BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
glengarry

Model: 8300
Carrier: vodafone
Default 8300 Curve - Camera & Card Reader

Please Login to Remove!

My work have just given me an 8300 Curve. It is an Enterprise version and they've turned off web access, which is kind of ok.

But... somehow they've also turned off the camera and the card reader / media player.

Does anyone know how to switch these back on again whilst retaining the other security settings?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Not if the IT policy is pushed from a BES. You could load a default IT policy on it, but it'll just get reset from the BES. Unless your BES admin is willing to unlock those features, there isn't much you can do.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:52 PM   #3
glengarry

OK, thanks.

I'm not sure if the exclusions were actioned by the BES or by the IT guy doing it manually. If the latter, is there a device based switch for these apps?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
gfisher99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: AT&Tingular

Sounds like they have that stuff turned off for a reason, and it probably shouldnt be messed with. Companies do things like this for compliance reasons, and you trying to hack it could expose your company to non-compliance.

I am the BES Admin for an engineering firm of 4500 employees (1100 BB Users). The things we restrict are restricted for a reason. I found a guy that tried applying a blank policy as instructed above, so I just turned up the Policy Resend time to every 12 hours. When he tried to do it again, he was removed from the BES, and excluded for 6 months. His supervisor wrote him up and told the user that if he were to do it again, he would be terminated.

At the end of the day, you need to ask yourself if using a camera and media card are worth all the troubles and possible consequences. Then you make the decision. Always remember that if the company bought it for you, its theirs, and they can do whatever they want to it.

If you simply cant live under those restrictions, get your own Curve, use BIS, and take pics til you're blue in the face

HTH
Greg

Last edited by gfisher99; 07-12-2007 at 01:02 PM..
Old 07-12-2007, 02:20 PM   #5
he1neken
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glengarry View Post
OK, thanks.

I'm not sure if the exclusions were actioned by the BES or by the IT guy doing it manually. If the latter, is there a device based switch for these apps?
No, there is no way to lock out the camera / memory card on the device itself. If they are disabled, it is from IT policy on the BES.

As gfisher99 said, you really don't want to be trying to circumvent the IT policies pushed by the company. This is not default policy on the BES, so they obviously had a reason to disable those features.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
glengarry

Thanks fellas.

Appreciate the comments.
Will enquire direct with the BES Info Sec guys.
Closed Thread