Old 12-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Mudinyeri
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Outlook calendar events through OWA and BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Is anyone else having problems with Outlook calendar events not showing up when accessing OWA thru BIS? Any fixes?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
zduchene
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I didn't know you could sync your BB calendar with OWA...what is the process to set that up?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
dhendriksen

I am on BES, so I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure BIS doesn't sync with OWA.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:51 AM   #4
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
I am on BES, so I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure BIS doesn't sync with OWA.
It does sync with OWA. If you go into the BIS website from a PC, select create new account. When putting in the details make the password incorrect. When the new account setup connection times out, you will be prompted to try again or to setup providing the settings manually. Choose to provide the settings and on the next screens you should be able to select OWA, IMAP, and etc. I haven't done it in a while but I have two clients that I setup their BB's to use OWA with their Exchange Servers, both of which are Verizon customers.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:02 PM   #5
bubbatex

Carrier: VZW

Thom - Email syncs, but calendar and contacts do not with BIS.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #6
dhendriksen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
Thom - Email syncs, but calendar and contacts do not with BIS.
That is what I thought. If there is a way to sync contacts and calendar via BIS and OWA, I would love to hear about it. The BES is great, but to my knowledge that is about the only way to achieve this.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
That is what I thought. If there is a way to sync contacts and calendar via BIS and OWA, I would love to hear about it. The BES is great, but to my knowledge that is about the only way to achieve this.
I took your statement about OWA to mean that BIS did not support it for email. If you followed what I wrote, it described how to setup a BIS account using OWA.

I did not mean to imply you could sync your calendar or contacts through OWA and BIS. I apologize up front. But to throw something out there about OWA and the calendar...if someone sends you a meeting request and you accept it, that will be added to both your Outlook calendar and your BB. That was added into BIS when it was upgraded to version 2.3.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Thom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Here is a thought... You could setup your Outlook to sync to a Google Calendar. On your BB you could download the Google Sync application to then pull in your Outlook calendar. I believe you could use this for sync'ing contacts as well.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #9
Mudinyeri

Mine seems to intermittently "sync" calendar events. I haven't quite figured out what the trigger is yet. I know if I receive the e-mail through OWA and accept it on the Blackberry it "syncs." However, I've also had some calendar events show up on my Blackberry calendar that I accepted on my PC. Changes to existing calendar events don't seem to sync at all.

Anyone else playing with this and seeing any clear trends?
Old 01-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
zduchene

Maybe the blackberry automatically accepts invites via email and adds them to the calendar...I don't think it is possible to sync unless you are using desktop manager or a BES.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Maybe the blackberry automatically accepts invites via email and adds them to the calendar...I don't think it is possible to sync unless you are using desktop manager or a BES.
If you receive an Ical invite via email it will add it to your calendar when you open, hit menu> and accep the meeting. The problem is unless you get it in Ical format it will not attach to calendar.

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs

Last edited by Thatzmister2u; 01-08-2009 at 02:47 PM..
Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM   #12
Mudinyeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Here is a thought... You could setup your Outlook to sync to a Google Calendar. On your BB you could download the Google Sync application to then pull in your Outlook calendar. I believe you could use this for sync'ing contacts as well.
Corporate security policies prevent the download and installation of applications like Google Sync so this won't work for me.

It appears that if I forward my work calendar events to my personal e-mail and accept them on the Blackberry they consistently show up on the calendar on my Storm. That's a bit of a hassle, and I can't very well ask everyone who sends me calendar events to send them to both my personal e-mail and my work e-mail, so I'm going to keep tinkering.

Anyone with other ideas, I'm open to hearing them.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #13
zduchene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudinyeri View Post
Corporate security policies prevent the download and installation of applications like Google Sync so this won't work for me.

It appears that if I forward my work calendar events to my personal e-mail and accept them on the Blackberry they consistently show up on the calendar on my Storm. That's a bit of a hassle, and I can't very well ask everyone who sends me calendar events to send them to both my personal e-mail and my work e-mail, so I'm going to keep tinkering.

Anyone with other ideas, I'm open to hearing them.
Setup a BPS Express on a computer at your office...?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Mudinyeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by zduchene View Post
Setup a BPS Express on a computer at your office...?
I guess I should have been more specific. Corporate security policies prevent the download and/or installation of any "unauthorized" application, i.e. application not provided by our IT department.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #15
Mudinyeri

Thought I would update this topic in case it's of interest to anyone else ...

Outlook calendar events e-mail to an account utilizing BIS sync will show up on the Storm. Simply accept the event on the Storm, not on the desktop or laptop, and the meeting will show up on the Storm. Deletions and updates must be processed the same way. Essentially, you must manage your entire calendar from the Storm rather than your desktop or laptop.

When you send out a meeting request, you must copy yourself on a different e-mail address, e.g. a home address, and accept the request on the Storm.
Closed Thread