the BES and after talking to a few users that I know say they like them (hard to know everyone when you have 9,000 Blackberry users across 3 BES enviroments), the ones keeping it are the same guys that seldom actually *send* email anyway.

Before I box it up though I will give it the week. I want to get SMIME going on it and work up a PDF with screen shots anyways for the techs.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #45
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

It's a very slow and long adaptation for long time BB users... I find that I am typing at about 1/3 the speed as with my Curve... No worries though, I love the device and for me at least, it's worth the extra typing effort! i hope in time I speed up a bit as my fat fingers prevent me from even using qwerty mode and I find I type much better in suretype mode....

Kris
Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #46
searly
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: Mine...

The learning curve for me was longer than I thought it would be. I can tell you one thing, however, after doing the torx screw adjustment, it made all the difference in the world. I noticed a few posts up that someone was having trouble with tired thumbs.. I too was having this problem as the end or corner keys took more effort to press than center keys. The torx screw adjustment took care of that issue 100% for me. I did 3/4 turns on both.

I have been pretty liberal with the little tweaks and mods due to the fact that I was pretty disappointed with the device from day one, and always planned on returning it after the 30 trial period anyway. However, since the new OS (.75) the biz card trick behind battery and the torx screw adjustments, I have been pretty pleased. I also have BBWeather working as well as Berry411, so I am pretty content right now. Once I can get Google Apps back on it and Live Search is back up and running, I feel like I made the right choice to stick with it.

But, I will tell you again, the learning curve was PAINFUL!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #47
VictoriaJoan

Model: storm

Okay i am new to BLACKBERRY... but not to querty keyboards, its a little weird to get used to ... u dont feel the keys... but i love my storm except for the battery life... but cell batteries suck anyway regardless.

~Victoria
Old 12-18-2008, 11:40 AM   #48
xGMiLLZx

Model: pearl
Carrier: t-mobile

i love the keyboards but, id say that i like the portrait view alot better great phone i give it a 10 out of 10
Old 12-21-2008, 09:20 PM   #49
FBuzin

Personally I am trying to get use to mine and stick with it... But as a company (with just over 12,000 BBs now worldwide), we have as of Friday taken the Storm off our procurement website and it's purchase will not be allowed. In my 10 years of using and supporting Blackberry devices, this is the first time a device has not been approved.

As for my own experience, I can't see the day when it will ever be possible to type as fast and accurately as before, but I am willing to take a hit there (contrary to what I originally thought) for some of the other features... once they aren't so slow and buggy.

Went from .75 to .76 and saw some improvement. Just gave .83 a try last night and it fixed my issues with the device locking up when ending a video recording... but alas I am not seeing any other improvements. In fact counter to what a few others have reported, I am see more delays in moving from portrait to landscape.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:19 AM   #50
njhusker

Patiently waiting for OS upgrades before making any big decisions. I like the concept of the device. Things like unexpected errors, not being able to click on buttons in cursor mode on many websites, grainy video, overly sensitive camera (need a tripod to take clear pics), etc., are a pain but I am learning thanks to this fine forum.

As for the keyboard, I have gotten used to it and getting better every day. I will most likely keep the phone simply due to the hassle associated with switching...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #51
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom

I have activated the first Storm on our BES. We have a password policy, so I was asked to type a new password. In landscape mode, I had to type my password 5 times until I got it right. Once I was in, I was impressed with the functionality, but typing is a no go. Also, I am missing all the shortcuts of the Bold: I use "T" to go to the top of a page, "U" to go to the next unread mail and many others. We will stay on the Bold for the moment.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:27 AM   #52
david_uk
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
I have activated the first Storm on our BES. We have a password policy, so I was asked to type a new password. In landscape mode, I had to type my password 5 times until I got it right. Once I was in, I was impressed with the functionality, but typing is a no go. Also, I am missing all the shortcuts of the Bold: I use "T" to go to the top of a page, "U" to go to the next unread mail and many others. We will stay on the Bold for the moment.
I think you've summed up the whole point about Storm in a business environment. It's a great browsing and entertainment device, but as an emailer or phone it's just not as convenient as physical QWERTY.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #53
FBuzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
Also, I am missing all the shortcuts of the Bold: I use "T" to go to the top of a page, "U" to go to the next unread mail and many others. We will stay on the Bold for the moment.
I think staying with the Bold is a good move if you do a lot of emails... that said, you can do what you are saying in landscape mode (which is the only way I do emails on the Storm). You just need to pop up the keyboard by swiping your thumb up from the bottom, then press the letter. Then swipe your thumb down the keyboard to get it out of the way. Same deal with the saved searches, just a tad harder. Say you want to see only 'incoming' emails. On the older BBs you would do ALT+I for this. On the Storm, you bring up the keyboard, hit the !?123 key once then hit the '-' key.

Last edited by FBuzin; 12-22-2008 at 11:49 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #54
joec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Cool

I am on my 2nd storm after having the original replaced becasuse the left and right end of the screen would not click anymore. The replacement phone was terrific at first. My typing speed was more than acceptable. However after only one week of use, the screen is once again not clicking on the ends. This makes fast typing so difficult.

I don't think it makes sense to try for another replacement because it looks like it is a design flaw.

If RIM could fix this problem, typing speed could come very close to matching the curve or Bold.

In spite of the screen problem, I just love the other features of this phone and will keep it and hope for a fix in the future...
Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 PM   #55
bbmike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: Telus

I've been using QWERTY blackberries exclusively until the Storm. It does take some time to adjust to the touch screen, like any other habit that deviates from your comfort zone. I have progressed over the past few days. I have not had it a week yet. Loving it though.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #56
NYSStorm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBuzin View Post
I think staying with the Bold is a good move if you do a lot of emails... that said, you can do what you are saying in landscape mode (which is the only way I do emails on the Storm). You just need to pop up the keyboard by swiping your thumb up from the bottom, then press the letter. Then swipe your thumb down the keyboard to get it out of the way. Same deal with the saved searches, just a tad harder. Say you want to see only 'incoming' emails. On the older BBs you would do ALT+I for this. On the Storm, you bring up the keyboard, hit the !?123 key once then hit the '-' key.
Exactly! At the same time, you could also go ahead and assign the keyboard as one of your convenience keys and then do the rest from there. I've gotten mighty frustrated with the swipage to turn the keyboard on or off so I decided to do this! you'll notice that.. you'll get used to it in a snap!
Old 12-24-2008, 01:33 PM   #57
FBuzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSStorm View Post
Exactly! At the same time, you could also go ahead and assign the keyboard as one of your convenience keys and then do the rest from there. I've gotten mighty frustrated with the swipage to turn the keyboard on or off so I decided to do this! you'll notice that.. you'll get used to it in a snap!
Yeah, I went the other way though. I started with assigning a key to the keyboard first, but after I got use to the swipe I assigned it to something else (same deal with the other key I had assigned to Application Switcher). Too many things to do... not enough convenience keys.
Old 12-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #58
silver-eagle

Default Storm Impressions

The storm is my second BB; the first, an 8830 World Edition, supplied by my company. Overall impression is favorable. It replaces my personal Win 5 pocket pc. I find the keyboard easy to use with a little practice. It's better than the pocket pc touch screen where you could only use the stylus though not as good as the full slide out keyboard. The screen keyboard reminds me of a full stroke keyboard with the tactile "feel" and audible click. With the font size I use, I get about 7 lines on the screen while the keyboard is displayed.
I do have a problem with "suretype". I'm going to need a lot of work with that option. I havent figured out how to get the words I want and generally prefer the "multitap" keyboard.
The phone number keys are better than those on the 8830. They are large "buttons" with the numbers and letters on the keys. The 8830 overlays the phone keypad on top of the qwerty keyboard.
It's not to hard going between the Storm and the 8830 and I've managed to get them both configured similarly. They are about the same size and physically the same weight.
It has its quirks but who among us don't. Give it a good test drive before you condemn it. I think I'll keep it.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #59
regener8ed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

having read much of the reviews regarding this feature prior to owning the storm, i was prepared to experience some frustration or disappointment. however; my experience thus far has been nothing but positive - i think it's a remarkably brilliant implementation.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #60
JonB27

Model: Storm

I've always used qwerty keyboards. everyday I use the storm it gets easier and I like it more and more. It was slightly frustrating the first day though.
Closed Thread