BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #1
briguy691970

Model: pearl
Default Can BES work with small business server

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all

Quick question --- Can I install BES 4.1 on a windows small business server 2003 box ??

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

NO.

Exchange in general will throw a fit when a MAPI client is installed on the same server. Exchange in a SBS context is even more finicky.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:31 AM   #3
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

OK, this thread will quickly fill up with "yes it works" and "no, don't do it" and you'll end up with no idea which way to turn. The reality is that you probably could get it to work, but any decent admin wouldn't advise it.

As CanuckBB states, Exchange doesn't like MAPI clients on it's server so you'll potentially run in to issues even though many people may have been running it fine for X amount of time. Not to mention this is an unsupported configuration from RIM, so BBF will be your only means of support. Guess what'll happen when you create that "my BES doesn't work after installing on SBS" thread.....you'll get a ton of replys saying "why did you install it on Exchange"....."unsupported config"........."rookie admin"!!!!

Your choice

Old 12-20-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

You could install it - whether it would be a good idea or not would depend on what else was on the SBS box, and how vital it was to your business, and what BES components you were installing. If the SBS server is just a test box in a corner that you want to test out a new BES version on, then fair enough.

Possible clashes (other than Outlook of course) include port 8080 - The BES MDS will try and use that, and so will Sharepoint.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
mike m
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckBB
NO.

Exchange in general will throw a fit when a MAPI client is installed on the same server. Exchange in a SBS context is even more finicky.
Can we expand on this with some discussion?

I have been running BES 4.1 on SBS 2003 for about 8 months, so it CAN be done. I'm not trying to start an argument, I would like to understand better the position(s) of those who say it cannot or should not be done.

CanuckBB, your reasoning is that there is an issue with Exchange and MAPI clients on the same box. From what I have read in other threads here, I understand that the BES is not a MAPI client, but requires one to run. I also read the preferred MAPI client (for BES) is the Exchange System Manager, which is already installed as part of Exchange on SBS.

In general, I find it interesting that so many people here dismiss it as not possible, when you can follow RIM's install document completely and without exception (and that is the key to getting it to run) to setup BES on SBS, while at the same time, there are many people here who find ways to make other things work that require complete manipulation of the setup processes.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:05 AM   #6
itcontractorltd

Model: 7100
Carrier: o2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike m

I have been running BES 4.1 on SBS 2003 for about 8 months, so it CAN be done. I'm not trying to start an argument, I would like to understand better the position(s) of those who say it cannot or should not be done.

CanuckBB, your reasoning is that there is an issue with Exchange and MAPI clients on the same box. From what I have read in other threads here, I understand that the BES is not a MAPI client, but requires one to run. I also read the preferred MAPI client (for BES) is the Exchange System Manager, which is already installed as part of Exchange on SBS.

In general, I find it interesting that so many people here dismiss it as not possible, when you can follow RIM's install document completely and without exception (and that is the key to getting it to run) to setup BES on SBS, while at the same time, there are many people here who find ways to make other things work that require complete manipulation of the setup processes.
I too have got BES running on SBS 2003 and things is working fine.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
BBAdmin

Model: .
Carrier: .

What did I say this thread was going to tun in to!!!! Poor guy probably doesn't know what to do now, nice one guys!

We all know that it runs on SBS, but we also all know you can run a car on urine...but many wouldn't!!!

Old 12-22-2006, 08:20 AM   #8
CanuckBB

Quote:

Semantics. That BES itself is not a full blown MAPI client is irelevant, It requires one to run.

Quote:
We don't dismiss it as not possible. We don't recommend it.

1) RIM does not support BES installed on thew Exchange server.
2) MS does not support Exchange with an installed MAPI client installed on the server
3) SBS is different. Software bundled with SBS has been hackedand tweaked by MS to run on the same box. Try to configure a SBS box without going through the wizard to see how quickly you can kill your system.

Can BES be installed on a SBS server? Sure it can. But you have to be willing to go it alone.
Considering the user limitations of SBS, it would not require a very large system to run BES. Any decent workstation class hardware would do. You can also get BES to run under XP. Not suported by RIM, but better odds to talk your way through than BES on the Exchange box.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:34 AM   #9
mike m

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBAdmin
What did I say this thread was going to tun in to!!!! Poor guy probably doesn't know what to do now, nice one guys!

We all know that it runs on SBS, but we also all know you can run a car on urine...but many wouldn't!!!
My point was, this is a discussion board and I was hoping to get a technical discussion on the 'why' or 'why not'.
Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 AM   #10
mike m

Quote:
Semantics. That BES itself is not a full blown MAPI client is irelevant, It requires one to run.

2) MS does not support Exchange with an installed MAPI client installed on the server
And the MAPI client is already installed on the SBS server as part of SBS by MS. MS does support SBS.

Quote:
3) SBS is different. Software bundled with SBS has been hackedand tweaked by MS to run on the same box. Try to configure a SBS box without going through the wizard to see how quickly you can kill your system.
I may not know a lot about the inner workings of BES, but I do know SBS. Everything that you can do with the wizards, you can do without them. You just need to know all of the steps. The wizards just automate the task.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
CanuckBB

Quote:
And the MAPI client is already installed on the SBS server as part of SBS by MS. MS does support SBS.

I may not know a lot about the inner workings of BES, but I do know SBS. Everything that you can do with the wizards, you can do without them. You just need to know all of the steps. The wizards just automate the task.

Yes, MS supports SBS. But SBS IS a different animal. Whether MS would also support with BES installed is a different matter. and RIM won't support it.

You're right, you can do without the wizard, but you can screw it up a whole lot more and faster than a non-SBS.

MS just didn't throw off the shelves W2K3, Exchange and ISA on a CD and called it SBS. Those apps were tweaked to work together.

This discussion is pointless as always. Best practice is BES on it's own. I can get a Dell server, with windows, for $1,500 CDN. I personnaly don't think saving that kind of money is worth the aggravation of running an unsupported config.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #12
mike m

Exclamation Looks like it is supported by RIM...

Here is a link to a RIM Knwledge Center Document that explains:
Recommendations_for_installing_BlackBerry_Enterpri se_Server_Express_or_BlackBerry_Enterprise_Server_ Small_Business_Edition_on_an_Exchange_Server_or_Sm all_Business_Server.pdf

From the bottom of page 1:
Note: You can install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express on the computer hosting the Exchange Server or the Microsoft Small Business Server if you have 15 BlackBerry device users or fewer. This also applies to BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Microsoft Exchange and BlackBerry Enterprise Server Small Business Edition.
Old 12-22-2006, 02:25 PM   #13
voiceBerry

Model: 71xx
Default Yes, you can

The answer is title.

Because, I have installed BES4.1 on Microsoft small Business server package.
with Exchange 2003 sp2

It works good.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:56 PM   #14
BOHIC
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Just adding that I have a Domino BES on SBS and have never had any issues with it. I'm surprised to hear this configuration isn't supported because I thought that the research I did before purchasing the BES and SBS said it was, but that was over a year ago now. Anyway, we don't do anything with Exchange at my company, so if you're asking about an Exchange BES, I'm no help at all
Closed Thread